Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jacobs Ema

Haven Butler question.

Recommended Posts

I know this question has probably been asked and answered, but I have been looking for an hour and can’t find it. Last time we cruised on NCL, we thoroughly enjoyed the Butler service. Breakfast in our suite was especially nice. My question is...if I ask for breakfast at 7:30 and we somehow still haven’t managed to be up and fully functional ( we usually are), can the Butler bring in and set up breakfast without knocking and having one of us open the door? Silly question I know...but there it is.  499 days and counting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jacobs Ema said:

I know this question has probably been asked and answered, but I have been looking for an hour and can’t find it. Last time we cruised on NCL, we thoroughly enjoyed the Butler service. Breakfast in our suite was especially nice. My question is...if I ask for breakfast at 7:30 and we somehow still haven’t managed to be up and fully functional ( we usually are), can the Butler bring in and set up breakfast without knocking and having one of us open the door? Silly question I know...but there it is.  499 days and counting

I dont know the question here and am only speculating.  I know that the "evening butler" can come in and just drop off food -- because we used to order it at like 8PM and ask for a few sandwiches in the room as a midnight snack.

 

So that makes me think they have access, then I would just talk to your butler (the night one is a different person I don't know if I really met) and explain.. I bet he'd be willing to work it out assuming you were in a room large enough he could come in and do his business without too much interruption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our experience has been the butler has always called about 10 minutes before delivering breakfast. So you could either use that call as your wake up call to be "fully functional " or just tell the butler to let themself  in and leave the food on the dining room table if you aren't up yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This can be done if you set it up with him in advance. Tell him what time you want breakfast, and tell him not to call first. As long as you have given permission, he will do this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of room are you in?  A lot of the suites the table is right by the bed so I'm not sure how this wouldn't wake you up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dexddd said:

What type of room are you in?  A lot of the suites the table is right by the bed so I'm not sure how this wouldn't wake you up.

We are in an H3, DOS

  Hubby and son could sleep through the apocalypse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have or will be presented with the business card of the Butler.

Use the phone number provided to communicate your wishes if

you have not already done so in person.

As noted the Butler usually alerts you with a phone call before service.

Get yourself decent and stand out of the way and let breakfast happen !

It ain't all the complicated !

Unless you have ordered a champagne breakfast - the service prep

will be as quiet as a church house mouse !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have my doubts if the Butler  will enter your room unannounced, but the previous poster could be correct about making your wishes known in advance.  In our experiences, the Butler is usually right outside of our room when he/she  calls us to let us know they has our delivery ready!  Have jumped out of bed, put a bathrobe on, and may times hubby just puts the blanket  over his head (pretending he is not in bed, lol) .  Butler in and out pretty fast, they are use to this , give him/her our tip and off they go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

We are in an H3, DOS

  Hubby and son could sleep through the apocalypse.

Ahh, which ship?  With a DOS most have bedroom separate from dining area .  The Escape and newer DOS even have second bedroom so a butler could easily come in and setup without disturbing anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The butler usually rings the bell before entering.  You may be in the minority but so many people would freak out if someone just opened the door to their cabin without knocking.  I am sure if you address this with the butler personally, they will do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

The butler usually rings the bell before entering.  You may be in the minority but so many people would freak out if someone just opened the door to their cabin without knocking.  I am sure if you address this with the butler personally, they will do it.  

 

 rings the bell

 

Strange "rings the bell" -

On some ships there is a DOOR BELL button outside

the door to the suite.

The suites for the most part are large enough that one

could be in a far corner and not hear the usual knock.

Thus the DOOR BELL is a nice feature.

 

The Cabin Steward usually knocks and announce himself

"housekeeping' before entering.

 

Communication and no surprises is the game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not unheard of in the haven suites that have separate bedrooms for the butler to do exactly what the OP is asking.  And, no, they should not "just get decent and let the butler in" if that is not something they want to do.  Just tell the butler when you meet them that on days you order breakfast,  you do not want to be disturbed with a phone call or doorbell and want the butler to just let themselves in with breakfast.  This is exactly something within expectations of a butler....discrete high level service.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stayed in the Heaven several times and it took me a couple of trips to figure out That i didn't have to wake up and call my butler (and wait for him to bring me my pots of coffee) or have the butler wake me up to enter the room.  We drink french press and don't really care for in suite machines.  I Just advise the butler that i would like him to enter my room with requested items at a certain time without knocking and there is absolutely no problem  Have had this done on several trips 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely, as others have said, your butler can and will definitely enter without knocking and set up your coffee and/or breakfast if you request.  I always ask my butler to wake me up on his way out! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

 

 rings the bell

 

Strange "rings the bell" -

On some ships there is a DOOR BELL button outside

the door to the suite.

The suites for the most part are large enough that one

could be in a far corner and not hear the usual knock.

Thus the DOOR BELL is a nice feature.

 

The Cabin Steward usually knocks and announce himself

"housekeeping' before entering.

 

Communication and no surprises is the game.

 

 

Where are you from?  Ringing a door bell is common American English language.  "I rang the doorbell"  "He rang the door bell"

"The butler will ring the (door)bell"   In the United States you will see signs at businesses for the UPS or Fed Ex "Ring the bell"
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Where are you from?  Ringing a door bell is common American English language.  "I rang the doorbell"  "He rang the door bell"

"The butler will ring the (door)bell"   In the United States you will see signs at businesses for the UPS or Fed Ex "Ring the bell"

Right - isn't "ring the bell" a common phrase?  I'm from NJ and I don't think I ever actually say "Ring the DOOR bell."  We just say "ring the bell!!"

 

PS That said, we also drink "cawfee" and shop at the "maul", so there's that. 😂

Edited by pcakes122

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

? ? ?

 

Where are you from ? - certainly not from your neck of the woods and I did not

expect to have my chimes (bells) rung about local American English language usage !

 

Post misunderstood ? - misapplication ? - ?

 

Someone reading into the post more than what was intended ?

 

It was about the "DOOR BELL" button next to the suite door alerting the occupant of company at the door !

 

On some of the ships it is not so much a BELL but a pleasant soft xylophone tone.

 

First time being in a suite - what is that noise ? - and then you find out about the welcoming surprise !

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

? ? ?

 

Where are you from ? - certainly not from your neck of the woods and I did not

expect to have my chimes (bells) rung about local American English language usage !

 

Post misunderstood ? - misapplication ? - ?

 

Someone reading into the post more than what was intended ?

 

It was about the "DOOR BELL" button next to the suite door alerting the occupant of company at the door !

 

On some of the ships it is not so much a BELL but a pleasant soft xylophone tone.

 

First time being in a suite - what is that noise ? - and then you find out about the welcoming surprise !

 

 

 

 

I think that's what we are saying.  In my "neck of the woods", we call a "doorbell" a "bell".  If someone "rings the bell" at my home, I hear a pleasant chime (not a bell sound.)  But I still call it a bell.  

 

Not a big deal - just another interesting example of regional language/slang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the responses. I found them quite helpful, and I’m glad to see I am not the only one who would do this. To those that think I should just “get up and be functional “...In my defense, I usually am up before everyone else, and ready to go bright and early. But, I will be on a vacation and celebration of a milestone in the family that we saved for several years for. We are going all out and If, at my age, I want to hang out in bed a little longer and get up to a table full of deliciousness then I will.  I’ve got a bit of a wait, but I am definitely counting the days!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...