Sailing with non-enhanced driver's license?

Qchell

35 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I prefer to limit federal government. I'm not advocating anarchy but common sense does dictate that we learn from our failures. I just try to keep my eyes on truth and not get lost in "that's just the way it is". I think we can do a better job of being accountable with our constitution.

but u are phrasing this in your posts that this is something that is being required. It’s not. I don’t know if it varies state to state but in Ohio you certainly don’t have to get a real ID. I just renewed my license and the girl just asked ‘do you want the federal one or the regular one’. Completing optional, completely by choice. So turning this into nazi Germany and being forced to carry papers is a huge over reach. 

Living is a right and still requires no ID. Driving is a privilege and requires a license. Flying is a privilege and requires ID. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

You do know that NPR is owned by government entities right? 🙂 Using the government to fact check itself lol sorta like using Snopes to fact check something anti-democrat. 😂

I have also read the same thing in other sources, which aren't as quotable on the internet.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

but u are phrasing this in your posts that this is something that is being required. It’s not. I don’t know if it varies state to state but in Ohio you certainly don’t have to get a real ID. I just renewed my license and the girl just asked ‘do you want the federal one or the regular one’. Completing optional, completely by choice. So turning this into nazi Germany and being forced to carry papers is a huge over reach. 

Living is a right and still requires no ID. Driving is a privilege and requires a license. Flying is a privilege and requires ID. 

I never said you have to have a RealID but you will have to in Oct., unless you have a passport, if you want to fly domestically.

I hate the phrase Driving is a privilege because it is a government regulated activity that didn't exist until it did and it started out as purely an identification card that didn't even require an exam. Over the years it was adopted by every state and came under increasing standards. But there are people that do not belong in a car that's for sure. lol

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy

10 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I saved $850 by not buying passports for our first two cruises (and saved $300-ish on our next few cruises), never once thought about removing the gratuities to save money. Millions of people cruise on closed loop cruises every year with something other than passport and I seriously doubt that a significant percentage of them are removing gratuities.

A passport is 110.00 and good for 10 years.  That 11.00 per year is money well spent IMHO since I then have the option to fly to another country to enjoy my vacation if I choose to.  Could you  please explain how you came to save 1,150.00 by not purchasing passports?

And regarding the gratuity removal......on my Horizon cruise last August, they were wrapped around the central atrium multiple times, substantially over a hundred people.

10 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

A passport is 110.00 and good for 10 years.  That 11.00 per year is money well spent IMHO since I then have the option to fly to another country to enjoy my vacation if I choose to.  Could you  please explain how you came to save 1,150.00 by not purchasing passports?

And regarding the gratuity removal......on my Horizon cruise last August, they were wrapped around the central atrium multiple times, substantially over a hundred people.

Maybe they were just questioning something on the bill.  

9 hours ago, zipper1 said:

So you're still saying stupid things. Must be your thing.

No Zipper....just reinforcing the fact that there are a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers that are cheapskates.  Nothing stupid about this statement, it's 100% fact.  Have seen it on Carnival for over 30 years now.  They will do anything to save a buck and that includes standing in line on the last sea day to remove gratuities.  They may even smuggle on booze.  This is why bottles of water and soda are no longer allowed to be carried on.  They will cut corners to save money wherever they can and if they can save 11.00 per year by not investing in a passport, that's just another way to save a buck.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe they were just questioning something on the bill.  

We both know that the majority of them are removing grats.  You've been on Carnival 39 times Jimbo, you know the reality.  It does indeed happen on all of the mainstream lines, but the longest lines I have seen are on Carnival and my lone cruise on MSC.

43 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

He said they were a family of 7 when they started cruising and since a child's passport is only good for 5 years those would have required renewal.

32 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

We both know that the majority of them are removing grats.  You've been on Carnival 39 times Jimbo, you know the reality.  It does indeed happen on all of the mainstream lines, but the longest lines I have seen are on Carnival and my lone cruise on MSC.

You know nothing of the kind unless you questioned well over half of them and they all said that is what they were doing. Why do you want to cruise with all those cheapskates anyway. You’re claiming guilt by association for others.

4 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I am traveling RT out of Miami 12/20 on a Western Caribbean (Caymen, Belize, Cozamel, and Roatan).  If we get the enhanced drivers licenses, are we good without Passports?

Thank You

Yes.

12 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I thought the states of New York, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing enhanced drivers licenses.

Perhaps you mean REAL ID ?

I believe you are correct

42 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I just checked and it says, “Real ID Compliant License.”  I didn’t get mine yet.  I didn’t know there were 2 different things and am not sure I understand the difference now.  I didn’t get mine yet.

It is one or the other.  If you are not in the states mentioned it is Realid

1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

I just checked and it says, “Real ID Compliant License.”  I didn’t get mine yet.  I didn’t know there were 2 different things and am not sure I understand the difference now.  I didn’t get mine yet.

Did you read any of the previous posts?

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

. Why do you want to cruise with all those cheapskates anyway. You’re claiming guilt by association for others.

That's why I enjoyed my time hanging out in the Havana  area  during  the day and at the Alchemy  Bar at night.  No cheapskates at either place. 

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I thought the states of New York, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing enhanced drivers licenses.

Perhaps you mean REAL ID ?

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I believe you are correct

End the confusion and just pony up for a passport. 

11 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I never said you have to have a RealID but you will have to in Oct., unless you have a passport, if you want to fly domestically.

I hate the phrase Driving is a privilege because it is a government regulated activity that didn't exist until it did and it started out as purely an identification card that didn't even require an exam. Over the years it was adopted by every state and came under increasing standards. But there are people that do not belong in a car that's for sure. lol

Numerous courts have held over the years that driving isn't a right, so it is a privilege whether you like to hear it or not. Sometimes the public safety does require regulation (and as you point out we have a lot of people that don't belong behind the wheel of a car, just imagine how many it would be if no standard existed).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I've already explained it in a subsequent post- family of 7 back then passports would cost around $850 for all of them. And it's not $110. My son just applied for his first passport (since he's joining us on our trip to Germany this year) and the total with all of the fees was $162. If you have the ability to fly to another country then yes, the passport can be a good choice for you. For us, for many years and many reasons (5 come immediately to mind) flying anywhere was out of the question. Everybody's circumstance is different and there are options that work for some and those options worked for us for 6 years until our travel needs changed. And 100 people out of a few thousand is not a significant percentage (even if all were in the line for the same reason) and has been mentioned it is something that happens on other cruise lines as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is one or the other.  If you are not in the states mentioned it is Realid

And even if you live in one of the issuing states you only have an EDL is you specifically request one and provide the documentation that goes along with it (and the extra fee, at least in Vermont's case). 

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's why I enjoyed my time hanging out in the Havana  area  during  the day and at the Alchemy  Bar at night.  No cheapskates at either place. 

Oh, I know many people who are loaded who fall into the category of cheapskate.🙂

• Like 1