What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

20 minutes ago, forgap said:

All of the hand washing and anti viral strategy commentary is interesting but, perhaps, a bit over the top.

This is true, perhaps we are all overreacting.  On the other hand, no one likes to get sick, and as we age, sometimes what we could easily shrug off in our youth becomes more problematic.  Also, even if we are relatively healthy, we may be traveling with others who are not so much, and  contracting minor illnesses can throw them for a loop. 

So I think that we should all do whatever we (reasonably) can to minimize our chances of contracting anything and spreading anything.

If all of the attention directed at this current crisis motivates everyone to be more vigilant in personal hygiene, that would be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, boblerm said:

This is true, perhaps we are all overreacting.  On the other hand, no one likes to get sick, and as we age, sometimes what we could easily shrug off in our youth becomes more problematic.  Also, even if we are relatively healthy, we may be traveling with others who are not so much, and  contracting minor illnesses can throw them for a loop. 

So I think that we should all do whatever we (reasonably) can to minimize our chances of contracting anything and spreading anything.

If all of the attention directed at this current crisis motivates everyone to be more vigilant in personal hygiene, that would be a good thing.

Thank you - I agree!  BTW, when I spoke of taking our own pillowcases, we would not leave it on the bed for the steward(ess) to change.  I would remove it and send it in for washing when needed.

The more people are aware and take precautions, the better we will all be!

49 minutes ago, forgap said:

My husband and I both had childhoods where we were well exposed to dirt, grime, and germs.  Hence we both rarely get sick as our immune system seems to be doing its job.

Not meaning to hijack this, but you brought up an interesting point and is a peve of mine (not what you said in particular, just the topic of health in general).

My older brother and I had virtually identical childhoods, spent many years on a acreages (woods, animals, you name it), lots of time in the forest, around swamps and ponds,, bitten by bugs all the time, put things in our mouth we probably shouldn't have, certainly eaten things we probably shouldn't have and yet rarely took ill, and to this day in my mid 40s I still don't. But be darned if my brother didn't come within a breath of dying from a gosh darn flu a couple years ago in his late 40s. He was right on the cusp, last rites were read and everything. Healthy immune system is only so good as the one virus that's particularly successful against your otherwise amazing defenses and you just can't quite fight it off and it beats the ever-loving heck out of your immune system.

My neighbor 10 years ago was working in his yard. Got a small cut, dumped some water on it, kept working. Fast forward a week and he's on life support because of flesh eating bacteria. Probably, but we'll never know for sure, because he didn't properly clean the wound because he was tough.

Basic personal hygiene is important, as is everyone's responsibility in society to do their part. Basic cleanliness, sanitary behaviors, *get your vaccinations for communicable diseases not just for your sake, but for those that can't*, and the like will probably do more to stop the spread of disease then bringing your own pillow cases and holding your breath walking past groups of people.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing that story.  The bottom line is that each and every one of us has to take responsibility for following basic sanitary and cleanliness procedures (as you mentioned).  

Some people are simply too lazy.  Just returned from a nail appointment with a woman from Vietnam.  She would not visit there now under any circumstances.  We discussed how the coronavirus is targeting mostly elderly adults while the flu targets children as well as adults.  I asked her if her children received the flu vaccine this year.  Her answer was "we do it sometimes but not this year -- I was too lazy".  I didn't say anything but I feel that it is reckless for people not to take advantage of the vaccine that is easily available when the lives of your children could be at risk.  There are many of us what wish there was a vaccine for the coronavirus.  I have little doubt that those of us that travel would stand in line to be inoculated.  

It wouldn't be a bad idea to remind passengers to the risks they are putting themselves in (as well as other people) if they do not cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing, if they do not wash their hands after using the restroom, etc.  If I see anyone touching food on the buffet, I will immediately report it to a crew member so that the food will be removed.  

While for years people thought that I was part of the "dress code police" (which was never true), I will be happy to be part of the anti-coronavirus police.  Again, we need to take responsibility for ourselves and others in this light of this worldwide epidemic.

• Like 2

It's only right to act responsible, everyone should be concerned and do the proper thing.  I think TC2 has 

some good ideas above---I can't stand it when I see people eating as they walk the buffet and think nothing about it.  We've all seen it happen to some degree, and most people don't say anything.  I really saw one lady put her finger in the salad dressings before see  picked the one she wanted.  (yes I stop everyone from using any dressing until it was changed--and I pointed out the lady so they could talk to her).  Another thing we do always: take Clorox wipes and wipe down in the plane the tray tables, control  remotes, etc.  Hotels door nobs, phone, TV remote, etc.  In the suite, wine down phones, remotes, handles, and the bathroom area.  Better safe than sorry, but don't go over board or you'll be cleaning everything. 

On 2/17/2020 at 11:47 AM, Floridiana said:

Better have a tissue ready, but your sleeve is better than my face. Next time a table mate sneezes all over the  table, I will get up and leave. I have had passengers cough at me in a narrow hallway. Next time, I will say something.

The tables on Regent are something I have a problem with. At the Coffee Connection, the table is not wiped between customers. I complained about this onboard, and nothing was done about it. I made a show of wiping the table with a Clorox wipe each time I arrived, and still nothing was done. We were onboard for 32 nights . At the restaurants, most of the time, the table cloth is not changed between seatings. We had people with pneumonia onboard (confirmed by those they sat with), who coughed excessively on the table cloth while eating. We saw some of the waiters change the table cloth between seatings, but others did not. We complemented  the waiters that did, but we started purposely leaving food stains on the table cloth to make sure they were always changed.

I agree with everything that Floridiana said about what I will do going forward. I have tried to be discrete, but next time, I will say something to the passenger.

8 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

The tables on Regent are something I have a problem with. At the Coffee Connection, the table is not wiped between customers. I complained about this onboard, and nothing was done about it. I made a show of wiping the table with a Clorox wipe each time I arrived, and still nothing was done. We were onboard for 32 nights . At the restaurants, most of the time, the table cloth is not changed between seatings. We had people with pneumonia onboard (confirmed by those they sat with), who coughed excessively on the table cloth while eating. We saw some of the waiters change the table cloth between seatings, but others did not. We complemented  the waiters that did, but we started purposely leaving food stains on the table cloth to make sure they were always changed.

I agree with everything that Floridiana said about what I will do going forward. I have tried to be discrete, but next time, I will say something to the passenger.

Hope that you continue to wipe the tables.  While Regent is wrong, you are demonstrating the right thing to do!

This will likely go on for months so I'm going to really take a much-needed break.   There are plenty of you to keep everyone up to date on the daily happenings with the coronavirus.  Just hoping that everyone stays safe and healthy!

Will try to report from Splendor next month.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Thinking about the table cleaning, like most restaurant that don't use table cloths---not sure I'd trust how clean those towels are that they keep in their apron.  When you keep using the same towel over and over and over...I don't know.

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you - I agree!  BTW, when I spoke of taking our own pillowcases, we would not leave it on the bed for the steward(ess) to change.  I would remove it and send it in for washing when needed.

The more people are aware and take precautions, the better we will all be!

Why just the pillow cases? How about the sheets too?

• Haha 1

Re. that....I use Lysol spray,,don t inhale any more than when using around house. Let pillows dry completely before. 

Do that at home between washing...also put my pillows in dryer for 15 min.to kill bugs and refresh.

Yes, can also use the hand wipes that kill bacteria.Just so you re not touching the stuff directly. Started this to prevent norovirus that was going around a ship I was on many yrs.ago.Admit I don t always do it at home ,rest,etc. 

Just wash hands a LOT.We both did that at work for many yrs.and sort of second nature to us.Also, I do it when I first get in cabin,,,then not as much after.

I can see why they had such a spread on ship,,,doubt using hospital rules.

9 hours ago, alexandra cruiser said:

Re. that....I use Lysol spray,,don t inhale any more than when using around house. Let pillows dry completely before. 

Do that at home between washing...also put my pillows in dryer for 15 min.to kill bugs and refresh.

Yes, can also use the hand wipes that kill bacteria.Just so you re not touching the stuff directly. Started this to prevent norovirus that was going around a ship I was on many yrs.ago.Admit I don t always do it at home ,rest,etc. 

Just wash hands a LOT.We both did that at work for many yrs.and sort of second nature to us.Also, I do it when I first get in cabin,,,then not as much after.

I can see why they had such a spread on ship,,,doubt using hospital rules.

Just been advised by Regent that Manila - Bangkok March 1 has been cancelled with full refund. Other compensation not finalised as yet

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

In an abundance of caution and as a result of the uncertainty surrounding port entry and berthing availability in various destinations in Asia, we are canceling your upcoming voyage previously scheduled to depart March 1, 2020.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises will provide a full refund of your paid fare in addition to the previously communicated 25% Future Cruise Credit. Please advise our Reservations team or your Travel Advisor that there is a credit in your name when you reserve your next Regent voyage.

In order to ensure you have received this important communication and to begin processing your refund, kindly email Regent Seven Seas Cruises at RSSCresv@rssc.com with your booking number and the subject line “Message Received”.

We are closely monitoring the coronavirus situation in China and continue to update appropriate actions as necessary. Cruise ships in the region are subject to the scrutiny of local port officials who have sporadically closed ports to cruise ships or to guests of certain nationalities. The decision to cancel this voyage, while difficult, was made to ensure the safety, security and well-being of all our guests and crew, which is our number one priority.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we manage through this evolving situation. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of canceling your voyage, and we hope to welcome you on board another Regent Seven Seas Cruises voyage in the near future.

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

We just canceled our March 1 cruise last week after Regent assured us that the best deal they’d be offering our cruise sailing was a 100% fcc and insisted they would not cancel the cruise or offer anything beyond this credit. Worried I’m stuck with a credit now instead of a refund! 

Hoping someone can post here if they have received confirmation that they will get a refund plus 25% fcc even after they’d already agreed to a 100%fcc if they canceled prior to today’s announcement. 

We were so happy to hear that Regent is pulling the Voyager out of Asia.  While we do not know where she is going next, I am confident that Regent will study the situation and make a decision that is right for everyone.

SSRtown -- Agree that you should receive what others are receiving for the cancelled cruise (although I honestly feel that a 100% FCC was really good and they did not need to do what they are doing).  Leave it to Regent to go above and beyond,  Another reason why we love them.

Onboard the Mariner on the 2020 World Cruise, currently en route to Auckland, NZ --

We just received notice of major changes to our current World Cruise itinerary.  We're skipping all Asia ports (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand) and missing the eastern Australia ports.  Instead, we'll be heading south and west around Australia.  Some of the new Australia ports are "pending confirmation," so the new schedule is still subject to change.  

The changes start after Sydney, Australia (Mar 1-2).  I'm assuming that Regent is notifying all guests scheduled to embark/disembark in Singapore.  

I view every cruise as a grand adventure -- this one maybe a bit more adventure than normal.  Although I was looking forward to some of the lost ports, I'm OK with the decision to skip them, and especially interested in some of the new ports.  But I feel badly for the crew members who will miss seeing their families in Indonesia and Malaysia.  

Lana (from Bellingham, WA -- enjoying the heck out of the world cruise so far ... )

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, slidebite said:

That's like the magical mystery tour. Keep us informed where you are going! Mariner has a special place with me as my favorite ship.

Good luck!

Will do -- So far, we've had to skip American Samoa and Samoa, but picked up Suva, Fiji as an addition to the itinerary -- we left there yesterday evening.  I'm having a ball -- I really love everything about the Mariner.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:34 PM, rallydave said:

Completely agree Wendy.  Starting with pillow cases, might as well bring all of your own bedding and wash/change the bedding yourself and tell the stewardess to not touch the bed.

At some point all this cleaning, changing bedding, etc. becomes useless.  Simply take care of yourselves and more than likely all will be well.

I travel whenever possible with my own pillow.  Not for health reasons but for comfort.  And shall this time too.  Not sure how I am going to get the pillowcase washed though - I need to figure that one out.  

Lana - you have a great attitude.    Are you going to skip Singapore too?  Or perhaps that wasn't on the itinerary?   Sorry that you will miss the eastern Oz ports aside from Sydney.  This means you won't get to the Reef I think?   Still Perth is an amazing city and I am sure you will go to Rottnest Island which is a lot of fun.

Keep posting so we know what is going on.   And have a wonderful cruise in spite of everything.

15 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Lana - you have a great attitude.    Are you going to skip Singapore too?  Or perhaps that wasn't on the itinerary?   Sorry that you will miss the eastern Oz ports aside from Sydney.  This means you won't get to the Reef I think?   Still Perth is an amazing city and I am sure you will go to Rottnest Island which is a lot of fun.

Keep posting so we know what is going on.   And have a wonderful cruise in spite of everything.

Thanks -- I figure I'm onboard a beautiful ship, I get all the food I want whenever I want it, all varieties of libations, housekeeping service twice a day, and interesting things to do (or not) during the day, so I have nothing to complain about.  I've booked the 2022 World Cruise, so I'll be able to see a lot of Asia then, including a lot of the ports we'll be missing in the coming weeks.

Yes, we're skipping Singapore originally scheduled for Mar 18-19 (an overnight there plus it was the site of one of the 3 "major events" for those of us doing the entire world cruise) which complicates things for quite a few people -- it's the end of a segment and the beginning of another segment, and i know several folks who were supposed to be disembarking or embarking there.  A lot of the Australian ports hadn't been confirmed at the time Captain Palm made the announcement and they distributed the letter listing the new ports this afternoon.  One I'm particularly interested in is Burnie, Tasmania -- the first port after we leave Sydney.

Anyway, I'll try to report any new developments are they arise.  No one could have anticipated this when the Mariner started this trip in Miami over a month ago or even when I and a bunch of others boarded in San Francisco on Jan 24.  I feel Regent is taking every precaution they can both to protect us as guests and to accommodate the concerns of the ports we were scheduled to visit.  If it is determined that skipping a port is in everyone's best interests, so be it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Lana, I would like to second the sentiments of Hambagahle.  You have a fantastic attitude about the ups and downs of cruise traveling.  We are booked on the 2021 World Cruise.  I hope that the coronavirus epidemic is over by then.  If not, I will try to emulate your positivity and go where the Mariner takes us.  Did they need to cancel the Ayer's Rock overland trip?  If so, are they adding any new overlands in its place?  Stay safe and keep up informed of any changes.  By the way, I love reading your blog.

Norma and Mitch