Diamond Plus Perk now Taken Away on Anthem!

yogimax

59 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why not just save money and book a Suite if you desire access to SL/CK. You would enjoy it. Probably cheaper than fast tracking and a better experience. 

I don't desire access to either. Did you read some place that I did?

• Like 1

With all the upper tier C&A members  maybe it might be time to get ride of the Diamond Lounge  all together.  Just have a happy hour at one of the venues for a set time each day for all upper tier members . Then make the remaining CL to suite lounges and allow access only to suite guest as well as Coastal Kitchen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why not just stay in a Suite and not worrying about it. 

Thanks I do.  Just got off two weeks on Liberty and enjoyed the suite lounge for two weeks. On ships that have SL I have booked them for the past 3 years as a D+.  Those with CL I have used my C&A perk.  When I booked Serenade it was not called a SL.  

23 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Sounds reasonable to me. 

mac_tlc

Mac hope to see you and your wife on Royal or MSC. 

Havent cruised MSC since 2018 but will be back on this June for 2 weeks on Seaside.

Cabins are definitely smaller than CLS but the service and Yacht Club enclave makes up for smaller stateroom.  The match status is great as you get 5% off.  

20 hours ago, twangster said:

MSC has a 3 year status window.  Don't cruise within 3 years, lose your status.  

31 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Sounds reasonable to me. 

mac_tlc

So on one hand long term upper tier people are a problem then on the other hand RCI should incentivize them to book even more frequently? How does that solve a crowding issue? If someone cruises once every  3 to 4 years or an even longer interval does their status really create that much of a problem? And how high up are they really going to get cruising at that interval?

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

In post 261 you said it was a great idea to sell access to CK/SL, did you not🤔

I don’t think it was an acceptable idea but why not make it for Suites only and those that pay for access  The pay for access should be very limited and by reservation only (onboard). Seems P’s would be eliminated. My comment was as great idea was “sarcastic “.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

And really long term cruisers really aren’t the ones they want anyway. They want the new cruiser that will book excursions through the ship, buy the photo packages, the drink packages and all the other little extras that someone that has sailed dozens of times won’t spend money on. 

Without those long term cruisers I wonder if the ships would still sail full at the rates that RCI is charging. Plenty of people are one hit wonders. Not everyone who tries cruising falls in love with it. It is wise to keep a returning base of clients. And that is especially true as more options and inventory become available yearly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't desire access to either. Did you read some place that I did?

Actually, I quoted the wrong post (yours). Sorry. I thought Graham had said he would book JS for fastrack to D++ if they were allowed access to SL/CK. My point was, why not enjoy the fastract in a full suite. Same points and have access to SL/CK. 

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Without those long term cruisers I wonder if the ships would still sail full at the rates that RCI is charging. Plenty of people are one hit wonders. Not everyone who tries cruising falls in love with it. It is wise to keep a returning base of clients.

I agree, loyalty brings guaranteed bookings.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Actually, I quoted the wrong post (yours). Sorry. I thought Graham had said he would book JS for fastrack to D++ if they were allowed access to SL/CK. My point was, why not enjoy the fastract in a full suite. Same points and have access to SL/CK. 

I did in response to a poster who suggested D+ at 340 points got SL access and as a 250 point D+ we would fast track to qualify in a JS for double points.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Without those long term cruisers I wonder if the ships would still sail full at the rates that RCI is charging. Plenty of people are one hit wonders. Not everyone who tries cruising falls in love with it. It is wise to keep a returning base of clients. And that is especially true as more options and inventory become available yearly.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree, loyalty brings guaranteed bookings.

Agree with you both.  The more I question if my loyalty is appreciated the more I consider sailing other lines.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

Agree with you both.  The more I question if my loyalty is appreciated the more I consider sailing other lines.

I agree.

Our last cruise was a 15 night Princess cruise and our next is a 14 night P&O cruise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I think loyalty will become really important to them again when the economy tanks and they’re having to fill all these massive ships. Just like the last time, it’s not going to be the first time cruisers filling those beds... 

Let’s just hope it doesn’t tank. It has been great the last 3 years. D+ Might Be Important Again if it tanks. 

MD+GA

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

8 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I think loyalty will become really important to them again when the economy tanks and they’re having to fill all these massive ships. Just like the last time, it’s not going to be the first time cruisers filling those beds... 

This is more evident with airline programs that qualify annually.  When the economy tanks they start offering crazy things to gain flyers.  Double or triple qualify miles, free lounge access.  No long term liability since the status is lost at year's end. 

Cruise lines are in a different spot.  They can weather a downturn better.  In fact Royal said their biggest mistake during the last downturn was not being more aggressive in expanding and adding more ships.   

They are better off doing things like sending bottles of wine to cabins unexpectedly.  There are soft changes they can make to motivate repeat business without committing them into a permanent loyalty program.  A surprise specialty dinner for example.  A surprise upgrade.  They'll be careful hard coding benefits into a program knowing they have to live with them once the economy comes back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachChik said:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s sad that people with sail or not sail a certain line due to free stuff? Free stuff that’s worth pennies compared to the money spent on the actual cruise. 

And really long term cruisers really aren’t the ones they want anyway. They want the new cruiser that will book excursions through the ship, buy the photo packages, the drink packages and all the other little extras that someone that has sailed dozens of times won’t spend money on. 

Wow...how out of touch can one be? BIG assumptions on your part with no data to  back up what you are spewing. Let me fill you in on how it really works: Each Diamond member  in reality is a loyalty ambassador. Clearly they have enjoyed the brand enough Royal identifies them as a Diamond (and beyond). The company makes out by using this loyalty program as a marketing tool ( Ask your self how many times have you spread the word to potential cruisers Royal is the best option).  The Diamond (and beyond) makes out in a feel good fashion because they are identified and enjoy an enhanced cruise. The upside monetary benefit to the cruise line is unlimited. A problem arises when the cruise line no longer values the loyalty ambassador and therefore it results in a negative effect. Similar to what seemingly is starting to happen here with RCCL. Soon my 4-5 per year cruises go elsewhere as well as my free marketing advice to potential new cruisers. 

Your assumption brand loyalty cruise for free stuff is ludicrous. It is not about free stuff, it is about recognition. Your assumption the cruise line prefers new cruisers because they spend more is even more ludicrous and even obnoxious. As I have laid out for you in plain English the D and above cruisers have unlimited value regardless of what their final sign and sail accrual becomes. To be quite honest,  in my case, I spend more each cruise than I did from the first few cruises I traveled. Proven fact the majority of folks, as they move on in years become more financially stable. If you would like to dispute my statements, I suggest you reach out to the Marketing Department of RCCL  (or any cruise line) for further education. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

They will fill beds with low prices, just like last time

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Wow...how out of touch can one be? BIG assumptions on your part with no data to  back up what you are spewing. Let me fill you in on how it really works: Each Diamond member  in reality is a loyalty ambassador. Clearly they have enjoyed the brand enough Royal identifies them as a Diamond (and beyond). The company makes out by using this loyalty program as a marketing tool ( Ask your self how many times have you spread the word to potential cruisers Royal is the best option).  The Diamond (and beyond) makes out in a feel good fashion because they are identified and enjoy an enhanced cruise. The upside monetary benefit to the cruise line is unlimited. A problem arises when the cruise line no longer values the loyalty ambassador and therefore it results in a negative effect. Similar to what seemingly is starting to happen here with RCCL. Soon my 4-5 per year cruises go elsewhere as well as my free marketing advice to potential new cruisers. 

Absolutely correct. Word of mouth advertising. 

Leaving tomorrow for hotel stay then boarding Anthem for 19 nights in cabin I would NOT have picked IF ROYAL WAS UP FRONT with their loyal cruisers instead of 2 weeks before denying access into the CL then too late to switch cabins. Will have a fantastic time, why not, not cooking or cleaning for 20 days. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

The philosophy is... bend it before it breaks. Bend it until they squeal then pull back. For instance NCL, which seemingly is the test kitchen for all major cruise lines evoked the policy of no food from the buffet to be taken to your stateroom. This of course was met with major resistance. So they almost instantly scrapped it.  Now if there is minimal resistance, such as NCL removing the free buffet from their new private island in Belize and replacing with for a fee dining...the other cruise lines soon follow by introducing for a fee dining on the private islands. Therefore it is important to collectively challenge them before a negatively impacting concept becomes reality. 

38 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

Our last cruise was a 15 night Princess cruise and our next is a 14 night P&O cruise.

This year I have one Costa booked 23 days, (I love their itineraries) 2 Celebrity 14 days, 1 Cunard 16 days.

Next year 1 Costa 15 days and 1 Carnival 14 days.

Although Diamond plus with Royal have no more Royal booked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The philosophy is... bend it before it breaks. Bend it until they squeal then pull back. For instance NCL, which seemingly is the test kitchen for all major cruise lines evoked the policy of no food from the buffet to be taken to your stateroom. This of course was met with major resistance. So they almost instantly scrapped it.  Now if there is minimal resistance, such as NCL removing the free buffet from their new private island in Belize and replacing with for a fee dining...the other cruise lines soon follow by introducing for a fee dining on the private islands. Therefore it is important to collectively challenge them before a negatively impacting concept becomes reality. 

Coco Cay already has a for fee venue, and will ooen another in a few weeks

8 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

This year I have one Costa booked 23 days, (I love their itineraries) 2 Celebrity 14 days, 1 Cunard 16 days.

Next year 1 Costa 15 days and 1 Carnival 14 days.

Although Diamond plus with Royal have no more Royal booked.

Wow,that sounds wonderful.

You certainly prove there are other cruising options.

• Like 1