Greek Isles

Thoughts on this cruise? 

Venice, Italy | Kotor, Montenegro | Corfu, Greece | Athens (Piraeus), Greece | Mykonos, Greece | Argostoli, Greece | Cruising | Venice, Italy

or 

Venice, Italy | Kotor, Montenegro | Cruising | Mykonos, Greece | Santorini, Greece | Cruising | Split, Croatia | Venice, Italy

Which one?

Anyone been on Rhapsody recently? Thoughts on the ship?

I haven't done any research yet....if you've done it and have a trip review please link me. We are thinking end of Aug/early Sept 2021 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We'd get off the ship on our anniversary which kinda stinks but I figure we will spend 1, maybe 2 night in Venice before heading home. And we'd fly in the day before. 

Edited by nyyhoneybee

Rhapsody info here, lovely ship:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?type=forums_topic&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&nodes=51&q=rhapsody

Check the port of call forum for excursion info:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/

I don't think you can go wrong with either itinerary.  I went on the first, but they didn’t have the second and agree it would be a difficult choice if they had!!

I think the question you need to ask is how badly do you want to see Athens?  Are you really  interested in the history there and would miss seeing sites such as the Parthenon?

If you really have no strong feelings about Athens, then it’s a no brainer to go on the 2nd itinerary, even though there are two sea days (ps Kotor and Split are both great too!)

Just now, Alter Ego said:

I don't think you can go wrong with either itinerary.  I went on the first, but they didn’t have the second and agree it would be a difficult choice if they had!!

I think the question you need to ask is how badly do you want to see Athens?  Are you really  interested in the history there and would miss seeing sites such as the Parthenon?

If you really have no strong feelings about Athens, then it’s a no brainer to go on the 2nd itinerary, even though there are two sea days (ps Kotor and Split are both great too!)

I really don't have strong opinions either way. I can find stuff at every port to enjoy and I don't have any must do's. It might come down to hunny deciding if he rather get off the ship on our anniversary or board on our anniversary. All the options that work I gave to him and he said he'd like to do Venice so that helped me narrow down from about 7 different choices to these two 😂 

12 minutes ago, bearette said:

I'd take the one with less sea days.  In a pinch, I always use price as my tie breaker.  Airfare price may also make a difference.

Prices are about the same and it's to far out to check airfare but it's a week apart so I don't think it will be a huge difference 

5 hours ago, nyyhoneybee said:

Thoughts on this cruise? 

Venice, Italy | Kotor, Montenegro | Corfu, Greece | Athens (Piraeus), Greece | Mykonos, Greece | Argostoli, Greece | Cruising | Venice, Italy

or 

Venice, Italy | Kotor, Montenegro | Cruising | Mykonos, Greece | Santorini, Greece | Cruising | Split, Croatia | Venice, Italy

Which one?

Anyone been on Rhapsody recently? Thoughts on the ship?

I haven't done any research yet....if you've done it and have a trip review please link me. We are thinking end of Aug/early Sept 2021 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We'd get off the ship on our anniversary which kinda stinks but I figure we will spend 1, maybe 2 night in Venice before heading home. And we'd fly in the day before. 

We’ve sailed and absolutely loved our cruises on Rhapsody a few times these past years doing both itineraries.

I’d really say if you had the time and money was no object do a back to back.

However if I was to choose one it would be.

Venice Kotor Mykonos Santorini Split.

Forget the cruise.

Fly to Athens.  Spend a few days, seeing the sights.

Then hit one or two islands.  Cruise does not GIVE you time for the islands.

We spent a week on Mykonos, and needed more time and would like to go back.

53 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

You coul

You could also do a pre or post cruise land trip out to Venice and then take a cruise out of Civitavecchia. It’s a one hour flight for about $100 or a six hour trip by car or train. Flying internationally to Rome is generally cheaper than Venice too.

if you stick with Venice, either of those itineraries look amazing!

Hubby brought that up also. The only one that had us leaving out of Civitavecchia that we haven't done in the time frame I'm looking is also the Greek Isles so to me it just makes sense to leave out of Venice if we want to spend some time there anyway unless I'm missing some cruises. 

4 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We’ve sailed and absolutely loved our cruises on Rhapsody a few times these past years doing both itineraries.

I’d really say if you had the time and money was no object do a back to back.

However if I was to choose one it would be.

Venice Kotor Mykonos Santorini Split.

I wish a B2B was an option. But it's not. 

47 minutes ago, SRF said:

Forget the cruise.

Fly to Athens.  Spend a few days, seeing the sights.

Then hit one or two islands.  Cruise does not GIVE you time for the islands.

We spent a week on Mykonos, and needed more time and would like to go back.

If we do a land vacation I think we are considering Ireland. We are tossing that around also. Why can't we have unlimited time off work and vacation time to do everything? 

20 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

We did Ireland a couple of years ago and loved it. Whatever you decide, you will have a memorable anniversary! Please let us know. 😀

Everyone I know who's been there loves it. 

We have a FCC of a pretty decent amount to use. We can use it on our upcoming FoS cruise (Southern Caribbean) or wait and use it for our anniversary. I'm tempted to use it for our anniversary which is why I'm leaning cruise vs land. 

57 minutes ago, nyyhoneybee said:

Anyone do this cruise end of September. Thoughts on weather?

it’s probably hard to compare year after year (or even week after week!)

My cruise was at the end of September (quick email search shows that my flight left for Venice on 9/20/18 and returned on 9/29/18).  Weather started fine (warm in Venice, Kotor and Corfu).  Received word fairly early that we would not be stopping in Mykonos due to weather/waves and Athens turned into an overnight, leaving maybe around noon the next day). Athens was cooler.  We came close to Argostoli, but were turned away due to waves and we had an unexpected sea day.  Royal scrambled and we added Split on our last day.  So, I always say never cruise if missing a stop will effect the entire trip, so I rolled with the changes (although disappointed to miss Mykonos.)  But, I know there was a poster who went to the Greek isles out of Rome last year (2019) - maybe September or October and had no issues. Great review if you can find it.

3 hours ago, nyyhoneybee said:

3 hours ago, nyyhoneybee said:

All our Rhapsody cruises with these itineraries the past few years it’s our favourite month for the Mediterranean and Greek Isles have been in September and we’ve always had excellent weather with flat calm seas.

My wife and I did the first one (exact cruise) that you mentioned, departing this past October. Kotor was incredible we loved the walled city and the cruise into Kotor was the best views ever from a ship. Corfu was ok, we didn't do a beach tour just walked the city, very touristy, just Ok. Athens has to be seen it was an incredible day, we went to the Acropolis then shopping and eating/drinking in the Plaka. Mykonos was pretty, we swam right at the waterfront but it was the most touristy spot we went to, crazy prices on everything and very busy, maybe a bit of a let down. Argostoli is smaller and less touristy but might be our favorite, cheap beer and food, no crowds, sea turtles right on the waterfront, very quaint. Overall a great cruise, the Rhapsody although small and older than most is a great ship. We had great weather everyday and would do it all over again!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:49 AM, nyyhoneybee said:

If we do a land vacation I think we are considering Ireland. We are tossing that around also. Why can't we have unlimited time off work and vacation time to do everything? 

You can have unlimited time off.  But unfortunately, that job choice does not pay very well. 😄

Ireland is great for a drive/land vacation.  So is Scotland, which is my preference.  Partly because I prefer Scotch Whisky over Irish Whiskey. 😄

12 hours ago, nyyhoneybee said:

The Greek Isles tourist season is April 1 to Oct 1.

Peak being mid-June to early-September.

We did Mykonos in April, and the weather was great, but the water was COLD.  Talking to locals we got to know (it was VERY quiet), told us that the last two weeks of September is the best time.  Every place is still open (MANY close on Oct 1), it is not too hot, but the water is still nice and warm.