Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

21 minutes ago, back.2.cruising said:

So although not recommended, a regular drivers license and birth certificate is fine currently? 

That is correct (it can't be a hospital birth certificate of course and you have to be on a closed loop cruise).

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Why does that matter?  Bottom line is it works for those who have them not only for anything that requires Real Id and in place of a passport in some circumstances.

I will move on after this post, the point is people who don’t have them and try to get them (edl)won’t be able to.  Obviously those who do are fine.  Realid is the baseline mandate for domestic air as of 10/1.   It is not a competition or a popularity contest. 

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will move on after this post, the point is people who don’t have them and try to get them (edl)won’t be able to.  Obviously those who do are fine.  Realid is the baseline mandate for domestic air as of 10/1.   It is not a competition or a popularity contest. 

But the people that live in states where they are issued can still get them. 

• Like 1

unless cruising is your only vacation and never plan on leaving the country, you don't "need " a passport. I, personally would not leave U.S. soil without a passport. Kind of the same reason we always buy travel insurance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

unless cruising is your only vacation and never plan on leaving the country, you don't "need " a passport. I, personally would not leave U.S. soil without a passport. Kind of the same reason we always buy travel insurance.

And there are likely very many who meet that very definition. Since I can leave US soil ny taking a left turn out of my driveway and driving 8 miles I have a different view (as do a great many of my neighbors). All foreign travel is not the same.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

And there are likely very many who meet that very definition. Since I can leave US soil ny taking a left turn out of my driveway and driving 8 miles I have a different view (as do a great many of my neighbors). All foreign travel is not the same.

True....you were not referring to Bernie as your neighbor....right😉

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I certainly have no insight, that said, there are so many questions and the world as we know it now, certainly is not safer.  I have seen much less important things change for less meaningful reasons.  

We have had a client displaced for medical reasons from a cruise and as you previously stated, you can get back, the issue is time and effort.  I have no dog in this fight and understand the cost factor, but if one more stringent requirement (passport) applies across the board, there are no questions, nobody gets denied on copies of this or that.  Hopping down from  soapbox now.  

I would suggest that requiring a passport of all would have a serious impact on cruise lines. If people do their research they wouldn't be denied, either and if they don't want to do the research then they're better off getting the passport.

Just now, sparks1093 said:

I would suggest that requiring a passport of all would have a serious impact on cruise lines. If people do their research they wouldn't be denied, either and if they don't want to do the research then they're better off getting the passport.

Well it certainly makes tracking people easier....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Not really, we all end up in the same database regardless of which documents we use.

My guess is scanning passport numbers makes it easier, not where the data is stored, border entry and entry to the US is serious business. 

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

My guess is scanning passport numbers makes it easier, not where the data is stored, border entry and entry to the US is serious business. 

On a cruise we're all vetted during the cruise so by the time we disembark the hard work is done.

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I still have no idea what you are talking about.  Your claim is simply incorrect and I believe you are doing nothing but confusing people who do not understand how the two differentiate.

Real ID is nothing mystical, it is a simple driver's license that was issued using the criteria set forth by the Fed's to confirm true identities because the states were doing such a poor job.

EDL's exceed the Real ID standard in all aspects, they meet the Real ID standard and the additional standards to allow it to be used for some forms of international travel.  They are still available to anyone who wants them if they live in a state that issues them.

As you say, Real ID is the baseline, EDL's meet and exceed that standard.  An EDL is a Real ID drivers license and  passport card all in one.

2 hours ago, ray98 said:

I still have no idea what you are talking about.  Your claim is simply incorrect and I believe you are doing nothing but confusing people who do not understand how the two differentiate.

Real ID is nothing mystical, it is a simple driver's license that was issued using the criteria set forth by the Fed's to confirm true identities because the states were doing such a poor job.

EDL's exceed the Real ID standard in all aspects, they meet the Real ID standard and the additional standards to allow it to be used for some forms of international travel.  They are still available to anyone who wants them if they live in a state that issues them.

As you say, Real ID is the baseline, EDL's meet and exceed that standard.  An EDL is a Real ID drivers license and  passport card all in one.

As I said I moved on. 

48 minutes ago, ray98 said:

A "Thanks for helping me sort it out" would've worked also.

Lol, I was moving on because we were not really communicating well.  I was simply stating facts, was not confused.  But if it helps...thanks!

Edited by jimbo5544

On 1/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Do I Need a REAL ID

Does anyone know if passport is sufficient for visiting a federal facility or do you need real id?  In PA it was recommended to not get the Real Id until renewing license if you didn't need it (have passport).  The illustration implies differently.

5 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Does anyone know if passport is sufficient for visiting a federal facility or do you need real id?  In PA it was recommended to not get the Real Id until renewing license if you didn't need it (have passport).  The illustration implies differently.

Not sure what you mean by federal facility, but I think passport would meet the benchmark at any level.  

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

The infographic references military base, but I've also heard federal courthouses or Social Security offices - possibly VA hospitals.

If a passport gets you in thecountry, my bet is it can get you in all you mentioned.  

• Thanks 1