Currency for each country?

We are doing a Baltic cruise in September 2020.  We will be going to Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Finland, and Poland.  I’m a shopper and I’m from Canada. Do I need separate currency for each country or is there a currency that they all will accept?  Also, where is the best place to get the currency and does Princess cruise disburse it?

Our experience has been that even if a country  does not use the Euro, most will post prices in Euros and accept them.  Other than street markets and the like,  at most establishments...use a CC.  Even some vendors at street markets accept them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marco said:

Our experience has been that even if a country  does not use the Euro, most will post prices in Euros and accept them.  Other than street markets and the like,  at most establishments...use a CC.  Even some vendors at street markets accept them. 

Have you  been to  that area?

4 minutes ago, marco said:

We found the same thing in the Baltic, and other non-Euro countries in Europe. And many street vendors accept credit cards, with devices like Square. 

• Thanks 1

All those countries are credit card friendly. In fact Sweden and Estonia are pretty cashless societies. Poland I found some of the more touristy places will accept Euros in some shops but you most likely will get local currency as change. Norway or Denmark I didn't find to be Euro accepting, and outside of Copenhagen some places don't even accept a international cards.

There are ATMs everywhere so obtaining local currency is not difficult just make sure you withdraw only from bank ATMs and not the non affiliated ones as they charge high fees and give terrible rates. There are apps you can download to help you locate desired ATMs. 

If a place in Norway posts prices in Euro, you're quite possibly at a tourist trap and almost certainly getting a terrible exchange rate. Luckily, bank cards are nearly universally accepted, even for very small purchases. However, some small-scale vendors use payment systems that require a chip-and-PIN card.

I took Euros on my 1st Baltic cruise and really did not need them as much as I thought.  The best advice is to use your credit card.  I noticed in line for coffee in several places everyone used their card even for small amounts.  Europe tends to be more cashless than the U.S.  I'm leaning towards not taking Euros this year.

I took a Norway cruise this past Fall and did not get local currency.  I'm staying in Copenhagen a few days before my Baltic cruise this year, might get local currency once I'm there.  I think because I'm older, not using my credit card as much, paying for postcards, coffee, sweet rolls small things is just an adjustment factor.  

We needed cash a handful of times, for a hot dog stand and several public toilets.  It's good to have just a few dollars in coins for toilets.

Almost everyone takes CC.  I think it's Sweden that has actively been pushing to go cashless.

6 hours ago, ljandgb said:

It's good to have just a few dollars in coins for toilets.

For some public toilets you will need a €0.50 coin, in Poland it was about 1 - 2 zloty. In Denmark we came across toilets where you put money in a slot to unlock the door. Can't remember the price unfortunately. 

Just to be clear, you need a few dollars worth of local currency in coins.  Euros work fine if it's an attendant with a basket, but local currency might be necessary if it's a slot operated door or turnstile.  It's usually the equivalent of 50 cents or so.

This is more important if you are DIY'ing your excursion.  If going with the ship, I'm going to guess they'll take you to free toilets.

10 hours ago, ljandgb said:

It's good to have just a few dollars in coins for toilets.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

we came across toilets where you put money in a slot to unlock the door.

This! 👆 If planning on DIY, it is a good idea to have a few coins in the local currency.

I should have mentioned this, too!  As I travel overseas frequently, I always have Euro and Pound coins, which do come in handy.  I always manage to hang on to some after trips.

Because I had OBC attached to this cruise, I am not doing independent tours this cruise.  As mentioned for DIY local currency might become more of an issue.

3 hours ago, TheBear60 said:

I have heard from other sites that they travel the Baltic recently with US $1 bills that are accepted for small purchases, tips & can be exchanged for local currency re WC entry, etc.

This is incorrect, very few places in Europe accept $ notes especially not toilets.

Dollars for tips?  ,no way firstly its Europe not a tipping culture for everything and if you do tip, would you give Euros or zloty in NY as a tip? So do not think about it in Europe.

Purchases are either cc or local currency anything else the exchange rate will be very poor. In Sweden especially its almost cashless, but you will need a chip / pin card. In Norway last year saw a great sign - we do not take any foreign currencies  $ £ € .

I will just add that in Copenhagen most public toilets along Strøget and Nyhavn are free. 

Another poster noted that outside Copenhagen its difficult to use a credit card, I don't know where they went but its not the case. 

However if you don't have a chip and pin card (or atleast a pin card) it can get difficult. 

And as others have posted, avoid the atms that are not from a bank because they are expensive. 

Just look for Nordea, Danske Bank, Arbejdernes Landsbank, Spar Nord etc etc. 

• Like 1