Packing for around the Horn (BA to Chile)

conbon78

We are traveling BA to Chile in March, so I’m assuming fall weather. I was figuring packing summer wear for Buenos Aires, but what about around the Horn? Should we pack like an Alaskan cruise??

Also, is there anything you would recommend packing that you either forgot to pack and wish you had or were so thankful that you packed?

Layers is the key to packing for a Round the Horn Cruise.

We sailed your itinerary in reverse in January/ February 2018 on Emerald Princess. We travelled from GB so it was quite cold leaving home. We wore padded jackets and took hats, scarves and gloves. When we reached BA we packed them away in our hand luggage using vacuum bags before flying on to Santiago, where it was warm. Spent three nights in Santiago wearing summer weight clothes and sandals. Took the Princess transfer to San Antonio. 

We also packed fleece jackets which were needed to sit on deck as we sailed south..however, we bundled up under towels and failed to use sun protection so ended up searching our first port for After Sun Lotion.

We were lucky with the weather and didn't have any rain. Until we got to Argentina we wore trainers with socks , long sleeved tee shirts and a fleece. Carried wool jumpers but didn't need them. Looking at my notebook, I took a thermal vest but didn't wear it.

Sprayed trainers with waterproofing spray in case of wet weather and would suggest taking two pairs in case you do have rain and need to dry one pair. We didn't need to do this but alternated closed shoes and trainers.

I am incapable of packing lightly, so brought home many items that I didn't wear/ need.

Wore usual cruise attire for evenings with high heeded court shoes and a shawl. 

It was one of our favourite cruises and we return to South America in the next few weeks...hence the notebook coming out to remind us of what we might need.

Any other questions, just ask.

Bon Voyage!

• Thanks 2

Just recently came back from the VO Santiago to BA cruise. Found it a challenging cruise to pack for with weather going from very warm to cold but felt I was successful. I had a carry on size bag although I checked it since I also had a tote bag & purse. In terms of the cold weather, layers is the key. I packed my lightweight Gortex rain jacket with hood, a base layer shirt (e.g. 1/4 zip with thumb holes in sleeves), long down vest that compacts nicely, gloves, scarf, wool socks, & knit cap. Also packed Cuddl Duds leggings (essentially long underwear) but never wore them. Packed 2 lightweight sweaters that came in handy for the public areas on the ship and could also layer under jacket. We were very fortunate with the weather not being really cold or rainy. I did buy for the trip some inexpensive waterproof shoe covers since we were going to Volunteer Point to see the King Penguins. Knew that it could be muddy but did not need them. I wore on the long plane rides my favorite fleece zip jacket since that would take up too much room in suitcase. On the plane wore my everyday walking/hiking shoes and packed in my tote some sandals, ballet flats & canvas Keds. Hope this helps.

We just completed San Antonio Chile around the Horn to BA on Eclipse.  The beginning (Santiago) and end (Buenos Aires) were hot and humid days.  But for most of the Patagonia part of our cruise it was chilly, windy, misty or rainy or all of the above.  We missed two ports due to inclement weather/high winds and seas (Punta Arenas and Punta Del Este). We wished we had taken more warm clothes and fewer summer clothes.  

• Thanks 1