Cruise Critic Community
Beanb41

Corona Virus

Interrelating.      The cool thing is they can screen using the facial / temperature sensing cameras.  

Last year on arrival in Japan we had to go through a similar screening before entering Japan.   You just had to walk by and if a red light went off would be pulled out of line for additional screening.

The virus doesnt even seem that dangerous as far as these things go.

Back in 2009 my wife and I had a vacation in Mexico that left 2 days after the Swine flu hit Mexico. We decided to go anyways figuring we would either get it now or later regardless. It was the weirdest and one of the best vacations of our lives. The flight down to Mexico was 1/4 full. The resort was empty. We basically had the place to ourselves. We had 4 or 5 people pampering us constantly. It was incredible.

When we arrived back in DC after our week long vacation they quarantined our flight. We had to go through a special screening with doctors dressed in bio hazard suits in the airport. It was crazy. They asked me how I was feeling. I said fantastic other than the incredible hangover I had. They all started laughing at that. Neither of us ever got sick that year. Go figure. But it is something that we will always remember.

We had the "thermometer probe" in St Petersburg during the avian flu scare.    I hope they do take these precautions.   

for people in the UK things like usually end up being dictated by gov warnings leading to non insurance coverage more than anything else.  So watch this space!

51 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Back in 2009 my wife and I had a vacation in Mexico that left 2 days after the Swine flu hit Mexico. We decided to go anyways figuring we would either get it now or later regardless. It was the weirdest and one of the best vacations of our lives. The flight down to Mexico was 1/4 full. The resort was empty. We basically had the place to ourselves. We had 4 or 5 people pampering us constantly. It was incredible.

When we arrived back in DC after our week long vacation they quarantined our flight. We had to go through a special screening with doctors dressed in bio hazard suits in the airport. It was crazy. They asked me how I was feeling. I said fantastic other than the incredible hangover I had. They all started laughing at that. Neither of us ever got sick that year. Go figure. But it is something that we will always remember.

so far the mortality does seem to be somewhat lower and currently around say 3%.  Let's say that's what it is.  Lets say someone with whatever they end up calling this coronavirus unkowningly makes it aboard an oasis class.  It's airborne and is probably much more infectious than say noro.  On the oasis noro infected cruise, 550 people got ill.  So if it was a coronavirus, maybe 15 people would die, maybe much more.   Not great publicity for your cruise line.

Edited by UnorigionalName

21 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

so far the mortality does seem to be somewhat lower and currently around say 3%.  Let's say that's what it is.  Lets say someone with whatever they end up calling this coronavirus unkowningly makes it aboard an oasis class.  It's airborne and is probably much more infectious than say noro.  On the oasis noro infected cruise, 550 people got ill.  So if it was a coronavirus, maybe 15 people would die, maybe much more.   Not great publicity for your cruise line.

Heard on news about hour ago there is another confirmed case in USA.  Woman who returned from China a week or so ago.  Also reported additional cases and deaths in China.

I suffer from Corona Virus every day on my cruise. I’m not sure what the big deal is and why it’s so awful. 

6A981833-98BC-4FE7-805B-1D7B8314363F.jpeg

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Id say it’s more a case of we aren’t getting all the facts from China. China has moved rapidly to shut down domestic travel in and out of Wuhan and is actually starting from scratch to build a hospital to deal with it. They have closed down the market where it started. I’d say there is a whole lot more to this than we know. 

My nephew had diagnosed (blood test) swine flu when he was 18. He was unwell but not gravely Ill by any stretch. Our sons partner also had diagnosed swine flu and was probably more unwell but more like normal flu. 

Edited by Pushka

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

Id say it’s more a case of we aren’t getting all the facts from China. China has moved rapidly to shut down domestic travel in and out of Wuhan and is actually starting from scratch to build a hospital to deal with it. They have closed down the market where it started. I’d say there is a whole lot more to this than we know. 

This is quite possible as well. That the number of fatalities is being under reported. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

This is quite possible as well. That the number of fatalities is being under reported. 

And given that it is now Lunar New Year, their action is very surprising. 

It’s odd that as of 1/1/2020, 8400 Americans had died from the flu including 64 children.   180,000 people have been hospitalized.  Why isn’t this news?   The sixty year old with the new virus has already been released.   The new virus is less contagious than measles which can also be deadly.   I refuse to panic over the new virus but I am not traveling to China.

22 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I suffer from Corona Virus every day on my cruise. I’m not sure what the big deal is and why it’s so awful. 

6A981833-98BC-4FE7-805B-1D7B8314363F.jpeg

I think that's a different corona virus.  That corona virus has been around for a long time.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interrelating.      The cool thing is they can screen using the facial / temperature sensing cameras.  

Last year on arrival in Japan we had to go through a similar screening before entering Japan.   You just had to walk by and if a red light went off would be pulled out of line for additional screening.

As incubation time can be up to 7 days, a lot of passengers can bring virus without showing fever or symptons.  Seems to me that this screening gives false security.

Edited by Michidoeme

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Wow. That's all I can say!

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think that's a different corona virus.  That corona virus has been around for a long time.

A severe and prolonged case will also result in getting the rocking pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu.

Anyone considering cancelling their upcoming cruise in March?

We're scheduled on the 14 night Millenium to depart on Saturday from Singapore to Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, and not super excited about it at this point. While the death rate from the virus may be low, the idea of being on a ship with 500 ill passengers sounds awful. In addition, depending on how bad this gets, I forsee hassles getting off the ship, possible port changes, and cancellation of excursions while in port.

13 hours ago, Michidoeme said:

As incubation time can be up to 7 days, a lot of passengers can bring virus without showing fever or symptons.  Seems to me that this screening gives false security.

Exactly!  They have to do something to let the general public think they are, the truth is there really is no way to prevent this unless everyone stays home and that will never happen. Even a delivery from Amazon could be contaminated if the box was touched by an infected person, the virus can live for several days on the surface.  The best we can do for now is stay away from crowds, wash your hands often and don’t touch you’re face.  It is not realistic to live with wrap around goggles, surgical masks and gloves all the time.

Edited by birdie16

We're also on the Millennium February 1 and leave tomorrow. I really don't want to take a chance on getting sick or not being allowed back into the US after departing Hong Kong. I've called Celebrity and as of now they haven't been updated today. 

Hopefully they will let us reschedule for next year.

Saw an interesting statistic yesterday article from a UK doctor yesterday  - In the year of the SARS outbreak more people died in the United Kingdom from falling on their stairs at home than died worldwide from the SARS outbreak , something like 1000 vs 750.

19 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It’s odd that as of 1/1/2020, 8400 Americans had died from the flu including 64 children.   180,000 people have been hospitalized.  Why isn’t this news?   The sixty year old with the new virus has already been released.   The new virus is less contagious than measles which can also be deadly.   I refuse to panic over the new virus but I am not traveling to China.

Amen,  we are at more risk for a bad outcome from influenza than we are from Corona virus and we do have a vaccine to help prevent and lessen the side effects and people still refuse it. It is scary to think of a new virus we don’t know much about how it spreads,  I understand how nervous people are. We are leaving in 6 weeks to the land down under and I have made sure everyone is up to date on their vaccines to lessen adding vaccine preventable diseases to anything else we may come across.  

And I’ll say it again, I believe the statistics being released are not indicative of reality. China would not take this action over CNY, on their own volition, unless it was dire.  This is not the hype of media but the actions of a Government. 

Edited by Pushka

There are about 7.7 billion people on this planet. 50 have died from this Corona Virus. Still, the media's gotta make a profit.