Opinions please: Six & Jersey Boys with children

justafirefly

My family of 4 (2 adults, an almost 7 year old & almost 2 year old) is cruising on the Bliss this spring. I am wondering if the current entertainment options (Six & Jersey Boys) would be appropriate and/or entertaining for my children. We cruised on the Dawn when my eldest was almost 3 and he enjoyed the shows (Elements & Showdown at the time, I believe), but those seemed family friendly with acrobats, magicians, etc. and by the descriptions, I cannot tell if Six & Jersey Boys would be boring to them. Both children sit in a movie theater just fine. If you have seen either of these shows, would you please chime in and let me know what you think? Thank you!

A lot of "F" bombs in Jersey Boys with a story they couldn't follow. Great songs though for an adult. 

We didn't like Six. I couldn't understand the words in the songs they sang. 

I personally don't think they would like either one. 

As was mentioned above if you want to try it, get aisle seats in back of theater.

I've seen Jersey Boys, the movie and also the touring show.  It is loaded with New Jersey profanity.  I don't know if the show on the ship tones it down at all or not.  But, it is just not appropriate at all for kids to be hearing.  And as someone else said, even without that, don't think they would like it.  

3 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I don't know if the show on the ship tones it down at all or not.

It doesn't.

If you want an idea of Six and have Amazon Prime, find the studio recording on Amazon Music.  The performance is LOUD, high-energy and nothing so overtly inappropriate that kids of that age would understand it but there is one song that could be interpreted as such if you really listen to the words.

LOTS of previous discussions of BOTH shows on this board and I assure you that the shows haven't changed since those discussions were posted.

You could always sit in the back and if not appropriate -- just leave.   JB is not intended for a 2 year (although I am sure the 2 year old won't get half the jokes)

Edited by xcell

We saw Six (twice!) on our December cruise and loved it. I would describe the staging to be like a concert. There is a band in the back of the stage, with the six singers (wives) in front. It is mostly singing and dancing, with very few spoken lines. There is no set change or "scenes" as you would typically think of a Broadway style production. Some of the lyrics could be deemed inappropriate, but that is up to you. For instance...one of the lines in a song is something like "I wouldn't be such a b**** if you could get it up". Will your kids catch that one line? Maybe. If they did would they understand it? Up to you. (Not saying that is the only time a sexual reference is given, it's just one I happen to remember). 

You can see videos of the songs on youtube. We found the NCL version to be exactly like the West End. 

In my area, Broadway musicals are big in the elementary schools.  My 7 year old at the time knew ever word of Hamilton before I even knew what it was.  Beetlejuice was big last year.  Now they mentioned Six last week which surprised me.

I think that the average grade-schooler would view Six as a typical girl-group concert.  Singing, costumes... they probably wouldn't get the history behind it, but they wouldn't need to.

I know families have different tolerance levels for profanity (and really, if you think four teenagers from Jersey don't talk that that, I dunno...) but in addition to that, the main appeal for Jersey Boys is as a nostalgia show.  The boomer audience knows & loves every tune.  Would it spoil it for your kids if they don't? 

The Frankie Valli character sings with a pre-pubescent voice...your kids might relate, especially if one of them is named Dawn 😁

But seriously, I have seen a number of live Jersey Boys performances, including on the Bliss, as well as the movie. I doubt a young kid will be able to follow the story line, nor appreciate the songs like a Boomer (such as myself) would.  As they say, your mileage might vary...

I was on the December 28th Bliss cruise. I took my 9 year old daughter and 13 year old son to see Six and Jersey Boys (I never saw either before so did not know what to expect). Six the kids loved. They loved the dancing, costumes etc. Very high energy and my daughter especially loved it and wanted to see it again. Jersey Boys was a disaster. I had NO idea about all the F bombs and just sat there for a bit hoping it wasn't going to happen again but sadly it seemed to be a huge part of the show. Plus the kids were bored to tears and couldn't follow it. No fancy costumes and snazzy dancing like Six. I would definitely give Six a shot with the kids but skip Jersey Boys. 

I would say Jersey Boys would be VERY hard for anyone say under 12 y/o to follow.... and on top of it, there are many f-bombs. They do advertise it as having "Authentic Jersey Language" (being from Jersey, I just Lol). Anyway, it is a great show with all the awesome songs that come with it. 

SIX on the other hand was great also. It is a high energy show which I thought would be perfect for kids of all ages. The costumes would totally impress any female child. They may not understand the story, but that is ok. They don't need to, the music is what makes it! 

16 hours ago, xcell said:

But would a 2 year old have an attention span to watch?

Especially Jersey Boys. it's a pretty long show; I don't think a two-year old can sit for that long and not fidget or complain. I can't think of any show I would take a child that young to!

• Like 1