SIGH,,,,You can do better Carnival Corp!

leerathje

If they keep polluting they should be denied entry into the harbour, that will hit them in the pocket book. If the Captains of the ships know that it's wrong, why do they keep polluting the waters, hold them responsible. Or better still hold the CEO personally  responsible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From an article linked in the posted article. Not good but at least not intentional and covered up as has happened in the past.

"On Thursday morning, while the company’s Carnival Elation cruise ship was docked, a gray water valve “failed and unintentionally discharged gray water from non-sewage waste water systems,” a company spokesperson said in a statement. Around 5,900 gallons of untreated gray water spilled into the ocean, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection confirmed.

The spill happened when the ship was discharging water from its ballast system to stabilize it, Carnival said. Port Canaveral authorities told the Orlando Sentinel that no cleanup was necessary. The ship continued on its scheduled four-day cruise Thursday afternoon. " https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article238937103.html

I don't know what the heck is going on at Carnival Corp, but this is way beyond the point of ridiculous.  They keep throwing smoke and mirrors at customers saying they are saving the world by eliminating straws and sugar packets while behind the scenes, they keep illegally dumping.....whether it's Westerdam in Glacier Bay, Elation in Port Canaveral, etc, etc, etc.  😡

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It would appear that Carnival isn't the only one guilty of mismanaging waste water.  This is probably much more of danger:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fort-lauderdale-mayor-seeks-state-federal-aid-after-211m-gallons-of-sewage-leaks-from-pipes-into-streets-drinking-water

What this has to do with anything cruise related is beyond me. The Fort Lauderdale situation is 50 years in the making.

Edited by NordicPrince
add
  • Like 1

I always thought that Holland America was a line that took environmental protection seriously.  But, let's face it, if we really cared about protecting our planet, we would not fly planes, take cruises, or drive certain vehicles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You've never cruised from FLL?

The OP posted about the discharge of grey water from a Carnival ship. That is related to a cruise ship. The situation in Fort Lauderdale is a municipal problem that has nothing to do with cruise ships discharging grey water.  One has nothing to do with the other.

4 hours ago, Dunelm said:

I always thought that Holland America was a line that took environmental protection seriously.  But, let's face it, if we really cared about protecting our planet, we would not fly planes, take cruises, or drive certain vehicles.

You're right, I'm holding off on all travel until they complete that rail tunnel to Hawaii and the other tunnel to Europe.   That should be right around to corner.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:12 PM, NordicPrince said:

The OP posted about the discharge of grey water from a Carnival ship. That is related to a cruise ship. The situation in Fort Lauderdale is a municipal problem that has nothing to do with cruise ships discharging grey water.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Actually, I think pollution from any source anywhere is a part of a whole.  Our planet increasingly is polluted and, to some extent, we are all to blame.  There are little adjustments, though, to our lifestyle that could help--avoid plastic, recycle, recycle, recycle, and so on.  A few weeks ago, a warning was sent out from a country's chemical society (never happened before) that minerals used for I-Phones, Computers, and the like will not be available in a hundred years' time.  If we care about future generations we should heed such warnings by recycling, and refusing to buy the latest models.

On 1/26/2020 at 2:35 AM, leerathje said:

Taking away sweetener packets isn't going to fix this.

I don't understand the reasoning for posting this about the removal of sweetener packets, particularly Splenda (as compared to other brands), on some HAL ships and not others.

The OP's post was concerned about CCL's compliance with environmental regulations.  At least, that is what I read.  What does the need for a guest to "seek in the Lido and specifically require from Room Service that packets of Splenda be served with the order for coffee" have much to do with compliance or non-compliance with environmental regulations?

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't understand the reasoning for posting this about the removal of sweetener packets, particularly Splenda (as compared to other brands), on some HAL ships and not others.

The OP's post was concerned about CCL's compliance with environmental regulations.  At least, that is what I read.  What does the need for a guest to "seek in the Lido and specifically require from Room Service that packets of Splenda be served with the order for coffee" have much to do with compliance or non-compliance with environmental regulations?

Because Holland America (all of Carnival Corp actually) is on an Environmental Compliance Plan...aka federal probation...for their role in recent dumping incidents.  The action of eliminating sugar packets, straws, etc, are an effort to comply with the probation.  So basically, sugar packets are gone as a result of their dumping.  Kinda sad when you let that sink in.

21 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Because Holland America (all of Carnival Corp actually) is on an Environmental Compliance Plan...aka federal probation...for their role in recent dumping incidents.  The action of eliminating sugar packets, straws, etc, are an effort to comply with the probation.  So basically, sugar packets are gone as a result of their dumping.  Kinda sad when you let that sink in.

Thanks for your post.  Sad?  Yes, I agree.

As the Federal Judge, I am not sure that I would equate the routine elimination of sugar packets, etc. as an equivalent measure to compensate for the dumping that CCL branded ships have been found guilty of doing.  

Is it an attempt of showing "we are trying to meet the terms of our probation, your Honor"?  Yes.  But do packets of Splenda, Equal, Sugar, and  Sweet n' Low that happen to fall overboard make a significant difference in the pollution of the oceans?

19 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Ill bring my own sweetener...No problem

I was not implying that packets of a sweetener are not available.  They are, but on the Eurodam, the guest had to look for them in the beverage area and request them if ordering Room Service.  On the Volendam, the packets were on the tables in the Lido Restaurant and on the Room  Service trays.

If removing the packets is a way of CCL trying to show the Federal Court that it is working to meet its Environmental Compliance Plan, then, why the inconsistency of what one ship is doing as compared to another? 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I was not implying that packets of a sweetener are not available.  They are, but on the Eurodam, the guest had to look for them in the beverage area and request them if ordering Room Service.  On the Volendam, the packets were on the tables in the Lido Restaurant and on the Room  Service trays.

If removing the packets is a way of CCL trying to show the Federal Court that it is working to meet its Environmental Compliance Plan, then, why the inconsistency of what one ship is doing as compared to another? 

How fortunate for you that this is an issue!  Wishing you sweet sailing.

11 minutes ago, Dunelm said:

How fortunate for you that this is an issue!  Wishing you sweet sailing.

My issue is HAL's inconsistency of what one's cruise experience is from ship to ship.  

This "issue" has been one on which I, as well as others, have made comments for several years.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am guessing they are using up inventory.

• Like 1