Caronavirus - effect on A/NZ cruise market

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Not trying to downplay the seriousness of this situation but there have been about  8000 cases of corona reported and around 170 deaths ( influenza deaths per year, I believe, are in the thousands )  so about 2 % of those who contract the corona virus die.  I have not read or heard anywhere how the other 7830 cases are doing. Have they recovered or how long are they ill  for. True we should be cautious but is it really as “ serious” as they say. I would really like to know. As I said, not denigrating the situation, just curious.

I view it similarly. I haven't heard "they" say it's serious, just that it's being investigated and controlled appropriately.

Just now, cruisine21 said:

I’ve heard that Allianz and Covermore don’t cover Coronavirus so even if the cruise lines give refunds you are still out of pocket from flights and accommodation.

There would have to be a specific condition causing that - what is the wording that disallows it?

On 1/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, gbenjo said:

We are due to fly to China on the 1st May. I rang Trip a Deal yesterday and they have suspended  trips until 20th Feb and will reassess then and my travel insurance provider were a little hesitant in their response just saying if our trip is cancelled to submit a claim and see what happens. At least we are not going till May so perhaps it will settle down a bit by then (wishful thinking  maybe). Might  just have to book a cheap cruise to the islands instead and with all those extra ships here there will be some good deals around.

Flying to Sydney from Canada on Saturday.   Concerned, not too concerned.   Hoping for the best.    TA has been updating me an no issues to date.   Cruising Feb. 5 to Auckland ; Seabourn.

54 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

I’ve heard that Allianz and Covermore don’t cover Coronavirus so even if the cruise lines give refunds you are still out of pocket from flights and accommodation.

That statement is a little broad for my liking.  Have you heard that they won't cover people who have contracted Coronavirus (which may include a common cold)?  Or have you heard that they are rejecting travel cancellations for those who were planning travel to China?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, banzaii said:

That statement is a little broad for my liking.  Have you heard that they won't cover people who have contracted Coronavirus (which may include a common cold)?  Or have you heard that they are rejecting travel cancellations for those who were planning travel to China?

It is a bit vague for sure,

I suggest people check with their own Insurance company if they have issues or concerns about how it may be treated for their situation. As we all know, not all insurance companies are the same and not all policies will cover everything, best people check what is covered and what is not.

44 minutes ago, cruising46 said:

Flying to Sydney from Canada on Saturday.   Concerned, not too concerned.   Hoping for the best.    TA has been updating me an no issues to date.   Cruising Feb. 5 to Auckland ; Seabourn.

No problems at all flying Canada to Sydney......unless your plane is full of Chinese who just flew from China to Canada before coming to Sydney 😁😁

Just had a look at the InsureandGo website - reads very vague to me (terms like " you may be covered " and " You may not be covered "

https://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-alerts/coronavirus-outbreak-hubei-province-china.jsp

One clear point though seems to be this:

"If your travel plans are affected, contact your airline, cruise or travel operator to check if tourist services are affected or for cancellations. However please note if you choose to cancel your trip, there are no provisions to claim under your policy for change of mind or fear of travel, and this is not a claimable event for travels outside the Hubei Provice, China."

Reading about the Novel coronavirus outbreak on the Australian Smartraveller website, I noticed some recommendations for precautions that I have not read or heard elsewhere:

"During your trip

In order to minimise your risk of exposure, we recommend you:

Avoid all:
- high-risk areas such as farms, live animal markets, and areas where animals are slaughtered, including fish and seafood
- contact with animals (alive or dead), including pigs, chickens, ducks and wild birds
- surfaces with animal droppings or secretions on them

If you come into contact with any animals or animal products, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth until you have thoroughly sanitised your hands. ... "

etc. etc.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/novel-coronavirus-outbreak

Just saw this, not sure how accurate it is...

Costa Smeralda quarantining 7000 people trapped of the coast of Italy as a couple is tested for Coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7947003/6-000-trapped-cruise-ship-Italy-two-people-board-tested-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR28IqbkRg5i_xMEaRnLAj5F4hfuYORBRlzp3JhSOhIMJZLuoW7lbBrg26w

9 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Not trying to downplay the seriousness of this situation but there have been about  8000 cases of corona reported and around 170 deaths ( influenza deaths per year, I believe, are in the thousands )  so about 2 % of those who contract the corona virus die.  I have not read or heard anywhere how the other 7830 cases are doing. Have they recovered or how long are they ill  for. True we should be cautious but is it really as “ serious” as they say. I would really like to know. As I said, not denigrating the situation, just curious.

They say the seasonal flu kills between 290,000 and 650,000 people every year. In terms of a mortality rate the Novel Coronavirus is only 1% higher and it is believed that could be an overestimation since not everyone who died had a confirmation test for the virus and the reality is in situations like this autopsies will not be completed since they prefer to put resources into treating the sick. Unfortunately during epidemics all deaths are statistically put together without any regard to the actual cause of death. So in the end we never really have an accurate picture of how many people have died from the virus itself and not some other cause. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cybella1 said:

Costa Smeralda quarantining 7000 people trapped of the coast of Italy as a couple is tested for Coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7947003/6-000-trapped-cruise-ship-Italy-two-people-board-tested-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR28IqbkRg5i_xMEaRnLAj5F4hfuYORBRlzp3JhSOhIMJZLuoW7lbBrg26w

Saw this too - 🤔
Must be some very frustrated - and very concerned 6998 passengers on this ship today 😳

Italians can be loud when they are happy - imagine a ship with Lots of unhappy Europeans  ...........

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cybella1 said:

It is happening for this ship, doubt it will be the last.

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

World Health Organisation declares global emergency for the virus.

ABC News

So that makes it a Pandemic now.

At least there have been some great breakthroughs in creating a vaccine, they have managed to create a replica of the virus and that research has now been moved to a high security CSIRO for further work.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

World Health Organisation declares global emergency for the virus.

ABC News

About 2 weeks too late. Didn't want to offend Chinese authorities. If we have learnt anything about this situation is the Chinese authorities outright lied about the extend of the virus. So people were saying whatever the Chinese were saying was the number to x it by 100. 

8 hours ago, Cybella1 said:

There are Aussies on this huge ship.  Another case of the local Mayor stopping the cruise ship disembarking passengers. 

Channel 9 News

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Saw this too - 🤔
Must be some very frustrated - and very concerned 6998 passengers on this ship today 😳

Italians can be loud when they are happy - imagine a ship with Lots of unhappy Europeans  ...........

Turned out to be a false alarm. 

I have questions though - if you get stuck on a cruise ship because of  a quarantine do you have to pay the extra day's gratuities? What is the dress code for those evenings? Are there discounts? 

*joking* - but seriously I can think of worse places to be quarantined 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is happening for this ship, doubt it will be the last.

All over Mic, couple of people had a cold.  Pax and Crew allowed to leave the vessel.  No further action.

35 minutes ago, lissie said:

Turned out to be a false alarm. 

I have questions though - if you get stuck on a cruise ship because of  a quarantine do you have to pay the extra day's gratuities? What is the dress code for those evenings? Are there discounts? 

Jacket and Tie for sure, ball gowns for ladies, grats to be paid and non negotiable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, lissie said:

Agree......providing they don’t run out of supplies or power .The major problem would be the attitude of your fellow passengers. Once the grumbles start they start to snowball and some can get quite vicious...... I was on a cruise once when some of the passengers were revolting. ...... Not pleasant.

• Like 1