Western cruise - beaches close to port?

beshears

We are to be doing the Western Caribbean cruise, going to Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.  For anyone that has already been there, are there any beaches close too the port within walking distance, or do we need transportation to get to one of the beaches?  If there was a beach that you liked at one of those ports, what as the name?

4 minutes ago, beshears said:

We are to be doing the Western Caribbean cruise, going to Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.  For anyone that has already been there, are there any beaches close too the port within walking distance, or do we need transportation to get to one of the beaches?  If there was a beach that you liked at one of those ports, what as the name?

I'm interested as well. We have that same itinerary on our Freedom cruise next Sept.  

32 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I would suggest checking the ports of call boards for each of your ports.

Hi

The port of call threads are great and I would also suggest just googling "beaches near "xxx" cruise port. Same for thing to do. "things to do" in Cozumel, or "excursions" in Jamaica. Let the internet be your friend. There are many review on site such as TripAdvisor. 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

6 hours ago, beshears said:

Yeah, it depends in Jamaica where you are. In Coz we prefer going to the money bar. You catch a cab and tell them where you want to go. It's not a great sandy beach area, but the water is beautiful and there is a reef off shore where many snorkeling excursions come. The tables and umbrella are free as long as you are buying some drinks and/or food. In Cayman, we catch the bus for 2.50 apiece and go to 7 mile beach, to the Royal Palms. There is a 2.00 fee to get in there but you can use there tables, pool and restrooms. They have good food and good drinks. You can also put your towel on the beach there if you prefer sitting in the sun and swimming in the ocean. The water is beautiful. Have a great cruise.  

Thank you for your replies.  I do sometimes go to the ports of call website, but I don't always get responses, like if I go under one of the cruise (Carnival, RCCL, Holland America, etc.) line names.  As for Jamaica, it will be Ocho Rios port.

I don't understand the fascination with beaches. Having been to most of the islands, many several times, I find one beach pretty much like another. There is so much more to experience in my humble opinion. The architecture, food, people and customs, history, wildlife, agriculture, economies, is so much more stimulating than simply lying around on a beach. To me travel is about experiencing as much as possible about other places and people. Learning about the world we live in is fascinating and fun.

In Grand Cayman, you can walk to the Eden Rock dive spot and climb down the stairs into the water.  It is a very basic dive spot where they rent snorkel equipment.  We always take a shared taxi to Calico Jacks on 7 Mile Beach (15 minute ride).  They rent chairs and beach umbrellas and there is a restaurant onsite where you can purchase drinks and food.  They also rent inflatable water toys.  We love it here, it is very laid back, has restrooms, food, clean water and beautiful beach.  When we left, there were vans parked in their lot waiting to take people back to the port.

Cozumel has a large shopping area and bars but no beach at the port.  There are lots of beaches you can visit via taxi.  Just walk thru the shopping area and follow the signs to the taxi stand.  All prices are posted on a large board for every location.  

On one of our port stops in Ocho Rios, we booked an excursion through the ship to Dunns River Falls, my daughter and son-in-law climbed the Falls and I stayed on the beach with my grandson.  The only problem was we had to leave all our belongings on the catamaran which sailed away as soon as everyone disembarked so I had nothing but our bathing suits until the catamaran returned, did not like this.  There was no restaurant or vendors on the beach except some locals selling weed.  The next couple of times our ship stopped in Ocho Rios, we walked up to the Island Village and walked down to Margaritaville.  They have a pool with a slide in the restaurant, food and drinks (of course), and a small private beach.  There was no charge to get into Margaritaville but you are expected to purchase food and drinks which is pricey.  They discourage bringing your own food and drinks and plop down at a table for the day.  When we visited, my grandson spent a couple of hours on the slide and in the pool.  You entered their beach through the restaurant and they were charging a fee to use their beach.  I don't know if they are still charging this fee.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, FiredogCruiser said:

I don't understand the fascination with beaches. Having been to most of the islands, many several times, I find one beach pretty much like another. There is so much more to experience in my humble opinion. The architecture, food, people and customs, history, wildlife, agriculture, economies, is so much more stimulating than simply lying around on a beach. To me travel is about experiencing as much as possible about other places and people. Learning about the world we live in is fascinating and fun.

I grew up near where you live and still think Presque Isle is beautiful, but in a different way than Caribbean beaches.  Beaches appeal to me in different ways, but almost never about "travel" rather as "vacation."  If I am traveling then I want to learn about the history, people, architecture, etc., but if I am on vacation I just want to either relax or have fun - make sense?

While the beaches are similar, there are nuances for each.  Some are great for soft sand and swimming while others are better for snorkeling.  Unless I'm getting a brief nap I'd rather be in the water than on the beach, but I can certainly relate to escaping the cold of winter to a beautiful stretch of sun and sand 🙂 

OP - I've only done Cozumel of the beaches you list and it was an NCL excursion.  Beautiful beach with hammocks in the water😎. I think it was Passion Island.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, pacruise804 said:

I grew up near where you live and still think Presque Isle is beautiful, but in a different way than Caribbean beaches.  Beaches appeal to me in different ways, but almost never about "travel" rather as "vacation."  If I am traveling then I want to learn about the history, people, architecture, etc., but if I am on vacation I just want to either relax or have fun - make sense?

While the beaches are similar, there are nuances for each.  Some are great for soft sand and swimming while others are better for snorkeling.  Unless I'm getting a brief nap I'd rather be in the water than on the beach, but I can certainly relate to escaping the cold of winter to a beautiful stretch of sun and sand 🙂 

OP - I've only done Cozumel of the beaches you list and it was an NCL excursion.  Beautiful beach with hammocks in the water😎. I think it was Passion Island.

You make a good point. Maybe having grown up so close to Presque Isle has tempered any enthusiasm for beaches in other parts of the world. I can go to Presque Isle any time, 12 months of the year and find and appreciate it. From beaches, to biking, to marathons, to picnics and so forth there is so much to do there, that I don't need to travel to the Caribbean to experience what I can find at home, so I am looking for different things, while still considering it a vacation. To me though, the learning experiences of different places is relaxing and fun. Different strokes I guess. That said however, on our last journey cruise to the Caribbean last November, it seemed to me as though there were more people interested in making the ship their destination. Of course there was an extremely high number of P/D's on board, who had been there many times before, as we had. 

• Like 1

In grand cayman you can easily catch a "bus" (usually a little bus that acts taxi style) that will take you down to 7 mile beach for $2.50 per person. There is a beverage store on the right right before you get there, if needed.

In cozumel, taxi prices are posted. It costs as much for 1 or 2 as it does for 4. I think the closet beaches are about 16 each way, for up to 4. Palancar and further out are around 30.

Jamaica, if you happen to be going to falmouth, has a beach nearly next to the port. Carnival sells it as an excursion though.

Montego bay has the hard rock cafe very close by, just a few minutes walk, which has good service and the beach.

Cozumel -- there are lots of beach clubs not too far.  We have been to Paradise Beach.  Just head to the cab stand and check out the board and it will give you the cost to the major beach clubs.   Very easy.

Grand Cayman has 7 mile beach.  You can catch a cab and asked to be dropped off there.  We decided to get away from the crowds and head to the end of 7mile beach.  Its called cemetery beach.  It was nice and quiet but there were no amenities.   We also snorkeled at Eden Rock like an above poster mentioned.

We didn't go to the beach when we went to Jamaica so I can't help with that one.  

If you click on my signature you may find pictures in my one of my reviews.  Our last cruise was on the Magic and I did a review but can't update my signature.  You can search under my name for the review.  Grand Cayman beach photos would be there.  And paradise beach is under my Disney cruise review and carnival breeze in my signature.