Cruise Critic Community
Eddie Wilson

Bad luck or can we fix this on board?

I did not plan to post this question but in the past few days I have read several threads of people having success at rearranging dinner.

Background in short, DW and I were sailing Serenade last Feb, loved it so much while on board we booked on Explorer for this Feb. Upon returning home for months we were guilty of telling everyone we know how much we LOVED the cruise.  A couple of old childhood friends, after hearing our experiences, called us months later to say “we booked on your same upcoming Explorer sailing!”

Now the issue...we want to coordinate dinner times with them, they did not know our dinner preference and chose MTD, we are on a main dining time.  We have linked the reservations, but can’t coordinate the time (only choice was 8:45 or so MTD)   

We have called, and based upon info received on these boards, recently emailed rcldining.  Their response was not curt, but somewhere in the neighborhood of ......can’t help, that’s your tough luck.   

Now we can’t be the first group to book without knowledge of the others facts, who would like to dine together. Do you think we can go to the dining room upon boarding and coordinate this?  Or is it just tough luck?  

Obviously this is easy to overcome at original booking, but in this case, the reservations were not coordinated up front, and we can’t fix that.

Eddie

Contact the maitre d about a month before the cruise or see him as soon as you board.It's an easy fix.

9 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Contact the maitre d about a month before the cruise or see him as soon as you board.It's an easy fix.

Do you have info on contacting the maitre’d prior to boarding?  I have already called and emailed.

I was just wondering how to contact the maitre'd on the Liberty if anyone has that email I would appreciate it and hope you are able to get your problem solved.  

If one of you guys would switch your reservation from say, MTD to main dining (call your TA if booked through one) then you can have the reservations "linked". This way is easier to have it set up to be at the same table. You can also, as others have said, move your reservation to MTD and see the maitre'd once on board. 

21 minutes ago, TYMAN said:

If one of you guys would switch your reservation 

This is the necessary first step.

Even if your friends could get a MTD booking at the same time as your traditional time, you would be on different decks of the MDR.

Either you need to switch to MTD, or they need to switch to your traditional dining time, or else the whole thing is going nowhere fast.

The other option of course, is to skip the MDR and dine elsewhere if you really want to eat with your friends. Tha could be in the Windjammer, or you could get a dining package and eat in specialty restaurants.

This happened to us.  We were MDR and the other couples wanted MyTime. We asked to be wait listed for MyTime and were eventually granted it about a month before departure. Were able to link after that.

If all else fails before your cruise, please make sure to speak to the Maitre D' as soon as you board the ship.  Then politely make your request.  You won't be the only ones there to see the Maitre D'...often times, there's a long line.  They will usually accommodate you. 

Happy Sailing!

5 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We have called, and based upon info received on these boards, recently emailed rcldining.  Their response was not curt, but somewhere in the neighborhood of ......can’t help, that’s your tough luck.   

Now we can’t be the first group to book without knowledge of the others facts, who would like to dine together. Do you think we can go to the dining room upon boarding and coordinate this?  Or is it just tough luck?  

Obviously this is easy to overcome at original booking, but in this case, the reservations were not coordinated up front, and we can’t fix that.

We have run into a similar issue for our upcoming cruise.  Eight years in a row with RCCL and they have always managed to book our group (15-30 people) together for dining at the same time at several tables near each other.  We always book early, around 5:45, so this was never a problem...til this year.

We booked the cruise 2 years in advance and when I talked to the agent looking after our group, they told us that all the MTD early reservations were  already full.  All our group reservations are linked already.  She offered our group 6:30 for 4 nights and 7:45 for the other 4 nights.  I took them and planned to talk to the maitre'D when we boarded to get us earlier times hopefully.

Several weeks later we checked our reservations using the app and half our group had no reservations, about half had some reservations, and my cabin had all 8 nights done as they said they would.  I called in and the new agent apologized for the error of their agent, but the earliest they could offer was 7:45 each night for those without reservations.  Not a good time to begin dinner for young children.  I took what they could offer and emailed RCCL dining a week ago but have not yet heard a response back from them.

I know people will say it is MTD, so just show up, but that cannot be done for groups of 21, like our group.  I know I can try to fix things up when we board, but the one year we did not get it arranged prior to boarding, they could only resolve the issue after the first night, so we are hoping to get things fixed up ahead of boarding.  If our requests are  not met, we will have some families dining at different times than their parents due to the error on the part of the RCCL agent.  Hopefully they can resolve our issue prior to boarding, or at least prior to the first dinner.  Fingers crossed.  Not sure what else we can do other than make sure that the post-cruise survey they ask for 10's on we give them a very low ranking or adjust our tips due to the poor service we received in not accommodating our family's dining request.  For now, I just need to wait and be patient.

I hope your issue can be resolved prior to boarding so you do not have to worry about it til you cruise.

5 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Do you have info on contacting the maitre’d prior to boarding?  I have already called and emailed.

Deleted...wrong forum.

Edited by davekathy

11 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

We have run into a similar issue for our upcoming cruise.  Eight years in a row with RCCL and they have always managed to book our group (15-30 people) together for dining at the same time at several tables near each other.  We always book early, around 5:45, so this was never a problem...til this year.

We booked the cruise 2 years in advance and when I talked to the agent looking after our group, they told us that all the MTD early reservations were  already full.  All our group reservations are linked already.  She offered our group 6:30 for 4 nights and 7:45 for the other 4 nights.  I took them and planned to talk to the maitre'D when we boarded to get us earlier times hopefully.

Several weeks later we checked our reservations using the app and half our group had no reservations, about half had some reservations, and my cabin had all 8 nights done as they said they would.  I called in and the new agent apologized for the error of their agent, but the earliest they could offer was 7:45 each night for those without reservations.  Not a good time to begin dinner for young children.  I took what they could offer and emailed RCCL dining a week ago but have not yet heard a response back from them.

I know people will say it is MTD, so just show up, but that cannot be done for groups of 21, like our group.  I know I can try to fix things up when we board, but the one year we did not get it arranged prior to boarding, they could only resolve the issue after the first night, so we are hoping to get things fixed up ahead of boarding.  If our requests are  not met, we will have some families dining at different times than their parents due to the error on the part of the RCCL agent.  Hopefully they can resolve our issue prior to boarding, or at least prior to the first dinner.  Fingers crossed.  Not sure what else we can do other than make sure that the post-cruise survey they ask for 10's on we give them a very low ranking or adjust our tips due to the poor service we received in not accommodating our family's dining request.  For now, I just need to wait and be patient.

So exactly to whom are you planning to give a low rating and reduced tips? Surely not the waitstaff who had absolutely nothing to do with the mixup. 

29 minutes ago, gerif said:

So exactly to whom are you planning to give a low rating and reduced tips? Surely not the waitstaff who had absolutely nothing to do with the mixup. 

The maitre'D if he can not fix his fellow RCCL's employee's error.

28 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

The maitre'D if he can not fix his fellow RCCL's employee's error.

So the “scorched earth” approach of penalizing the one who didn’t cause the problem and couldn’t fix it just so you feel vindicated.  Gotcha.