Getting ready time

Bcab999

My wife and I are having a debate and I’d like to see what others experience is/what they do. 

When we vacation we usually are at the pool in the morning and afternoon (or any other day time activity - really doesn’t matter). However when we get back it sometimes takes us upwards of two hours to get ready and leave for dinner. I think two hours is an insane amount of time to get ready. 

My question to you fellow cruisers is how long does it take you to get ready and back out for pre-dinner/dinner activities once you’ve gotten back to the room?  Let the debate begin. 

Edited by Bcab999

I usually stay out on deck for as long as possible and we are always second sitting in the dining room so my OH goes back to the cabin well before me and gets ready and depending on whether I have to wash my hair or not I take approx half an hour to an hour to get ready although I have been known to do it in about 20 minutes from start to finish. 

9 minutes ago, Bcab999 said:

My wife and I are having a debate and I’d like to see what others experience is/what they do. 

When we vacation we usually are at the pool in the morning and afternoon (or any other day time activity - really doesn’t matter). However when we get back it sometimes takes us upwards of two hours to get ready and leave for dinner. I think two hours is an insane amount of time to get ready. 

My question to you fellow cruisers is how long does it take you to get ready and back out for pre-dinner/dinner activities once you’ve gotten back to the room?  Let the debate begin. 

And this matters why?

Just now, gerif said:

I can shower, dress and do hair and makeup in half an hour but I really like to sit out on the balcony after my shower in a bathrobe with a glass of wine for a while before heading out. 

I do that at home also. Not sure why this is cruise relevant.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I do that at home also. Not sure why this is cruise relevant.

Definitely cruise relevant. Most people shower and dress in the morning before heading out to work. Totally different vibe on a cruise (I don’t have a balcony looking out over the ocean at home. Glad you do.)

• Like 2

I recall another current thread (about traditional dining) and I responded that there was no way I could come back to the ship from a day out, shower, do my hair and makeup, dress, and be in the MDR by 5. So I see the relevance. And like Gerif, when at home I normally don't need to shower before dinner. On a cruise I do, if only to scrub off the day's accumulation of sun screen. At home I don't normally change clothes for dinner. On a cruise I do so every night.

If pressed, I could do it in half an hour ( DH can do it in less, routinely). However I prefer not to rush, and perhaps enjoy a glass of something while I'm primping, so I'd say I average about an hour.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gerif said:

Definitely cruise relevant. Most people shower and dress in the morning before heading out to work. Totally different vibe on a cruise (I don’t have a balcony looking out over the ocean at home. Glad you do.)

Since I and many cruisers are retired we have a different MO.

This sounds more like a marital squabble that should be addressed to an advice columnist 🙂

At home, I can get ready in about 40 mins, if I have to wash my hair...faster if I don't have to wash and curl hair.  Hubby can be slow at times....  

On vacation, he get's ready first....heads to a bar, and I meet him when I'm ready....I mean, what's the rush?  You're on vacation!  Take your time....it's not a race!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bcab999 said:

10 minutes.

I win

• Like 1

OP: If you would rather be doing something else, send her back to the cabin alone and join her 90 minutes later and get yourself ready.

We recently had 3 women and a man in one cabin. A couple of nights we all returned to the cabin together, showered, shampooed, did hair and makeup, and dressed for dinner—even sipped a little wine—and all headed out the door 40 minutes later. Just takes organization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

And this matters why?

Because in such a fun setting, with limited time, there could be better uses of said time. The topic really frustrates me too.

It takes me 10 minutes to get ready. The other half can be 20 minutes. Can be an hour. I'll usually hang out on the deck if it's one of those long days.

Edited by Joebucks

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It takes me 10 minutes to get ready.

Wow! So you can shower and shave etc. in ten minutes?

And why does anyone think they need to do everything every minute with their travel partner? We'd have likely long since killed each other. Whew.

4 hours ago, clo said:

Since I and many cruisers are retired we have a different MO.

This sounds more like a marital squabble that should be addressed to an advice columnist 🙂

Haha, I think you are making too much of this.  It is just a topic for casual conversation.  

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If you take 2 hours getting ready on a 12 day cruise you are spending 1/12th of your cruise dressing up. 24 hours. One whole day.

What a waste 

I think you missed the whole point of drinking while dressing!  😀😁😀

• Like 1

DH and I are retired, so we have all the time we want to get ready for anything, but it only takes him about 15 min to shower, shave and get ready for dinner. It takes me 30-45 by the time I wash and dry my hair and do my makeup. We don't get a balcony, so enjoying a soda or water as we get ready works perfectly for us.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you missed the whole point of drinking while dressing!  😀😁😀

I just find that weird. Sorry. I am a fella. Getting ready isn't an event. It's just something to be done quick as possible.

A 1 minute shower. A couple to clean teeth.a couple of minutes to put on a shirt and Jean's. 1 to put on shoes. A quick spray of deodorant and aftershave. 

Job done.

It's not a sport or an event. And drinking in the room is not as pleasant as being at the bar. And as the bars are always available why not maximise time there?

17 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

And drinking in the room is not as pleasant as being at the bar. And as the bars are always available why not maximise time there?

Having a leisurely drink on your balcony in the early evening, is one of the joys of cruising. If I want to go to a bar with hundreds of other people, I can go to Wetherspoons. 

• Like 4