Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

7 minutes ago, SERK said:

Travelers who don’t need a passport on a closed loop cruise would think differently if they had some sort of emergency that caused them to stay outside U.S. and miss the ship. Then they will need one to fly back. Think of it as added insurance. Without one while stranded complicates everything. 

Agree, at some point, cruise travel will require a passport, who knows when, but would simplify everything greatly removing all questions.  

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Actually the EDL is more strict than REAL ID (and the EDL does satisfy the REAL ID requirements). When you apply for an EDL you go through the same process as you would if you applied for a passport card.

That is absolutely correct. When we got our EDL, we were told by the DMV representative that the EDL is the MOST secure. More than the Real ID. We had to show our passports, DL, Social Security cards, and proof of residency to obtain it. We cross the Canadian border frequently, so now I no longer need to bring my passport to do so.

20 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

That is absolutely correct. When we got our EDL, we were told by the DMV representative that the EDL is the MOST secure. More than the Real ID. We had to show our passports, DL, Social Security cards, and proof of residency to obtain it. We cross the Canadian border frequently, so now I no longer need to bring my passport to do so.

Can you point me to where I can read that?

11 hours ago, Cruiser Joe said:

Right - I was confused on this.  Carnival's website talks about EDL. I don't know if they mean EDL or the more strict Real ID.

But since the website doesn't mention Real ID at all, it's likely they still mean EDL.

EDL is much more secure than Real ID.  A EDL, from one of the few states that issue them, is a stand alone travel document in certain circumstances.  The Real ID is just a new Fed standard for drivers licenses meaning the state has verified the holder is using their true identity, something they should've done to begin with.  A Real ID DL is not a stand alone travel document.

I would be careful just depending on an enhanced driver's license to cruise.

The purpose of the enhanced license was to give US citizens that routinely cross back and forth into Canada an ID that would not require carrying a passport.

That is why the states that do offer the enhanced licenses are border states with Canada.

While the purpose does state ports,  it is considering "commuter" ports where ferries go between the two countries.

There was thread a while ago (I don't remember the cruise line) where someone started the thread about being denied boarding from a California port when trying to use just an enhance license (no birth certificate) from Washington State. 

4 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

We had to show our passports, DL, Social Security cards,

really, my social security card has been in my banks safe deposit box for 20+ years, i have never been asked anywhere by anybody to see it

I believe the real benefit of an EDL card for those traveling between the States and Canada is that the card can be read from as far as 30 feet (or more) away, depending on the Reader's power.  I'm assuming that this allows folks to drive through with minimal stopping at the to talk with an officer at the border.  

https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/520434.pdf

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, coevan said:

really, my social security card has been in my banks safe deposit box for 20+ years, i have never been asked anywhere by anybody to see it

4 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I believe the real benefit of an EDL card for those traveling between the States and Canada is that the card can be read from as far as 30 feet (or more) away, depending on the Reader's power.  I'm assuming that this allows folks to drive through with minimal stopping at the to talk with an officer at the border.  

Yup! I had to dig mine out of my safe! I’m retired and haven’t shown it for years! Also, my passport, current DL, and proof of residency (utility bill). It cost me $94, and my hubby’s was $194 because it was a commercial EDL.

9 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

While true, it has no value for domestic Air travel which real ID has.  

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

EDL is much more secure than Real ID.  A EDL, from one of the few states that issue them, is a stand alone travel document in certain circumstances.  The Real ID is just a new Fed standard for drivers licenses meaning the state has verified the holder is using their true identity, something they should've done to begin with.  A Real ID DL is not a stand alone travel document.

As of 10/1 it is for domwstic air

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While true, it has no value for domestic Air travel which real ID has.  

Was reading the link below (check out the the gantt chart at the bottom).  It shows that EDL gives you more than REAL ID.  Not only can you use it for domestic flights, You can use it like a passport card too.   

https://dmv.ny.gov/which-id-right-me

24 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Was reading the link below (check out the the gantt chart at the bottom).  It shows that EDL gives you more than REAL ID.  Not only can you use it for domestic flights, You can use it like a passport card too.   

That is correct. It is MUCH more secure than the Real ID, as was stated to me by the DMV representative that gave me mine. 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

I had to show mine for a real ID compliant DL in Florida. You can now only renew online once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I get it but not all states offer it hence my reply.  

7 hours ago, SERK said:

Travelers who don’t need a passport on a closed loop cruise would think differently if they had some sort of emergency that caused them to stay outside U.S. and miss the ship. Then they will need one to fly back. Think of it as added insurance. Without one while stranded complicates everything. 

There are provisions in the regulations to waive the passport requirement for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. The only risk is a delay in returning (how much of a delay would depend on the circumstances) and if one has zero tolerance for delay then of course having a passport would minimize that. But of course this is only IF something happens on the cruise and that is a low risk proposition for many. Each traveler has to determine their risk tolerance and plan accordingly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree, at some point, cruise travel will require a passport, who knows when, but would simplify everything greatly removing all questions.  

Since DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security I doubt that anything will change any time soon.

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I would be careful just depending on an enhanced driver's license to cruise.

The purpose of the enhanced license was to give US citizens that routinely cross back and forth into Canada an ID that would not require carrying a passport.

That is why the states that do offer the enhanced licenses are border states with Canada.

While the purpose does state ports,  it is considering "commuter" ports where ferries go between the two countries.

There was thread a while ago (I don't remember the cruise line) where someone started the thread about being denied boarding from a California port when trying to use just an enhance license (no birth certificate) from Washington State. 

If they were denied boarding they didn't have a bona fide EDL, I have read threads where someone thought that they had one, but only had a REAL ID compliant license. An EDL may be used at sea ports of entry returning from Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean just like the passport card. 

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Since DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security I doubt that anything will change any time soon.

I certainly have no insight, that said, there are so many questions and the world as we know it now, certainly is not safer.  I have seen much less important things change for less meaningful reasons.  

We have had a client displaced for medical reasons from a cruise and as you previously stated, you can get back, the issue is time and effort.  I have no dog in this fight and understand the cost factor, but if one more stringent requirement (passport) applies across the board, there are no questions, nobody gets denied on copies of this or that.  Hopping down from  soapbox now.  

Edited by jimbo5544

28 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Again, is it offered in all 50 states (which realid is)?

Why does that matter?  Bottom line is it works for those who have them not only for anything that requires Real Id and in place of a passport in some circumstances.