Where Is Your Own Wine Kept?

steppesister

36 minutes ago, steppesister said:

Hi  There! 

First post, first cruise. 🙂

I am wondering where the wine you can bring onboard is kept? In your stateroom or do they keep it stored for you? Thanks!

Welcome to CC. Not knowing what cruise line or ship you are cruising with/on but Celebrity and RC allow two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom at the embarkation port only. No fees to bring them aboard. Celebrity and RC request you carry you wine onboard. No wine glasses in your stateroom. No corkscrew either. We  always have one in our first aid lit. You can request wine glasses (and corkscrew, hate theirs) from your stateroom attendant or stop by one of the bars and ask for wine glasses if you want to drink the wine in your stateroom. You can also take your filled wine glasses from your stateroom into other venues. Enjoy your first cruise. 🍷

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Kinda your choice.  

Keep it in room if you want to drink it in your room.  Often this can avoid the corkage fee.

Have them store it if you want to have it at dinner, chilled.  etc.

That answers my question perfectly. Wanted to sip in my room in the evenings. 🙂 Thanks!!

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Welcome to CC. Not knowing what cruise line or ship  but Celebrity and RC allow two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom at the embarkation port only. No fees to bring them aboard. Celebrity and RC request you carry you wine onboard. No wine glasses in your stateroom. No corkscrew either. We  always have one in our first aid lit. You can request wine glasses (and corkscrew, hate theirs) from your stateroom attendant or stop by one of the bars and ask for wine glasses if you want to drink the wine in your stateroom. You can also take your filled wine glasses from your stateroom into other venues. Enjoy your first cruise. 🍷

Thanks!! That was going to be my second question.... can we sip outside the room? (Sorry, yes, it's RC.) I want to mainly sip IN my room before bed as I surf the nets, but might want to take out to watch a sunset or something too. Good point about the corkscrew! I'd have probably forgotten! 

Edited by steppesister

30 minutes ago, SRF said:

BTW< on RCI, people have seldom been actually charged the corkage fee.  They MAY do so, but in 4 cruises, we have not been charged.

Yeah it's confusing and inconsistent with them.  First their policy was to charge, then they dropped it, now its back, but rarely enforced.

I'll probably just  order wine with dinner and save my own for sipping in the room. But this is good to know if I change my mind and take the bottle to dinner. IF they do enforce, is it a one-time fee or every time you drink from it. Sorry, new to this and it might be a silly question. 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

BTW< on RCI, people have seldom been actually charged the corkage fee.  They MAY do so, but in 4 cruises, we have not been charged.

Agree do not remember last time rccl charged us corkage but celebrity normally does and that is 25 a bottle , but no problem drinking it in your room. 

47 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

IF they charge a fee, it's one-time.  Likely, there is no corkage fee.  You may take drinks FROM anywhere TO anywhere.  Just don't take glass on the pool deck.

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree do not remember last time rccl charged us corkage but celebrity normally does and that is 25 a bottle , but no problem drinking it in your room. 

Perfect! I'll bring my local Oregon Pinots and sip at my leisure. 🙂

1 hour ago, steppesister said:

I'll probably just  order wine with dinner and save my own for sipping in the room. But this is good to know if I change my mind and take the bottle to dinner. IF they do enforce, is it a one-time fee or every time you drink from it. Sorry, new to this and it might be a silly question. 

I leave my bottle in the room and take a glass of wine to dinner.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, steppesister said:

Hi  There! 

First post, first cruise. 🙂

I am wondering where the wine you can bring onboard is kept? In your stateroom or do they keep it stored for you? Thanks!

up to you.

most people  keep it in their stateroom until they are ready to drink it.  

keeping in mind that nearly all lines charge you a  corkage fee if you  consume it anywhere outside of your stateroom.   they will hold any open bottles for you, and will  pre chill bottles as well.   

you can also pour yourself a glass in your stateroom and bring it anywhere with you with no corkage fee.  

21 hours ago, SRF said:

and as I always have a  rebuttal:  we have always been charged( and we sail in suites too)  so we just stopped bringing bottles to dinner.  

15 hours ago, janetz said:

You can also take your opened bottle of wine to the dinning room with you 😊

No need for any corkage fee

Incorrect.

On RCI, and most restaurants, the corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the bottle.  It has to do with compensating for the loss in revenue when you bring, instead of buy, your wine.

So, it is charged, even if you open the bottle and bring it.

2 minutes ago, spookwife said:

and as I always have a  rebuttal:  we have always been charged( and we sail in suites too)  so we just stopped bringing bottles to dinner.  

They must just not like you. 

😄

We have never been charged.  4 cruise, 2 bottles per cruise, taken to dinner and opened by the waiter, and never a mention of corkage fee.

As I said, TYPICALLY, they have not charge, as evidenced by MOST posts.  You have just been unluckly

Last cruise, I had a 1980 Robert Mondavi Cabernet, that the cork was in bad shape.  They had to put a lot of work into opening it, and still did not charge in Chops.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SRF said:

As I said, TYPICALLY, they have not charge, as evidenced by MOST posts.  You have just been unluckly

What line are you describing?

I get charged about 90% of the time on Cunard. I recognize the economics and the rationale so I'm not surprised or bothered by it.

Lately I've had issues spending my onboard credit, so I've resolved not to carry on wine next time.