Cruise Critic Community
rachelfran

Nuremberg to Prague post cruise

Considering booking my own extension and wondering if I can save money over what the cruiseline charges ...

Seems to be about $2500 for two of us ... How can I get from Nuremburg to Prague?  

Has anyone done this off of a Scenic cruise? 

Thanks!

Call them and ask them.  We were on AmaWaterways, and they allowed us to just buy the transfer, then we made our own arrangements in Prague.

14 hours ago, texasstar said:

Call them and ask them.  We were on AmaWaterways, and they allowed us to just buy the transfer, then we made our own arrangements in Prague.

thanks.. they were closed yesterday but i just called and they said they do not sell the transfer on it's own and i'd have to make my own way if i don't buy their extension.  It's $2500 extra for two people for the transfers, 3 nights in prague, one tour and the transfer out.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:57 PM, rachelfran said:

Considering booking my own extension and wondering if I can save money over what the cruiseline charges ...

Seems to be about $2500 for two of us ... How can I get from Nuremburg to Prague?  

Has anyone done this off of a Scenic cruise? 

Thanks!

I am doing the same thing in Sept. 2020 except from a Viking cruise.  They also will not sell you just a transfer.  In my search for transportation I came up with 3 options.

1.  Private transfer for around $200.00 is the quickest.

2.  Train would be the middle price and take about 6 hours.

3.  Bus is cheaper and quicker than train- about 3 1/2 hours.

None of 2 or 3 takes into account the departure time of the train or bus and that is not factored into the transport time.

i believe the reason the train takes so much longer than the bus is due to a change of trains and the wait time for the second train.

Stan

17 minutes ago, travelingman said:

I am doing the same thing in Sept. 2020 except from a Viking cruise.  They also will not sell you just a transfer.  In my search for transportation I came up with 3 options.

None of 2 or 3 takes into account the departure time of the train or bus and that is not factored into the transport time.

i believe the reason the train takes so much longer than the bus is due to a change of trains and the wait time for the second train.

Stan

Don't forget to factor into 2 and 3 (a) the cost of getting to/from the train or bus stations, and (b) the need to schlep your luggage (especially in changing trains).  It has taken me quite a while to overcome my frugal upbringing, but DW has helped me conclude that the cost of a private transfer is worth every penny in the ways it helps us enjoy the rest of the trip.

17 minutes ago, travelingman said:

Stan

Thanks. I think I’ll go with the car and do some sightseeing too .. we’ll save $2500 so $200-$300 on a car will still save us $$ even if I book a great hotel in Prague

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Don't forget to factor into 2 and 3 (a) the cost of getting to/from the train or bus stations, and (b) the need to schlep your luggage (especially in changing trains).  It has taken me quite a while to overcome my frugal upbringing, but DW has helped me conclude that the cost of a private transfer is worth every penny in the ways it helps us enjoy the rest of the trip.

You are right about the additional cost but I think it is minimum compared to a private car transfer.  And, since we both only take a carryon suitcase the schleping of the suitcase is not a concern.  However, if we could find someone to share the private car transfer with I would be more than willing to use it then.

Plus, with a private transfer you have the ability to visit some places on the way if you so choose.

My closing remark would have to be - to each his own.

Don't know if I can ever get out of my "frugal ways".

Stan

Hello.  Take a look at https://myeurotaxi.com.  I think you’ll be surprised and hopefully pleased at their costs for transfers.

We used them December 2018 after we cancelled a river cruise due to low water.  As we had booked our own air we flew in to Prague and out of Budapest so we wanted to keep that reservation.  They provided excellent and always on time service, clean autos, English speaking and very friendly drivers - we’d not hesitate to recommend or use them in the future.  
This was our itinerary...
Leg 1 They picked us up at our hotel in Prague and drove us to Nuremberg where we stayed several nights.  
Leg 2 They then picked us up in Nuremberg and drove us to Vienna where, again, we stayed 3 or 4 nights.  
Leg 3 Final transfer was from Vienna to Budapest where we stayed and flew home from.  

We were only two but they can accommodate larger groups and when you look at prices it will show the costs for different cars and number of passengers.  IMHO it was much easier than schlepping our luggage off and on trains tho more costly and we liked the hotel to hotel service.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy!

Edited by suspaul

We took the train - very comfortable and economical way to travel. Spent a week in Prague last year - made our own hotel reservations. Much less expensive than booking through the cruise line!

We had also taken the overnight train from Amsterdam to Prague on a previous trip (2014) - we really love Prague - it is such a beautiful city. We enjoy staying in the old town - as close to the square (Staromestske namesti) as possible and then using our feet and/or trams to get around.

Edited by dogs4fun

Checked the myeurotaxi website and it is a lot more than the previous pr Fate transfer I had checked on.  myautoeuro is quoting €354 versus $200 on other site I checked.  So, still looking at bus unless I can find another couple to share with. 

stan