HAL's Poor Response to Corona Virus

USN59-79

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

If the descriptions from social media are accurate, and that is always suspect, the conditions onboard are trying and could degrade.  I think there is enough there to get a lawsuit.  Outcome? who knows.  (I agree that there likely is a lot of hysteria and alarmism but this is about what is actually occurring regardless if it is right or wrong)

Are the trying, certainly.  Don't know of any mass quarantine that would not be.  Are the passengers not getting the services they are used to such as room cleaning, daily towel, etc. yes to that as well.  On the other hand they also need to realize that the purpose is first and foremost to protect the most people, including themselves.  It is up to the people in the cabin to keep their cabin clean and tidy. If they make a mess while eating or otherwise it will be up to them to clean it.

The liquid shampoo in the showers works very well as a laundry detergent in the sink.

Knowing the MHW I expect that necessities will be taken care of, wants not so much.

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

Our plane load of passengers coming back to Canada from China that have been ‘rescued’ will be quarantined at Trenton - an airforce (military base).  It sounds like they are well prepared for them and the people affected on the plane that have been interviewed are just grateful to get out and get home 😉 

Absolutely nothing wrong with that and I'm sure it's fine.  

It's just that some seem to think that they should/will be put up at the Four Seasons for their "quarantine"....

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, gilboman said:

lock down and quarantined in the rooms at request of local government (Japan) ..so sue the gov't of japan? they're not as sue happy as the US

there is no criminal activity here, a government with jurisdiction because the ship was in its port requested the lockdown and quarantine

Not request of the local government, direction of the local government.  Keep in mind that pretty much anything that takes place on the ship at this stage will be directed and approved by local officials.  Local meaning Japanese government agencies.

Edited by npcl

Just now, npcl said:

Are the trying, certainly.  Don't know of any mass quarantine that would not be.  Are the passengers not getting the services they are used to such as room cleaning, daily towel, etc. yes to that as well.  On the other hand they also need to realize that the purpose is first and foremost to protect the most people, including themselves.  It is up to the people in the cabin to keep their cabin clean and tidy. If they make a mess while eating or otherwise it will be up to them to clean it.

The liquid shampoo in the showers works very well as a laundry detergent in the sink.

Knowing the MHW I expect that necessities will be taken care of, wants not so much.

Yes but we are only into this quarantine a few days.  2 weeks is a long time, a very long time regardless of the conditions.  I am not questioning the quarantine on a legal level (I do question it but that is more about the mass hysteria), what I am questioning is what actions the cruise lines are taking to try to find safe harbor where people can disembark or letting people move about the ship.  2 weeks is a very long time..... Medicines run out, people get sick from other issues, tempers flare....  This in my mind is like a 2 week flight.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

Yes but we are only into this quarantine a few days.  2 weeks is a long time, a very long time regardless of the conditions.  I am not questioning the quarantine on a legal level (I do question it but that is more about the mass hysteria), what I am questioning is what actions the cruise lines are taking to try to find safe harbor where people can disembark or letting people move about the ship.  2 weeks is a very long time..... Medicines run out, people get sick from other issues, tempers flare....  This in my mind is like a 2 week flight.  

I expect that the HAL ship will end up in quarantine if the presence of the virus is confirmed. Do not think other countries with let them dock, if Japan says no, unless it is a country already under travel restriction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, npcl said:

I expect that the HAL ship will end up in quarantine if the presence of the virus is confirmed. Do not think other countries with let them dock, if Japan says no, unless it is a country already under travel restriction.

These folks would be better off at one of the land based "government retreats" where they can get exercise, fresh air, replenish medicines, diapers and food stocks. Reports I have read said these items are in short supply

Edited by Mary229

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Princess is filling all the prescriptions of guests for free according to Dave Abel.  There are no 100% safe harbour. like i mentioned in previous post, singapore, japan, USA, Canada, multiple European countries, taiwan etc all have confirmed cases and in many instances, more confirmed cases than hong kong at the time. 

i agree 2 weeks locked in a room is a very long time, but that's what the gov't with jurisdiction demands, so not much cruiseline can do about it 

Edited by gilboman

Just now, Mary229 said:

@gilboman  That is good to hear. Reports I read this morning were claiming otherwise.  Maybe that has been resolved or reports were inflated.

according to FB group of pax, Passengers with inside cabins are now allowed to walk on the deck for 1.5 hours under the supervision of the Quarantine officers. They must stay 1 metre apart from one another and not make contact or congregate in groups.

18 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

They did exactly do that...follow the lead of the health organizations.  I suppose it is up to the customer to decide whether they should have been a step ahead and a little more pro-active in the steps they took.

There are varying opinions here whether HAL's response was adequate, but I bet dollars to donuts that there will be some management shakeup over decisions that were made regarding Westerdam

I haven't piped in on this thread yet, but will take the opportunity to do so now.  When this thread first appeared about HAL not offering refunds, not canceling or offering an alternative cruise(which they were not at that time), and cancellation insurance not covering; I actually emailed Mr. Ashford.  That was on Jan 28.  I told him I was very disappointed in HAL's response and that I believed they would regret their decision because not only would they likely have many unhappy guests, they were likely to face denial of docking in Japan when the cruise terminated.  This was before the Princess ship fiasco even began.  Now I see that Westerdam is being denied entry to all Japan ports.  What a fiasco.  Those poor people, many of whom have saved for years to take this "bucket list" cruise.  I wonder where they will end up?  Anyway, I actually received a phone call the very evening I sent the email stating the guests welfare and safety were their top concern(haha), blah, blah.  The next day I received a follow up email from some service representative basically stating the same thing and they had increased sanitation and screening procedures.  I was actually surprised to receive any response and do appreciate that.  But obviously the guests' welfare was not their top concern.  Bad decisions were made it appears.  Now Westy doesn't even have a place to disembark those currently on board apparently.  Wonder how much fun they are having just sailing around with no ports to go to. More than those on the quarantined Princess ship at least.  I can't even fathom being cooped up in an inside cabin like that.  Another reason to book Veranda at least. 

Anyway, so sorry to see my premonition come to fruition.  Just hope we don't get to Italy in April, have someone get sick on TA portion and end up quarantined there.  Just don't know how far this is going at this time. 

Hope for the best and a quick resolution and a quick vaccine development.  But, as I told my DH if I have to go(i.e. die) there is no better place to do it than on a cruise ship and they can just bury me at sea.

Jane

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good for you Jabcruiser.  I just sent an email today.

I was supposed to be on the FEB 1 cruise.  I contacted HAL over 10X the week before the cruise.  The only thing I could do according to HAL was board the cruise or lose my money.  I lost my money, thousands of dollars.    I knew this would happen on this cruise.  All the information pointed to it. 

Well HAL will eventually have to pay out big bucks for docking in Hong Kong and continuing with this cruise. Much more than canceling the cruise and giving full refunds. 

It is a horrible business decision for them and a horrible health risk to all the guests and crew.  They were never concerned with the safety of the guests or crew, only concerned with $$$$$

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Level six said:

I was supposed to be on the FEB 1 cruise.  I contacted HAL over 10X the week before the cruise.  The only thing I could do according to HAL was board the cruise or lose my money.  I lost my money, thousands of dollars.    I knew this would happen on this cruise.  All the information pointed to it. 

Well HAL will eventually have to pay out big bucks for docking in Hong Kong and continuing with this cruise. Much more than canceling the cruise and giving full refunds. 

It is a horrible business decision for them and a horrible health risk to all the guests and crew.  They were never concerned with the safety of the guests or crew, only concerned with $$$$$

Looks like you made the right decision.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

So for inquisitive minds and maritime law aficionados  when does the quarantine end?  It was two weeks but now is it two weeks after the last person who tested positive?    It seems to me also that the quarantine is actually infecting people who might otherwise stayed healthy if they were not in an enclosed area. Maybe this is too far off topic 

1 hour ago, Level six said:

Why don't you have travel insurance with "cancel for ANY reason" coverage?!

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

So for inquisitive minds and maritime law aficionados  when does the quarantine end?  It was two weeks but now is it two weeks after the last person who tested positive?    It seems to me also that the quarantine is actually infecting people who might otherwise stayed healthy if they were not in an enclosed area. Maybe this is too far off topic 

Any person who wishes to avoid people on the ship  are  free to opt stwing in their cabin, choice woul d (likely ?)be up to each of the p ax.   Risk exposure or stay in their cabin.

3 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Any person who wishes to avoid people on the ship  are  free to opt stwing in their cabin, choice woul d (likely ?)be up to each of the p ax.   Risk exposure or stay in their cabin.

The air system, like on flights, is interconnected. 

6 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:
1 hour ago, Level six said:

Seems like a less than intelligent question asked in an insulting way.  For someone that has specific reasons for a policy like that- maybe a work schedule that may change- it can make a lot of sense. But a cancel for any reason policy costs more and returns 75% of trip payments vs 100% for regular insurance. 

• Like 8

Just now, ted144 said:

Seems like a less than intelligent question asked in an insulting way.  For someone that has specific reasons for a policy like that- maybe a work schedule that may change- it can make a lot of sense. But a cancel for any reason policy costs more and returns 75% of trip payments vs 100% for regular insurance. 

Thank you ted144. 

For the other poster. I have been on over 30 cruises and never had to cancel.  I am young and healthy.   I have insurance but it is not paying in this instance. 

Also,  before you make rude statements, maybe learn some empathy, it is a good thing.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

2 minutes ago, Level six said:

Thank you ted144. 

For the other poster. I have been on over 30 cruises and never had to cancel.  I am young and healthy.   I have insurance but it is not paying in this instance. 

Also,  before you make rude statements, maybe learn some empathy, it is a good thing.

Agree.  I see there is a "heart" like button.  Too bad alternative not offered.  Rudeness seems to be catching just like coronovirus and flu.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Given the statement, westerdam  has no where to  go that will. accept the ship, where would you suggest they go?   Port Everglades?  Will they let her in?   🤷‍♀️🙉

It will be interesting to see where they end up and when.  Australia?

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Given the statement, westerdam  has no where to  go that will. accept the ship, where would you suggest they go?   Port Everglades?  Will they let her in?   🤷‍♀️🙉

If its like the Princess ship, probably 50% or so are Japanese so maybe they can  disembark them there for Japanese quarantine centers, same thing with the % of the 800 people that got in Hong Kong that are Chinese citizens, take them back and let Hong Kong quarantine the % that are Chinese citizens. Pick up some food and Doctors and head out to sea or find another 1st world country to take them and quarantine them (Australia)? Its a real mess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Level six said:

so true. we never have had travel insurance. even if we had to "eat" the cost of this cruise, we would still have been ahead.

we received an email from HAL about 1 hour ago telling us our entire fare will be refunded. level 6, ask again. they might say "yes". if you don't want to deal with hal (and i don't blame you) ask a neighbor, a friend or someone who likes duking it out. good luck.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Viv0828 said:

so true. we never have had travel insurance. even if we had to "eat" the cost of this cruise, we would still have been ahead.

we received an email from HAL about 1 hour ago telling us our entire fare will be refunded. level 6, ask again. they might say "yes". if you don't want to deal with hal (and i don't blame you) ask a neighbor, a friend or someone who likes duking it out. good luck.

I am so happy that it worked out for you.  Now you can rest and not stress out.  

1 hour ago, ted144 said:

Again check the policy. I have used a company that will reimburse 100% of the non refundable expense

I   believe you are talking about the policies offered by some cruise line itself-not nearly as broad or ashigh limits  as the other companies out there. So who is the Homer here? Do your homework .. the cruise lines policies are usually verylow limits and offer less  as a % as policies you can find onlineAnd why nickel and dime over maybe a litlle more expensive policy(and not significant, a drop in the bucket) when you are forking over thousands of dollars(usually)mon a cruise? NowTHAT seems silly .. oh well  

Edited by wearesiamese