Cruise Critic Community
luckyinpa

summit deck 9 cabin at elevator lobby..noise?

though it really applies to any deck/lobby. i'm assuming theres no door between the lobby and the cabins so wondering what kind of noise you hear from the elevator lobby if you have a cabin where you literally come out of the cabin and see the lobby right in front of you? just with about half the deck having to go in front of your cabin it's a tad worrisome

been trying to find vid online but cannot yet. 

There’s a thread in the top section of Celebrity Forum labeled M-Class Staterooms which list most of the M-Class SR status, which Summit is part of. Check your specific SR number. I’ve had SR’s on Deck 9 but not the specific one you are referring to being straight across from the elevator area but I’ve been close and never noticed any noise from it. 

Den

Pretty sure there ARE doors between the elevator lobbies and the cabin hallways. Our last cabin was only one door down from the elevator lobby on our last cruise. Didn't notice any noise from them at all. Now ask me about the kids running up and down the hallway.....

Edited by mom says

11 minutes ago, mom says said:

Pretty sure there ARE doors between the elevator lobbies and the cabin hallways. Our last cabin was only one door down from the elevator lobby on our last cruise. Didn't notice any noise from them at all. Now ask me about the kids running up and down the hallway.....

The only doors are the fire doors that are usually open except on turn around day when they close them to keep the passengers out until rooms are ready.   Just my observation.     Best way i can describe it is a lobby area that open up to a hallway where the rooms are.  

I walk about 12 miles a day and in bad weather walk the hallways from the top deck all the way down to deck 3 never seen a door on any M S or E class ship.   On the forward and aft elevator banks on M-Class it is more like a partition wall you walk around.

image.png

image.png

found a vid. yea, i wouldnt want that room  (at 20 second mark) .also can you really see light under that cabin door? geez. i hope is a reflection or will make wind noise when balcony open

Edited by luckyinpa

The video is great.    Near the end you can see the fire doors that are kept open and how it opens into the elevator stairwell lobby.

We were on the Summit in October and had an accessible cabin on deck seven next to the forward elevators and never heard any noise. In December we sailed again in an accessible cabin on deck nine at the back of the ship(not a brilliant idea to but a handicapped cabin the furthest from the elevators) that lobby was noisy. Waiting for the elevators people were talking and in the evening it’s the teen hangout.

Results are, by the front elevators are fine due to the partition that Jim_Lain pointed out, and the other elevators are susceptible to people gathering and waiting for others creating some noise as the are no doors or partitions.

Hal

rereading this thread i realized i didnt specify forward , yet i'm sure the same applies to aft as well. 9028 is available but is right there at the entrance, though it appears possible not 100% visible to the lobby. i had been excited to find new cabins on 10 to protect the starboard side of the ship from noise above. but now these cabins are almost sold out and i'm waiting for the sale to be over so i can book the cheaper rate. (yes you heard that right) 

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The only doors are the fire doors that are usually open except on turn around day when they close them to keep the passengers out until rooms are ready.   Just my observation.     Best way i can describe it is a lobby area that open up to a hallway where the rooms are.  

I walk about 12 miles a day and in bad weather walk the hallways from the top deck all the way down to deck 3 never seen a door on any M S or E class ship.   On the forward and aft elevator banks on M-Class it is more like a partition wall you walk around.

image.png

image.png

i am confused about the pics. obviously the bottom pic isnt deck 5 because no cabins on deck 5. from the comments above am i to assume the forward lobbies all have this partition wall. and in this pic above is the elevator lobby on the top left of the pic while the cabins are on the right side of the pic. that indeed would alleviate any worries about cabin 9028

obviously i my vid i posted its 8 aft and its clear when you stand in the lobby you see the rooms directly there, 8142 in this case. 

We’ve been near the elevators on both M-Class and S-Class ships and have never heard any noise from the elevators.  

good to know because i personally have seen on other ships it be a meeting place for people who are going somewhere or of course groups coming back at nite from shows etc and while that noise is usually mere seconds, if you are at the entrance to the cabins it would be multiplied by the volume of people and activities. but something tells me summit is a bit more subdued than the other ships. i hope. 

heck i know every ship will have the running kids in the hall and thats totally unavoidable. i just didnt wanna possibly choose a cabin that is more likely to hear the crowd noises.  like for instance on one ship i was on, i stayed on the lido deck so people would hang out in the lobby more than you would on other decks because of the nature of the location. 

The picture of deck 5 is totally open and much larger then 6 - 9 as it is the main floor. Hall noise varies on the length of the cruise(7 days vs. 12) and departure port, shorter cruises have a more active elevator use due to more kids.

You didn’t state when you were cruising.

We’re on rather Summit in June(10 days) and have cabin 6109 which is right to the forward elevators. Also on the Summit in October 17th(12 days) and in 7141, again next to the forward elevators. If you have not been on the Summit, the forward elevators are not like the rear elevators; the are only on the port side and those lobbies are totally enclosed away from the elevators(which don’t make noise except for the floor pings).

Hal

20 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

The picture of deck 5 is totally open and much larger then 6 - 9 as it is the main floor. Hall noise varies on the length of the cruise(7 days vs. 12) and departure port, shorter cruises have a more active elevator use due to more kids.

You didn’t state when you were cruising.

We’re on rather Summit in June(10 days) and have cabin 6109 which is right to the forward elevators. Also on the Summit in October 17th(12 days) and in 7141, again next to the forward elevators. If you have not been on the Summit, the forward elevators are not like the rear elevators; the are only on the port side and those lobbies are totally enclosed away from the elevators(which don’t make noise except for the floor pings).

Hal

june bermuda cruise

on the plans i see those cabins above appear to be midship. 

im specifically looking at cabins like 9028 but now im curious about something else. something like 8018 across from a bunch of inside cabins. any more likely to hear those doors slamming vs cabins next to you? obviously 2x the people in the hall to get to those cabins too