Week on Zuiderdam--First time HAL

JNAL2T

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed the silent disco on another line. It was so much fun and funny!! Everyone wears headphones and dances and sings to 3 or 4 different DJ’s playing songs. You can switch on the headset to whichever type of music they’re playing. Remove the headphones and its quiet except for people singing. Just fun! Quiet fun!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shiny1 said:

We enjoyed the silent disco on another line. It was so much fun and funny!! Everyone wears headphones and dances and sings to 3 or 4 different DJ’s playing songs. You can switch on the headset to whichever type of music they’re playing. Remove the headphones and its quiet except for people singing. Just fun! Quiet fun!

I need to experience this.

We also took our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in January.  We embarked after cruising the prior 2 weeks on the Sky Princess.

We were honestly shocked at how dark and small the ship was.  After coming off the Sky with it's light colors and gorgeous Piazza, we couldn't believe how old and out of date (red velvet couches in the theater??) it was.  We had upgraded to a Signature Suite the month before and even it seemed dark.  I thought the menu choices in the main dining room were strange.  There was a lack of beef choices.  And pasta choices on gala night?  Weird buffet hours.  And the ship was rocking like crazy!  We didn't even feel it the 2 weeks prior.  I'm still rocking somewhat and we've been off for 2 weeks.  27 cruises and I've never felt like this.

However, there were positives.  The smaller ship made it easy to get everywhere.  No need to get to the theater really early. We ended up loving our cabin and our large balcony.  Our room stewards were the best we've ever had!!  The bread pudding upstairs was delicious.  And loved that they offered PG tips tea bags.  Best was the service.  

Would we cruise HAL again? Maybe. If the price, itinerary and ship were right.

19 minutes ago, palolake said:

We also took our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in January.  We embarked after cruising the prior 2 weeks on the Sky Princess.

We were honestly shocked at how dark and small the ship was.  After coming off the Sky with it's light colors and gorgeous Piazza, we couldn't believe how old and out of date (red velvet couches in the theater??) it was.  We had upgraded to a Signature Suite the month before and even it seemed dark.  I thought the menu choices in the main dining room were strange.  There was a lack of beef choices.  And pasta choices on gala night?  Weird buffet hours.  And the ship was rocking like crazy!  We didn't even feel it the 2 weeks prior.  I'm still rocking somewhat and we've been off for 2 weeks.  27 cruises and I've never felt like this.

However, there were positives.  The smaller ship made it easy to get everywhere.  No need to get to the theater really early. We ended up loving our cabin and our large balcony.  Our room stewards were the best we've ever had!!  The bread pudding upstairs was delicious.  And loved that they offered PG tips tea bags.  Best was the service.  

Would we cruise HAL again? Maybe. If the price, itinerary and ship were right.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. I have never noticed any HAL ship as being dark. But maybe it seemed that way after being on the Sky. 

Being a smaller ship and old fashioned is just what I like about ships like the Zuiderdam. I used to cruise exclusively on Princess ships, but changed brands after they started acquiring huge ships.  

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, JNAL2T said:

the first time I saw the Taco Bar I thought it looked good and grabbed a plate. Unfortunately I saw someone cough into their hand and proceed to pick up chips with their hands, I couldn't try it the rest of the week even though it looked good.

I don't hestitate to speak up to idiot passengers who pick through chips, rolls, cookies or anything else.  That's what the tongs are for.  I also notify staff that someone just used their hands to pick through some food.

It' also a good idea to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and use it after touching the tongs and other items and just before I eat.