No guessing for me. I always know exactly how many smokers are on my ship every cruise.

Housekeeping and Beverage Staff monitor the smoking area and make a weekly report on exactly how many smokers we have.For a typical 10 day cruise, we average 2 smokers onboard.

We are currently on a 13 day transatlantic crossing. We have 3 smokers onboard this trip. That's a 50% increase.

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2020 at 12:21 PM, Donald said:

No guessing for me. I always know exactly how many smokers are on my ship every cruise.

Housekeeping and Beverage Staff monitor the smoking area and make a weekly report on exactly how many smokers we have.For a typical 10 day cruise, we average 2 smokers onboard.

We are currently on a 13 day transatlantic crossing. We have 3 smokers onboard this trip. That's a 50% increase.

On Jade TA April 2019  the one smoking area by Pit Stop bar was always filled to capacity on one side of bar where they allowed smoking. Thinking your response was meant tongue in cheek

Edited by njkate

On 1/25/2020 at 9:40 AM, preschool teacher said:

Have you found there to be more , less or the same amount of smokers?

I do realize this is a guess, just wanted to hear what you have experienced.

thanks!!!!

Taking into account most TA are an older crowd, from the generation that embraced smoking, there are many. But in my experience they seemed respectful to stay in smoking areas when lighting up

31 minutes ago, njkate said:

On Jade TA April 2019  the one smoking area by Pit Stop bar was always filled to capacity on one side of bar where they allowed smoking. Thinking your response was meant tongue in cheek

I'm quite serious.

The Jade discounts TA Fares below $100 per day.

My ship discounts TA fares to $1000 per day.

Smoking is one of the vices of the lower classes.

We rarely see smokers on my ship; they cannot afford to sail with us.

44 minutes ago, Donald said:

I'm quite serious.

Well aren’t you Mr Snob. President Obama smoked and I don’t consider him lower class. Very happy I won’t ever be cruising with your class.

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We take many TA's, TP's etc.    I hate to make a generalization but find many more Europeans and Asian's smoke than is common to North American travelers.    The smoking areas seem to support this observation when compared to a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We take many TA's, TP's etc.    I hate to make a generalization but find many more Europeans and Asian's smoke than is common to North American travelers.    The smoking areas seem to support this observation when compared to a Caribbean cruise.

This has been our observation as well. The smoking areas on our TA's have always been filled to capacity.

While there is a higher rate of smokers of low socioeconomic status,  there are many "rich" people that smoke - quite a few celebrities making millions each year smoke cigarettes and there are scores of wealthy people that also smoke marijuana. I certainly would not consider those making millions on a yearly basis too destitute to embark of a cruise. 

Edited by dogs4fun

On 1/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, Donald said:

I'm quite serious.

They could probably afford it but they choose to spend their discretionary income on an expensive habit that will probably kill them.

I think there are more smokers on the TA cruise, lots of Europeans smoke. The smoking areas were always full on the sailing we were on. Doing another in Oct., and I expect it to be the same.

9 hours ago, DCP said:

I think there are more smokers on the TA cruise, lots of Europeans smoke. The smoking areas were always full on the sailing we were on. Doing another in Oct., and I expect it to be the same.

We did a Costa cruise from Savona to Buenos Aires. Mostly older Europeans  - I really did not notice smokers although there was a cigar bar I believe onboard.

We had a balcony cabin and on one day of the 18 days I thought I could smell cigarette smoke outside but that was all.

You wouldn't probably know how many there were if you didn't frequent the areas that the smokers are allowed in. There were always people looking in the windows of the humidor and making faces - LOL!

I agree.   My partner is a smoker and on many West Bound TA's there are probably 2-3X the number of smoker than I observe on many cruises.   Having said that, I've noticed a huge decline in the number of smokers over the past 20 years.