Pier arrival time in Manhattan with a child

sboston06

Hello!

My family is traveling out of Manhattan next month on the Bliss. We have a 3.5 year old child and have selected a pier arrival time of 10:30-11:00. Assuming the ship arrives at the pier at the time it should, is this a good plan? We're hoping if we arrive early, we will be able to get on sooner and get our daughter settled and explore a bit. But I obviously want to minimize standing in line and having her get restless.

My husband and I haven't cruised in several years and never out of NYC but it's a whole different ballgame when you're traveling with kids!

Thank you!

I think you'll wait less the later you go.  Everyone wants to get on the ship early.

To make it easier, there are seats available, one person could stand on the line until you're called then everybody can come up.

After signin you can go back to seats in the waiting to board area until they start letting people on.

Those times are just a suggestion. When we sailed on the Breakaway, we got there at 9:45, managed to snag a couple of seats for us, our kids sat on the floor. They started boarding g around 11:30, we got on around noon. If you show up after noon you probably won’t have much of a wait.

Also, be advised that getting onboard doesn't mean you can get settled.  The earlier you board, the less likely your room will be ready, so you might want to consider boarding later so the check-in lines might be shorter and you can go to your room and dump off your coats & carry-on luggage.  Also remember that your checked luggage might not arrive for several hours, so be sure that you carry-on whatever toys or clothes that you might need until it arrives.

Thank you everyone! She doesn’t nap anymore unfortunately but maybe we’ll go to the park first to get some energy out before heading to the pier! We are only bronze level so we’ll be boarding with the masses. This is definitely the largest ship we’ve been on so it helps to know a bit what to expect!

3 hours ago, sboston06 said:

Thank you everyone! She doesn’t nap anymore unfortunately but maybe we’ll go to the park first to get some energy out before heading to the pier! We are only bronze level so we’ll be boarding with the masses. This is definitely the largest ship we’ve been on so it helps to know a bit what to expect!

What cruise are you going on and are you coming from south Boston?

Edited by mamashamiller

6 hours ago, sboston06 said:

Hello!

My family is traveling out of Manhattan next month on the Bliss. We have a 3.5 year old child and have selected a pier arrival time of 10:30-11:00. Assuming the ship arrives at the pier at the time it should, is this a good plan? We're hoping if we arrive early, we will be able to get on sooner and get our daughter settled and explore a bit. But I obviously want to minimize standing in line and having her get restless.

My husband and I haven't cruised in several years and never out of NYC but it's a whole different ballgame when you're traveling with kids!

Thank you!

Show up at 10:00-10:15. You avoid some of the crowds. It will take a few minutes to get through security and a few more at checkin. It will be a short wait in the terminal. General boarding will start around 11:15. 

Edited by BirdTravels