California Coast with small kids

Taking my 4 and 6 year old kids (by myself... single mom) on a Princess California Coast cruise with stops in San Francisco, Monterey, and San Diego.  Does anyone have recommendations on things to do with small kids on our own in port?  Also, would walking to the aquarium in Monterey be too far for the kids?  Would it be better to book that one through the cruise ship?

Thank you!!

Walk to the aquarium is 1.3 miles... about a 25 minute walk each way.  It's a very nice walk... Also keep in mind, the aquarium is very large and will require a lot of walking too.  Should be fine.  I did Disneyland with a 4, 6, and 7 year old... a lot a carrying for the 4 year old.

Monterey CA is a tendering port, meaning it has no docking facilities (wharf or quay) for large vessels. Cruise ships anchor in front of the harbor and their passengers are transported / ferried to the town via tender boats. Disembarkation and embarkation ashore is done at Fisherman's Wharf.

San Francisco, there is Pier 39 (tourist pier -- has restrooms, restaurants, shops, candy store, and sea lions to view) and Ghirardelli Square (ice cream and chocolate) that would be a lot of fun for the kids... all along the water.  There is a National Park with an old sailing ship that is fun to visit ($).  Lots of street artists along the way.

San Diego -- a visit to the San Diego Zoo is your best bet.  Take an Uber or Taxi.  The zoo is so large that you could easily spend a whole day there. 

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The better idea might be to take  a cab to the Aquarium, which the kids will totally love...it's great for adults as well. Its a fair walk...doable, but still a walk. 

Thank you!  I was hoping to avoid bringing car seats (and not sure what to do with them while we are wandering around)... it may be best to just do the aquarium thru the cruise line to avoid the hassle of travel with car seats...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Walk to the aquarium is 1.3 miles... about a 25 minute walk each way.  It's a very nice walk... Also keep in mind, the aquarium is very large and will require a lot of walking too.  Should be fine.  I did Disneyland with a 4, 6, and 7 year old... a lot a carrying for the 4 year old.

Monterey CA is a tendering port, meaning it has no docking facilities (wharf or quay) for large vessels. Cruise ships anchor in front of the harbor and their passengers are transported / ferried to the town via tender boats. Disembarkation and embarkation ashore is done at Fisherman's Wharf.

San Francisco, there is Pier 39 (tourist pier -- has restrooms, restaurants, shops, candy store, and sea lions to view) and Ghirardelli Square (ice cream and chocolate) that would be a lot of fun for the kids... all along the water.  There is a National Park with an old sailing ship that is fun to visit ($).  Lots of street artists along the way.

San Diego -- a visit to the San Diego Zoo is your best bet.  Take an Uber or Taxi.  The zoo is so large that you could easily spend a whole day there. 

Thank you very much!  The distance to the aquarium helps a lot... I think it would be walkable if I bring a stroller for the 4 year old or I may go thru the ship to minimize bringing the stroller.

It seems like there are options close to port in San Francisco and San Diego or going towards the zoo. 😊

We visit Monterey often.  There is a free shuttle run by the City at certain times of the year that stops at the head of the pier and goes to Cannery Row and the Aquarium.   Check the city www site for dates that it runs.  Just a suggestion there will be a lot of people who will try to get on at the head of the pier.  If you walk over the plaza to the front of the Monterey Plaza hotel the shuttle will stop there before it picks up at the pier and you will already be on it.  Also coming back from the Aquarium walk a little down Cannery Row and get on at the stop before the one in front of the aquarium  

In San Francisco take them to the Ice Cream Museum.  It's not really a museum but a bunch of fun.  You have to buy tickets in advance and get a specific time for entry.  It's really cool.  You would have to Uber there from the port or take the Muni bus, which is easy and runs from right in front of the pier.  Take the historic "F" line buses.  

San Diego Zoo is top of the must see things.  But if you don't want to do that then just walk down through Seaport Village people watch and buy a kite to fly.  There is also a Child's Museum at 200 W. Island just a few block from the port.     

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 9:42 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We visit Monterey often.  There is a free shuttle run by the City at certain times of the year that stops at the head of the pier and goes to Cannery Row and the Aquarium.   Check the city www site for dates that it runs.  Just a suggestion there will be a lot of people who will try to get on at the head of the pier.  If you walk over the plaza to the front of the Monterey Plaza hotel the shuttle will stop there before it picks up at the pier and you will already be on it.  Also coming back from the Aquarium walk a little down Cannery Row and get on at the stop before the one in front of the aquarium  

In San Francisco take them to the Ice Cream Museum.  It's not really a museum but a bunch of fun.  You have to buy tickets in advance and get a specific time for entry.  It's really cool.  You would have to Uber there from the port or take the Muni bus, which is easy and runs from right in front of the pier.  Take the historic "F" line buses.  

San Diego Zoo is top of the must see things.  But if you don't want to do that then just walk down through Seaport Village people watch and buy a kite to fly.  There is also a Child's Museum at 200 W. Island just a few block from the port.     

Thank you so much!  I will check the city's website for the trolley and check out the ice cream museum, it sounds like something the kids would enjoy!

On 1/27/2020 at 9:00 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Besides the Zoo, Balboa Park features dozens of attractions. One hidden gem is the San Diego Model Railroad Museum. It’s 32,000 sq ft of model trains and has some of the largest model railroad exhibits in the world. Kids get in free.

https://www.sdmrm.org/permanent-exhibit

Thank you!  I will check that out!

On 1/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, Bertaef said:

I also would recommend aquarium by the bay in San Francisco it is right next door to where we dock in San Francisco.  

Perfect - thank you!!  I was hoping to find something close that we could walk to and visit in San Francisco.

I haven't been to the SF aquarium so can't speak personally.  However, I have family who have done both the SF and Monterey.  They rate the Monterey much better than SF.  It would be a shame to miss the Monterey aquarium and keep in mind Monterey for the most part is an "adult" town.  By that I mean bars, restaurants, golf courses, etc; so not a lot hands on stuff for kids.  

I don't know why I forgot the SF Exploratorium just down the street at Pier 15.  It's the perfect place for kids your age to burn off energy.  Lots of hands on stuff for them to do.  We took our kids there when it was at the old location and now they take their kids to the current location. 

If you still want to do the Museum of Ice Cream you can take the cable car.  It's a few blocks up Bay Street from the pier to catch the Powell/Mason car and get off at Powell & Post then walk a few blocks to MIC.   

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I haven't been to the SF aquarium so can't speak personally.  However, I have family who have done both the SF and Monterey.  They rate the Monterey much better than SF.  It would be a shame to miss the Monterey aquarium and keep in mind Monterey for the most part is an "adult" town.  By that I mean bars, restaurants, golf courses, etc; so not a lot hands on stuff for kids.  

I don't know why I forgot the SF Exploratorium just down the street at Pier 15.  It's the perfect place for kids your age to burn off energy.  Lots of hands on stuff for them to do.  We took our kids there when it was at the old location and now they take their kids to the current location. 

If you still want to do the Museum of Ice Cream you can take the cable car.  It's a few blocks up Bay Street from the pier to catch the Powell/Mason car and get off at Powell & Post then walk a few blocks to MIC.   

Thank you!  I have reserved the Monterey aquarium through the ship so that I don't have to worry about transportation with the kids.  We would have done both aquariums... however, thank you so much for the recommendation for the Exploratorium!!  I was able to look it up and it looks perfect and very close to walk to!!