Oasis - Junior Suites oversold for March sailing

klove613

Received an email from Royal that they have oversold Junior Suite inventory for our March 1st Oasis sailing. They are offering a refund for the second passenger and a $300 OBC if we agree to move to a balcony cabin. I don't know how much the balcony cabins were at the time, but I remember them being quite a bit less than the JS. I booked my room (not a guarantee) back in June. Very surprised about this, but it just goes to show that even with a confirmed cabin, Royal might not honor it. 

Anyone else received anything like this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, and I book my cabin when they where 1st released over 18 months ago.  They are unable to tell me what the refund is for a single as revenue is not open until Monday.  If you click on the survey that was attached it gave you 3 dates to pick 2 in Feb and the one in March which makes me think multiple sailings affected. 

Be sure to look at how the 2nd passenger is actually billed on your invoice - most likely not 1/2 your cruise fare and it can vary based on the sale at the time of your booking. 

I would also want a choice of a balcony cabin. If they put you at the end of the hallway it is a LONG walk to your cabin on Oasis. 

• Like 1

Just now, Host Clarea said:

This used to be a very rare event, but this is the second report I've read like this in less than a week.   What happens if you simply refuse to be downgraded?

I am not sure. They said it is an "offer" and if I want to be considered for it to fill out a survey. I don't think I will respond. Looking at pricing for balcony cabins for next year, it looks like with the refund, I will still be paying about the same had I booked a balcony originally. 

The OBC is fine, but not enough to give up the extra space for 7 days. 

• Like 1

That is why I want to talk to the Revenue department because on my invoice the 2nd passenger is billed at 0$ the entire faire is under the 1st passenger.  My original cabin is a hump JS with extra large balcony with lounge chairs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Be sure to look at how the 2nd passenger is actually billed on your invoice - most likely not 1/2 your cruise fare and it can vary based on the sale at the time of your booking. 

I would also want a choice of a balcony cabin. If they put you at the end of the hallway it is a LONG walk to your cabin on Oasis. 

That is exactly right. My second passenger fare is about half of the first passenger fare. Not worth it. 

1 minute ago, klove613 said:

I am not sure. They said it is an "offer" and if I want to be considered for it to fill out a survey. I don't think I will respond. Looking at pricing for balcony cabins for next year, it looks like with the refund, I will still be paying about the same had I booked a balcony originally. 

The OBC is fine, but not enough to give up the extra space for 7 days. 

I wonder if you would also lose the extra C&A points for the suite if you downgrade.

Just now, caanma said:

They do state that you will still get credit for original booking JS when it comes to C&A points. 

That's good.  But you would lose access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner, which would be nice a couple of nights.

2 minutes ago, caanma said:

That is why I want to talk to the Revenue department because on my invoice the 2nd passenger is billed at 0$ the entire faire is under the 1st passenger.  My original cabin is a hump JS with extra large balcony with lounge chairs. 

That is definitely not worth changing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klove613 said:

That is definitely not worth changing!

If they really wanted you to change, they would give you the balcony for no more than half whatever the minimum price offered on that cruise, plus OBC.  I think the offer is very weak.

• Like 6

Just now, Host Clarea said:

If they really wanted you to change, they would give you the balcony for no more than half whatever the minimum price offered on that cruise, plus OBC.  I think the offer is very weak.

I agree! At first I was considering it, but then I looked at my invoice and realized that it wasn't a good offer. Especially given that I selected my cabin and it sounds like we might have no choice on the replacement cabin. 

9 minutes ago, caanma said:

Please share how they respond in your situation. I’m curious how they will value a return of the 2nd passenger. 

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Agree with Bob. You are helping them get out of a jam and should be able to get the best deal of any balcony cabin sold on that sailing plus a nice discount and extra incentives. 

• Like 7

I fear this may be the way things are moving to.  People may be bidding using RoyalUp and their bids may amount to more than others have paid, so Royal threatens to bump the existing holders of certain categories.  In other words, pretty soon we will get an email that says unless we pay "X" more, we won't be able to go on the cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I fear this may be the way things are moving to.  People may be bidding using RoyalUp and their bids may amount to more than others have paid, so Royal threatens to bump the existing holders of certain categories.  In other words, pretty soon we will get an email that says unless we pay "X" more, we won't be able to go on the cruise.

Yikes - had not thought of that. Talk about treating your customers like crap just to improve the bottom line. I’d like to think Royal would not stoop that low but based on so many decisions lately that negatively impact loyal customers I suppose I should not be surprised. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Yikes - had not thought of that. Talk about treating your customers like crap just to improve the bottom line. I’d like to think Royal would not stoop that low but based on so many decisions lately that negatively impact loyal customers I suppose I should not be surprised. 

I don't think they will do it all at once, but they seem to be moving that way.  They got smacked down by the Florida Attorney General years ago by calling certain fees "taxes".  It may come to something like that again if this "overselling" becomes the norm. 

When an airline bumps someone involuntarily, with certain exceptions, they have to pay cash up to 400% of the original fare.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If does end up being the case, I hope somebody goes after them hard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

If does end up being the case, I hope somebody goes after them hard. 

It may take a while.  I'm a bit surprised that no one has gone after them for the fake sales.  May be difficult because of the international legal situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It may take a while.  I'm a bit surprised that no one has gone after them for the fake sales.  May be difficult because of the international legal situation.

I’ve thought the same thing. Then again, Macy’s and retail stores have been doing it forever also. 

Just now, kruzerci said:

I’ve thought the same thing. Then again, Macy’s and retail stores have been doing it forever also. 

I believe one of our Canadian posters said there is a law there that they cannot call something on sale unless it has sold at "regular" price for some length of time.

• Like 1