What is being done about coronavirus.....

Travelcat2

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent likely does not have enough personnel to cancel cruises, rebook cruises, cancel and rebook excursions and cancel and rebook flights as well as updating their website.  

9 hours ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

However, I do disagree with your comment on website - this is not a major job, to put an update (from a technical perspective) and RSSC are in business where website is their "face".

Regent seem to have enough personnel to keep their website totally up-to-date with information on the Splendor, including its recent christening.

2083747856_RegentUK_25_02_2020.jpg.0106646fac47db973e7ff42031097bb9.jpg

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is easy to bash Regent for everything

No one is "bashing" Regent; simply encouraging them to think about their communications, which is the best thing they can do to reassure guests and thereby be ahead of the competition when recovery of the cruise sector eventually comes.

On a positive note, I see that the Voyager cancelled Asian cruises are finally starting to disappear from the Regent website this morning.

Sorry to report, I have just cancelled my June cruise to Baltic region.

Last nites news about stock market losses,and spread of virus to Europe sealed the deal.

Still in no penalty to cancel,,so will not lose money.My DH said ,,he s NOT GOING...so that s it.

Just changed my flight for next cruise in Oct...on different cruiseline ..Had to pay change fee of $450 per person and then charge increase. With United and so lucky they went to new cities.

Will plan on doing this cruise next yr.Sad, but dealing with it.Had to remember to also cancel hotels for pre and post too.

• Like 1

I contracted the mumps as an adult about 10 years ago.  It was exactly that - stayed home for 12 days and food was left at my door.   What was nice for me?  In my own home with access to my own doctors and hospital, if need be.  What was nice for my neighbors?  If they contracted something from me, they were also able to be in their own home, with access to their own doctors and any other medical care needed.  What was nice for the Board of Health?  They knew exactly where I was and it was easier tracking my contacts.

I don't doubt most people would prefer to deal with a disease while near home.  Also, I do believe we've tipped toward the pandemic stage so I think people should plan their nonessential travel based on that.  

BTW, the MSC Meraviglia has been denied access to Jamaica - due to someone on the ship having what they currently believe if flu A (see their boards).  Can't blame Jamaica

I do admit that were I going to hop on a cruise at this point, I would not expect my government to get me back home if illness broke out, nor would I expect to any port to admit the ship.  It would be on me since I'd be fully aware of the risks involved at this time.

Edited by greykitty
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Not sure what we should do as we are on the 24 night Explorer Miami to Barcelona and then b2b on April 3rd.

At this point the loss would be 100% so will just wait it out for now.

A woman in Barcelona has tested positive 

https://www.thelocal.es/20200225/woman-in-barcelona-tests-positive-to-coronavirus-the-first-confirmed-case-in-mainland-spain?fbclid=IwAR1dtb5XIHUEEZFky3hupcHVqVSFOzmphUVHs4Sck8bUHk0tZjTyDywUOnE

Oh boy that's interesting and not great news. We are also on April 3 Miami to Barcelona and will not cancel a thing at this stage. Will wait for the cruise lines to make the first move. 

If Barcelona starts to flare up the cruise lines will be in a very, very awkward position as Barcelona is such a busy port, especially for beginning/ending Med cruises.

I would love to be a bug on the wall in some of the corporate headquarters now. Between itinerary changes, staffing problems, I can't even imagine the "fun" they must be having.

Edited by slidebite

14 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Was aware of this. But there are now people almost everywhere who have tested positive and am quite sure there are people who are positive who haven’t been tested. 

Maybe Regent won’t go to Europe and change their itinerary in the virus is not controlled in a Europe. Asking people if they have been to China etc is now a moot point.

42 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Was aware of this. But there are now people almost everywhere who have tested positive and am quite sure there are people who are positive who haven’t been tested. 

Maybe Regent won’t go to Europe and change their itinerary in the virus is not controlled in a Europe. Asking people if they have been to China etc is now a moot point.

I can see no reason not to take this cruise.  To put things into perspective, where you live (Toronto) is also affected by the coronavirus (I believe one confirmed case and one presumptive case.)  They are now handing out masks at the airport.  There is one case in in Barcelona - a city with a population of 1.62M (as of 2018).  Toronto has 2.73M people (as of 2016).  While I'm not saying that 1 or 2 cases per city cannot go up, I would not be overly concerned at this point.

Many CC'ers will be be spending the night in San Diego, CA on March 13th.  San Diego County has a population of 1.41M (as of 2016) and 2 cases of coronavirus.  Everyone on CC that has posted is going on the cruise.  No one is overly concerned about the virus (but will take precautions).

Think that we should all take a deep breath and leave it to Regent.  It makes no sense to cancel now (unless you are outside of the penalty phase and are really frightened).  Regent has proven that it will do the right thing so we need to relax - just a bit.  

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I can see no reason not to take this cruise.  To put things into perspective, where you live (Toronto) is also affected by the coronavirus (I believe one confirmed case and one presumptive case.)  They are now handing out masks at the airport.  There is one case in in Barcelona - a city with a population of 1.62M (as of 2018).  Toronto has 2.73M people (as of 2016).  While I'm not saying that 1 or 2 cases per city cannot go up, I would not be overly concerned at this point.

Many CC'ers will be be spending the night in San Diego, CA on March 13th.  San Diego County has a population of 1.41M (as of 2016) and 2 cases of coronavirus.  Everyone on CC that has posted is going on the cruise.  No one is overly concerned about the virus (but will take precautions).

Think that we should all take a deep breath and leave it to Regent.  It makes no sense to cancel now (unless you are outside of the penalty phase and are really frightened).  Regent has proven that it will do the right thing so we need to relax - just a bit.  

We are totally relaxed. If this thing spreads we will cancel if not will go on the cruise. the danger is if someone brings it on-board and the ventilation systems move it around. 

At the worst if we don’t go the loss will be monetary and easily quantifiable!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Emdee said:

We are totally relaxed. If this thing spreads we will cancel if not will go on the cruise. the danger is if someone brings it on-board and the ventilation systems move it around. 

At the worst if we don’t go the loss will be monetary and easily quantifiable!

Good to hear!  Having people board any ship right now - in any area of the world has risks.  Our concerns are actually more about airlines than cruise ships.  They do not thoroughly clean areas around the seats after each flight and I don't want to think about the bathrooms.  I'll just make sure that I have use a sanitizing wipe to open the door (might use a glove since I just read that people stuff diapers in the trash bin in bathroom ........yuck!)

Be safe and enjoy your cruise.

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I can see no reason not to take this cruise.  

TC2, I agree with you insofar going to ports.

However (and apologies - I am no medical scientist), what worries me that on DP so many people got the virus, and some of them seem to be later on. It would appear that there was something contaminated  on the ship itself - water? air? Flu and other viruses on ships (an plains) are always high risk of spreading.

Each has their own threshold of risk. Some people take more risk than others. In this particular case there will be quite a few people (not only with RSSC but cruises in general) who are considering cancelling. Or feel lucky that their cruise was cancelled. Oh, and people have different level or understanding (based on education and/or experience) of this matter too.

we personally are totally relying on RSSC to do the right thing. I understand they want "issues" mo more than any of us do! It just would be nice to have some regular updates.

1 minute ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

TC2, I agree with you insofar going to ports.

However (and apologies - I am no medical scientist), what worries me that on DP so many people got the virus, and some of them seem to be later on. It would appear that there was something contaminated  on the ship itself - water? air? Flu and other viruses on ships (an plains) are always high risk of spreading.

Each has their own threshold of risk. Some people take more risk than others. In this particular case there will be quite a few people (not only with RSSC but cruises in general) who are considering cancelling. Or feel lucky that their cruise was cancelled. Oh, and people have different level or understanding (based on education and/or experience) of this matter too.

we personally are totally relying on RSSC to do the right thing. I understand they want "issues" mo more than any of us do! It just would be nice to have some regular updates.

And I agree with almost everything that you say.  My "rant" was not about you but for posters that seem to be almost in a panic mode.  

As I mentioned earlier, I feel that Princess did everything wrong (but they had not experienced this type of situation before).  I'm sure that all cruise lines learned a lot from what went on there and, if a case should appear on another cruise line, it will likely be handled completely different.  Based on what I am hearing (and I am not a doctor or scientist), affected passengers should have been removed from the ship and put into "proper" quarantine as soon as the first case was discovered.  

• Like 1

Regent is going to park a ship; I just hope it is not the one I plan on being on.  I will continue to travel as long as I am able come hell or high water.  After 9/11 we really started traveling as we realized life is too short.

Marc

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Regent is going to park a ship; I just hope it is not the one I plan on being on.  I will continue to travel as long as I am able come hell or high water.  After 9/11 we really started traveling as we realized life is too short.

Marc

Did you read this somewhere...or just a guess?

We also are hoping it is not our ship...but they also might move a different ship to the same route????

27 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

They are parking a ship?

Marc, I remember when your job finally, finally allowed you some travel time, and then retirement!  9/11 put a momentary crimp in our traveling but when we got married we agreed trips instead of holiday gifts.  I haven't done a lot since my Mark passed away, but I just made final payment on a June cruise in Alaska for the family; I hope it's the first of many.

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'll just make sure that I have use a sanitizing wipe to open the door (might use a glove since I just read that people stuff diapers in the trash bin in bathroom ........yuck!)

sorry, not sure I understand - are you concerned that your hand will accidentally touch something in the bin?

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Marc - total off-top, but really liked your signature  "Silversea - never again" 🙂 

Edited by Kiwifromkiev

2 hours ago, Kiwifromkiev said:

sorry, not sure I understand - are you concerned that your hand will accidentally touch something in the bin?

I have always thought about the door handles, etc. in an airplane bathroom.  But when I read about diapers being put into the bin I realized that this requires “stuffing” it in the rather small opening (small compared to a wet or “loaded” diaper).  The bathroom no longer seems sanitary to me.  I’m not too worried about our short (almost 3 hour flight) from Vancouver, British Columbia to San Diego, California but the flight back from Miami is quite a bit longer.  

The solution may be as simple as having a small can of Lysol to spray the areas. Here I am suggesting that people relax and not worry and I’m obsessing about diapers on airplane restrooms.  Go figure.

P.S. Silversea is our second favorite cruise line (we prefer it to Crystal).  Only mentioned this because of your comment.  I don’t want to go off topic but am curious if you had a bad experience on Silversea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Good to hear!  Having people board any ship right now - in any area of the world has risks.  Our concerns are actually more about airlines than cruise ships.  They do not thoroughly clean areas around the seats after each flight and I don't want to think about the bathrooms.  I'll just make sure that I have use a sanitizing wipe to open the door (might use a glove since I just read that people stuff diapers in the trash bin in bathroom ........yuck!)

Be safe and enjoy your cruise.

What would be your preferred sanitary wipe?

28 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Here I am suggesting that people relax and not worry and I’m obsessing about diapers on airplane restrooms.  Go figure.

I think that precautions are always good. Coronovirus or not - there are a lot of other nasties out there! My DH is a health professional and we always take wipes on flights, as we have read/seen statistics of how yewww-dirty airplanes are (although seemingly clean). One of the things, which is often forgotten/ overlooked by travelers are pockets in seats as many people stuff all sorts of rubbish in them. Rubbish is removed but not the germs. 

I have not seen anything on rubbish bins in restrooms. this makes a lot os sense, so thank you for sharing! 

28 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Silversea is our second favorite cruise line (we prefer it to Crystal).  Only mentioned this because of your comment.  I don’t want to go off topic but am curious if you had a bad experience on Silversea.

Oh, no - I just thought it was a funny (in a way) and very categorical statement to put in one's signature 🙂 this thread's topic is somewhat grim, so a little lightheartedness will not go amiss 🙂