What to do in Chania, Crete?

bobmacliberty

We're trying to decide what to do during our Chania, Crete stop on Explorer of the Seas this coming September 1.  Ideas so far:

1. Get transportation from Souda port to the Chania Old Town and explore on our own

2. Organized Chania Old Town tour...possibly involving wine and/or food

3. One of the Jeep winery/olive oil and lunch tours 

4. Beach day - We don't seek out beaches everywhere so this would only be our choice if there was something unique

5. Some sort of sailing/catamaran/snorkel type tour

6. ?????

We don't mind paying for a good tour and definitely prefer private or small group.  What have you enjoyed?  Any recommended tour companies?  Thanks for any help.

We took the shuttle into Chania and just wandered around the town. The shuttle drops you in the old part of town near the market.  Walk through here and through the shopping area to the sea front where there are loads off tavernas.  It's great for sampling the local food and just people watching. Would be a shame not to see this beautiful Greek port.

• Like 2

Souda is sort of a low-key port. I've enjoyed (well, relatively enjoyed -- I normally like stops where there is more history/ruins to explore) just exploring Chania. It's a small place, I cannot see need for a tour. Easy to find eateries if that's your desire, some pretty cafes with seating open to the Venetian harbor are a good place to start. Don't miss the small but interesting Archaeological Museum located in what was a Turkish-style hammam (baths).  Fun shopping too, there are still some real artisans such as leather workers, and the covered market near where the shuttles/buses drop off and pick up has some interesting food items although the crafts are mostly mass manufactured....

Med cruises can be intense; sometimes it is good to have a day that is more low-key to recharge the batteries.

On the other hand, having been to Chania three times, on my upcoming cruise in October I am looking at a tour that goes to Aptera (Greek/Roman/Byzantine ruins) and also visits a couple of old towns, presumably atmospheric.

• Like 3

Thanks.  Good to hear that wandering around Chania is a good option.  My original thought was to use Chania as a low key day, but it's our first port day on day 2 after a sea day.  We may be itching to do something.  We're also in Mykonos the next day and I'm currently thinking of making that the low key day (with Ephesus, Santorini, and Athens being back to back to back packed days immediately after).

Anyone have experience with the Jeep winery tours up in the mountains?  

• Like 1

We are on the same cruise and having same thoughts on Crete and Mykonos. We have tours booked for all the other ports so going to just have a bit of a wander at these two rather than anything organised. Be good to have some relaxing days at the beginning of cruise. Mediterranean cruises are always so full on!

On 1/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, moshek said:

Be good to have some relaxing days at the beginning of cruise. Mediterranean cruises are always so full on!

One of these days, I'll learn to factor in some relaxing time.  We make it to Europe about once a year on holiday and there is just so much to see that I feel like I need to be full on every day.  We're in Rome for 4 days before the cruise and will be in Florence, Lake Como, and Venice after.  Maybe I will relax while at Lake Como.   I wonder if George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin need someone to watch their house while sitting in their yard overlooking the lake?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, konatyme said:

We want to see the Heraklion Archaeological Museum (and perhaps Knossos Palace). Does anyone know how far these are from Chania?

They are about 2 hours away by taxi and more by local bus. 

Knossos palace is lovely but best visited in the morning as the temperature gets really hot Pm and there is very little shade there. The original art is in the Heraklion museum eg the Prince of the Lillies (top floor) and you can spend a happy day here.

If you are only in port for one day then I’m not sure just how practical these visits would be as a DIY trip. Personally I would not take the chance.

• 1 year later...

A friend recently told me a great new cafe called Anassa opened in Chania. 
Fabulous spot to stop for artisan cocktails and small plates. Or even just a coffee. Great views

On 2/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, konatyme said:

Sounds like maybe we'll just go into town and wander around. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, dronnygirl said:

We took the shuttle into Chania and just wandered around the town. The shuttle drops you in the old part of town near the market.  Walk through here and through the shopping area to the sea front where there are loads off tavernas.  It's great for sampling the local food and just people watching. Would be a shame not to see this beautiful Greek port.

Was that a ship's shuttle or a local one - and was it free!?

59 minutes ago, little britain said:

Some ships lay on a shuttle, others do not. You'd need to check on the forum for your particular cruise line. 

That said, Chania also arranges for a special local bus service. It also drops off at the market. I cannot remember the exact price (and haven't been to Chania in several years) but it was inexpensive.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:31 PM, little britain said:

It was a bus provided by the port authority and cost about 2 euros. Running back and forth all day long and very convenient.

Not for everyone perhaps but we took the local bus from Chania to Rethymnon, and explored there for a bit before returning to Chania where we enjoyed a very pleasant wander around the town, the port and the couple of museums.

The drive between both towns was actually quite scenic as we had the front seats both directions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 11:21 AM, edinburgher said:

Not for everyone perhaps but we took the local bus from Chania to Rethymnon, and explored there for a bit before returning to Chania where we enjoyed a very pleasant wander around the town, the port and the couple of museums.

The drive between both towns was actually quite scenic as we had the front seats both directions.

That sounds nice .was the bus att he port or shuttle to Chania and then bus?

Our transport had nothing to do with either the ship or the port.

We went by public bus from the bus station in Chania to the bus station in Rethymnon. Both bus stations were central to both towns.

At that time, the bus timetables were easily found online and we had no difficulty.  it was an interesting contrast as Rethymnon Old Town is quite different from Chania, so we thought we saw the best of both..

Edited by edinburgher

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Our transport had nothing to do with either the ship or the port.

We went by public bus from the bus station in Chania to the bus station in Rethymnon. Both bus stations were central to both towns.

At that time, the bus timetables were easily found online and we had no difficulty.  it was an interesting contrast as Rethymnon Old Town is quite different from Chania, so we thought we saw the best of both..

Thanks , I looked on line and that is exactly what I will do . yes , I understand it wasn't through the ship. Was just trying to determine if bus stop was near port.

• 1 month later...

There are lots of beaches near Chania,  and a local bus that travels along.  I am more familiar with Ones that are farther away.   Falasarna is gorgeous but probably about an hours drive.  There is a nice one near  Souda bay where Zorba the Greek was filmed.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bennybear said:

There are lots of beaches near Chania,  and a local bus that travels along.  I am more familiar with Ones that are farther away.   Falasarna is gorgeous but probably about an hours drive.  There is a nice one near  Souda bay where Zorba the Greek was filmed.  

We will second that beach!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.  We're going to Chania next May.  I hope to see the lighthouse in Chania, plus the center city area, and hopefully get to Reythymnon too, on the bus.  The harbor/port/marina area there looks attractive and I love taking pictures.

I've seen pictures of Chania with a large domed building on the waterfront.  What is that?  I'm just curious.    

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks for the info.  We're going to Chania next May.  I hope to see the lighthouse in Chania, plus the center city area, and hopefully get to Reythymnon too, on the bus.  The harbor/port/marina area there looks attractive and I love taking pictures.

I've seen pictures of Chania with a large domed building on the waterfront.  What is that?  I'm just curious.    

If this is the building you're talking about, it is the Hassan Pasha mosque (also called the mosque of the Janissaries), now an exhibition space/art gallery:

image.thumb.png.1376f503aa15010091bc3e586a78f7b0.png

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, cruisemom42 said:

If this is the building you're talking about, it is the Hassan Pasha mosque (also called the mosque of the Janissaries), now an exhibition space/art gallery:

image.thumb.png.1376f503aa15010091bc3e586a78f7b0.png

I think that's it, but the pictures I see are always taken from a bit away, so it's hard to say.  I'll have to look back and see.

In the mean time, if you or anyone knows if smallish cruise ships actually dock at the Chania harbor, I'd love to know.  Our itinerary simply says "Crete" so I'm assuming we will dock at Souda Bay.  But I've snooped on Marine Traffic and maps and a ferry appears to dock in Chania, so hope springs eternal.   We're (hopefully) on the Sirena (Oceania).  I forget the dimensions/draft, but it's not terribly large.