Diamond Plus Perk now Taken Away on Anthem!

yogimax

16 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

RCCL is right to in balancing perks for new any cruisers in SUITES. Those expensive rooms do deserve the perks even when new to RCCL.

I often wonder what a cruise would look like with no perks. I bet the charter ships might be rather interesting without c&a folks. Betting the crew might enjoy them too.

I agree with what you have posted. However please understand a small family who has reached the Diamond ++ level has paid well north of 100,000.00 (+100K) to Royal Caribbean over the years.  I agree with suite perks but we shouldn't make light of the fact the D++ has also invested quite a chunk of change to get to their status.  Long story short, if you want to focus on dollars spent...A one and done suite booking of say about 8K should not be treated vastly different than a +100K  D++

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I agree with what you have posted. However please understand a small family who has reached the Diamond ++ level has paid well north of 100,000.00 (+100K) to Royal Caribbean over the years.  I agree with suite perks but we shouldn't make light of the fact the D++ has also invested quite a chunk of change to get to their status.  Long story short, if you want to focus on dollars spent...A one and done suite booking of say about 8K should not be treated vastly different than a +100K  D++

I see your point, but that only works out for new cruisers that cruise in a suite. The suite people will spend around 250k for that benefit doing the same amount of cruises

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your respectful reply.

Personally we used the CL on Explorer in October and this was the first time in 10 D+ cruises we went in to the CL during HH as we don't particularly like the small enclosed lounge.

Lots of D+ from what I read on here do use the CL and if on a b2b2b the concierge should use some discretion if the first week they allow entry then stop entry for the next cruise or 2.

As John posted about Frozen drinks now on the list we personally would be happy to have an even number (4) free drinks each to convert to 4 Pina Coladas or 2 Pina Coladas and 4 glasses of wine in other venues including speciality restaurants which was a welcome addition.

While I understand your suggestion about cruisers on b2b2b I don't see how it would be possible and would put the Concierge in a uncomfortable position. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I just got an email for my Feb 8th cruise on Grandeur that there will be a large number of upper tier members so I as a diamond plus member can not go to concierge lounge. They state that the diamond lounge will be extened intp the South Pacific lounge. This is not new they extened it on every cruise. Didnt say they would put more bar staff on. Too many in concierge lounge well wont that be same problem in diamond lounge. Just tell you they are more concerned about about suites than diamond plus. Well have sailed with royal 35 times. But I will not be loyal to royal anymore

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bigeck said:

I see your point, but that only works out for new cruisers that cruise in a suite. The suite people will spend around 250k for that benefit doing the same amount of cruises

Thanks, but I was erroring on the side of caution with my 100K figure.  Trust me, the average number is well north of that. To be clear....I believe you are assuming D+ and above only cruise inside cabins and suite passengers who have 30+ sailings only do suites every time? Sorry I am not buying that. Listen,  I have booked every cabin they offer over the years, inside, outside, balcony, Jr. suites, grand suites.....I am almost embarrassed to say how much I have given the company.  To be honest, I find most D+ and above stay in more expensive cabins. Bottom line... D++ are on a level playing field with the average suite guest who cruise, therefore they deserve the same recognition.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

The CL on Anthem may not be crowded with only Suite and PC guests but adding in 300+ Diamond Plus members and the ability to get a seat changes dramatically. 

Nope.  Up until now D+ have been allowed in the lounge and there hasn't been a problem.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

While I understand your suggestion about cruisers on b2b2b I don't see how it would be possible and would put the Concierge in a uncomfortable position. 

I suppose so although some concierges seem to be more flexible than others.

Personally the CL has never been somewhere we would normally visit.

We have never been on Anthem where the CL does sound nice by reports on here so I can understand why this thread is popular.

44 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

C&A membership is getting crowded. They need another level below Pinnacle. 

And they need to not make alcohol the main perk that folks chase after.

RCCL should do what DCL does and that is offer new releases by tier over 4 days then release to public. DCL truly does this for repeat customers. And also includes shore excursions too. So perks are not just alcohol related.

I agree on both points.  DCL Castaway Club benefits are not alcohol-related, probably because so many of their frequent cruisers are too young to drink.  Instead, their top level members get a free brunch or dinner at Palo, their Italian specialty restaurant.  That is a really nice benefit.  However, nobody is admitted to their Concierge Lounges or Concierge Sundecks without booking a Concierge room (which is not necessarily a suite). 

That is actually very similar to the way it works at MSC.  All of the people who are comparing Royal to MSC should remember that even if you are at the highest level in the MSC Voyagers Club, you will still not be admitted to any Yacht Club venues without booking a room in the Yacht Club.  You will, however, get priority boarding and a complementary dinner at a specialty restaurant. 

The more important point is that there is a very real need for another level below Pinnacle. It takes only 175 points to be Diamond + (perhaps too easy) and 700 points to be Pinnacle (perhaps too hard).  That is a 525 point difference, just too much, in spite of the fact that Diamond + members do get a few extra perks at 340 and 525 points.  The midway point between D+ and P would be 437.5 points and, IMHO, there really should be a new level somewhere in that vicinity, possibly at 450 points.  That level should get a few of the P benefits that were once D+ benefits such as CL/SL access and priority boarding. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Thanks, but I was erroring on the side of caution with my 100K figure.  Trust me, the average number is well north of that. To be clear....I believe you are assuming D+ and above only cruise inside cabins and suite passengers who have 30+ sailings only do suites every time? Sorry I am not buying that. Listen,  I have booked every cabin they offer over the years, inside, outside, balcony, Jr. suites, grand suites.....I am almost embarrassed to say how much I have given the company.  To be honest, I find most D+ and above stay in more expensive cabins. Bottom line... D++ are on a level playing field with the average suite guest who cruise, therefore they deserve the same recognition.  

51 of our 54 cruises have been in Balcony or above cabins.

Graham D+

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I didn’t thinking getting to D+ was that easy, enjoyable but not easy.  We sail in balcony cabins and have sailed twice in a junior suite(Prices were reasonable).  The last JS got us to D+.

It was inevitable that there had to be a change on Anthem, we have found the CL crowded multiple times, even though some on here want to deny it.  Anthem is a big gamblers ship with lots sailing for free, frequently, getting to diamond plus or the made up ++ level, quickly.  

18 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I didn’t thinking getting to D+ was that easy, enjoyable but not easy.  We sail in balcony cabins and have sailed twice in a junior suite(Prices were reasonable).  The last JS got us to D+.

Keep in mind when I say D++ I am referring to guests who have well over 300 points.  As you know, D+  begins at 175 points and its not easy for a family who does not live near a port. To add to my point. Royal will not even acknowledge 340-699 guests with a title lol... We are just out there. A self imposed title was created called pineapple and I was once given a pin. 

Edited by rolloman
added information

4 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

GM failed to adapt to a changing market, while also failing to satisfy their existing solid customer base that they built in favor of chasing one-off customers with an increasingly inferior product.  When the solid base eroded, the financial dominoes began to fall.

Strangely similar path.  Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

We obviously look at it differently 

There is Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.  There is no such level as D++.  Cruise lines have 4, 5 or 6 levels.  Why should Royal add a 7th level?   All cruise lines have a large gap between the second highest level and the highest level.

It seems like some people are so focused on status and not the benefits.  In reality 350 and 525 do receive additional benefits so who cares if they don't have fancy marketing names assigned to them to show to your friends?  Call it "Purple," with the same benefits.  Feel better?  Nothing has changed.

No one has purchased CAS.  You purchased a cruise like the folks in the cabin next door who have never cruised before.  It's a free loyalty program, nothing more.  They "owe" you nothing but are quite generous in what they do provide especially starting at Diamond and above. 

It's a free loyalty program, not an entitlement.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.  There is no such level as D++.  Cruise lines have 4, 5 or 6 levels.  Why should Royal add a 7th level?   All cruise lines have a large gap between the second highest level and the highest level.

It seems like some people are so focused on status and not the benefits.  In reality 350 and 525 do receive additional benefits so who cares if they don't have fancy marketing names assigned to them to show to your friends?  Call it "Purple," with the same benefits.  Feel better?  Nothing has changed.

No one has purchased CAS.  You purchased a cruise like the folks in the cabin next door who have never cruised before.  It's a free loyalty program, nothing more.  They "owe" you nothing but are quite generous in what they do provide especially starting at Diamond and above. 

It's a free loyalty program, not an entitlement.  

I totally agree.

It's set up in 175 segments and Diamond was probably the lure to reel everyone in.

As I said earlier, It's a status thing

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

If your $100k is per person believe it's a bit high.  Our average cost per night in a traditional balcony usually ran about $150.  Even at $200/night for 175 nights only comes to $35k.  Suites are more expensive but the double points get you to d+ twice as fast so 87 nights @ $400 / night also comes to $35k.

7 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If your $100k is per person believe it's a bit high.  Our average cost per night in a traditional balcony usually ran about $150.  Even at $200/night for 175 nights only comes to $35k.  Suites are more expensive but the double points get you to d+ twice as fast so 87 nights @ $400 / night also comes to $35k.

I am basing it on D++  minimum 30 cruises in a balcony for a family (includes at least one child). 

************** BELATED NOTICE ******************

I'm thinking that I should have posted this notice a long time ago. A notice that I'm finally graduating to D+ after my upcoming B2B. Why you ask? Because they booted regular Diamonds out of the CL's right before the cruise that I became Diamond. Sorry to all the D+ members out there. If I ever get close to becoming a Pinnacle, I'll try posting sooner and delay my promotion to Pinnacle status as long as possible. The only way that I ever have and probably ever will see the inside of any of the CL's is when I book a suite. I like the CL as a suite perk, but it usually isn't worth the money to upgrade to a suite. 

Respectfully posted with a little jest.

P.S. - Am I missing something? What is so special about the CL? Is it something about the actual space or the free drinks and food? Whenever I see a thread similar to this, I start getting a serious case of FOMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yenom said:

P.S. - Am I missing something? What is so special about the CL? Is it something about the actual space or the free drinks and food? Whenever I see a thread similar to this, I start getting a serious case of FOMO.

Absolutely nothing. Cheap swill, rubbery cheese, inedible hors d'oeuvres. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I think only suite people should have access to suite amenities... they pay so much (note, I’ve only done one suite, wish I could do more!)

It may not seem like a popular opinion here on CC but that just the demographics of this forum - many long time, upper tier cruisers whose knowledge I am thankful for. I've learned much from many of the helpful - and in some cases the not-so-helpful -  members which has enhanced my cruising experience.

But they are just a small minority of the cruising population. On another thread, there was a discussion that less than 5% of cruisers even know about CC and a majority of that 5% are not very active.

The only opinion that really counts is Royals and seeing how their ships sail at capacity and they are enjoying record profits, they seem to know what they are doing.