Coronavirus

Trend

22 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

We understand the uncertainty surrounding global travel and are vigilantly monitoring the situation.  Each morning and throughout the day our executive team reviews daily updates from the CDC, WHO, as well as local port authorities. Unfortunately, the situation continues to evolve and remains highly fluid.

We are communicating directly with impacted guests and travel advisors and frequently updating our travel advisory with the most up-to-date information. Please visit https://www.azamara.com/travel-advisory for the latest travel alerts and regulations.

To ensure our guests’ confidence and flexibility, we implemented a Cruise with Confidence policy and enhanced the CruiseCare travel insurance program to protect guests currently booked or looking to book future sailings. Protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority and we’ll ensure that any itinerary adjustments are handled stress-free.

For additional questions regarding an existing booking, please contact us via our call-center (1-855-AZAMARA) or contact your travel advisor. Guests looking to learn more about CruiseCare may contact our CruiseCare Help Line at 1-877-538-3816or 1-516-342-7262.

This information as information on the Azamara website is not new. No disrespect but saying something repeatedly is like saying nothing at all.

We all have booked and planned our trips months in advance and shouldn’t have to wait till the last moment to know where we are going or not.

If other cruise lines can forecast and cancel cruises 60 days out why is it taking so long for Azamara to make a decision on cruises 2 weeks from now?

Ron

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Princess and Viking suspending all cruises for 60 days. Azamara should be next. Princess is offering either refunds or enhanced future cruise credits. Are you listening Azamara?!

I totally agree with you asnaleah - we are already planning 2021 holidays and none of them include AZAMARA!!!

• Like 1

Time to STEP UP Azamara!!

Did you hear that the World Health Organization has now issued a PANDEMIC!!

What is a pandemic?

Declaring a pandemic has nothing to do with changes to the characteristics of a disease, but is instead associated with concerns over its geographic spread. According to the World Health Organization, a pandemic is declared when a new disease for which people do not have immunity spreads around the world beyond expectations.

Soooo.... Do you REALLY THINK that the March 28 to April 14 cruise from DUBAI to ATHENS is possible???

Do YOU Azamara want to be responsible for welcoming passengers aboard and risking the health of Passengers and Crew to go on a voyage.  THIS voyage is going through an area where the Itinerary countries have taken responsibility – PRIOR TO PANDEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT - to close their Ports to Disembarkation of foreigners. 

It would be wise to review Princess Cruises and Viking Cruise Line for guidance.

• Like 2

Royal Caribbean will not now allow over 70s unless they have a doctors letter saying they are OK to cruise. This will be in place for 30 days at the moment.  Presumably this will apply to Azamara (and Celebrity) as well, although it’s not included in Azamara’s Travel Advisory at present. https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/81/covid-19-health-screening-and-boarding-protocols/
In addition the UK govt has advised that over 70s don’t cruise, so if we do we will not be covered by our travel insurance.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Well Azamara you are excelling yourself. Singapore port of embarkation closed, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and India closed to cruise ships and Dubai port of debarkation  closed to cruise ships, but the cruise is still not cancelled, still getting e mails  asking me to bid on an upgrade I feel embarrassed for them as a business, it makes them look so incompetent.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Royal Caribbean will not now allow over 70s unless they have a doctors letter saying they are OK to cruise. This will be in place for 30 days at the moment.  https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/81/covid-19-health-screening-and-boarding-protocols/
In addition the UK govt has advised that over 70s don’t cruise, so if we do we will not be covered by our travel insurance.

I am under 70 but with no ports of call on the 11/4 Singapore to Dubai ship open I am waiting to hear how AZamara intend to carry on ! 

New announcement from RCCL: COVID-19 Health Screening and Boarding Protocols

Regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to:

1. Any person who has traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (for list of European countries see https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/80/schengen-area-countries/), Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation.

This means, as we are from Belgium, we are no longer allowed to board if Azamara applies the same rule.

6 minutes ago, Beasty Bee said:

New announcement from RCCL: COVID-19 Health Screening and Boarding Protocols

Regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to:

1. Any person who has traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (for list of European countries see https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/80/schengen-area-countries/), Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation.

This means, as we are from Belgium, we are no longer allowed to board if Azamara applies the same rule.

And how idiotic to expect hard working doctors to give me an appointment to get a fit to travel letter if I fall into that category.  Another communication that’s US centric and shows NO understanding of the workings of non US health Services. 

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, uktog said:

And how idiotic to expect hard working doctors to give me an appointment to get a fit to travel letter if I fall into that category.  Another communication that’s US centric and shows NO understanding of the workings of non US health Services. 

I’ve just heard on Radio 4 that Saga Cruises (who cater for an older demographic) have suspended operations until the beginning of May.  

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’ve just heard on Radio 4 that Saga Cruises (who cater for an older demographic) have suspended operations until the beginning of May.  

Phil

Hardly surprising, they had big problems on the new ship even before the current situation.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Another British cruise line who generally has an older demographic is Fred Olsen. Their ship Braemar has been sailing the Caribbean for several days now with 6 Covid-19 positive passengers onboard. The previous cruise was also affected by Coronavirus and passengers were flown home early. Several of those passengers have also tested positive since they have returned home.

Every port so far has denied Braemar entrance since the current positive results. The known affected passengers and crew are in isolation now but apparently the rest of the passengers have been allowed to wander the ship. Medically speaking, I would think by now a large percentage of the passengers must be Covid-19 positive ....and the current plan is to try to find a port that will let them disembark to fly back to the U.K.! 

Sadly I can foresee all cruising being cancelled for the next three months. For U.K. passengers the PM’s and FCO’s advice that anyone over 70 OR anyone with a pre existing medical condition should not travel on a cruise ship will mean your travel insurance is invalid as you would be travelling against the advice of the FCO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it's carnage for the whole travel industry at the moment. Worse than the ash cloud, Gulf War, SARS and September 11th all together. However, the longer Azamara put this off the worse they are going to look. It's obvious they need to allow full cash refunds for the next 3-6 months and that the ships are probably going to end up mothballed for a period of time. By denying the blindingly obvious they are alienating the very core base they will need when they start normal operations again. I hope Azamara and especially all the dedicated on board staff weather the storm but the head office PR/management have got to help them by taking some tough decisions. Bonnie thank you for all your hard work-we all realise you are doing the best you can to feedback the frustrations and it must be very draining.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

OR anyone with a pre existing medical condition should not travel on a cruise ship will mean your travel insurance is invalid as you would be travelling against the advice of the FCO. 

We have just checked with the provider of our annual travel insurance policy. When taking out the policy we declared a pre-existing but under control medical condition that is not one of the immediately listed conditions - hypertension. It is currently controlled by medication.  However our insurer has advised us even for a condition like this we should not travel and have suggested we contact our travel provider in the first instance and seek a refund. 
Sharing this as a red flag to UK travellers though probably relevant beyond these shores. 

• Like 2

Yes Ann, that’s a good point. I have currently returned to work temporarily giving out Covid-19 medical advice to our patients from a video link and phone at home. Our GP practice is just totally overwhelmed. 
Some of the queries today have been about “I am over 70 but healthy, so can I still go on my cruise in August or should I cancel” or “I am only 50 but I have asthma so should I cancel my cruise”?” Several more in a similar vein. 

The medical advice we are giving out on this difficult Friday 13th is NOT to travel if you are over 70 ....or if you have any pre existing medical condition that has required medication, clinical investigation,  surgery,  ongoing treatment or has caused a significant deterioration in your general health. I guess this covers the vast majority of the cruising demographic anyway. 
Such worrying and sad days for us all. 

• Like 6

So, no Canadians (all advised not to go on cruise ships); no Europeans except Brits and Irish; no Brits or Americans over 70 or with health conditions; and no Americans at all once the airlines decide they are not going to fly almost empty planes to the States just to bring a few Americans back from holiday (as all other passengers except Brits wouldn’t be allowed into the US). So if our booked cruise from Dubai to Greece goes ahead it will just be a handful of “younger” Brits and maybe a few Aussies if they can get flights into Dubai and out of Greece.

There should be no problems in keeping 2 metres apart to minimise the chance of infection. In the Main Dining Room we should be able to have a large table for each of us, with waiters serving us wearing hazmat suits. The cruise could be modified to make us Brits feel more at home. Perhaps fish & chips and Yorkshire pudding on the menu and knobbly knees contests and the like to keep us entertained during the long days at sea as we drift around the oceans with no ports letting us dock.

Sounds AzAmazing!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Do you still think your Dubai to Athens cruise will go ahead?  If it were me I’d have given up on that idea a few days ago.

Phil

We gave up days ago but have to wait for Azamara to eventually cancel.  FCC won’t be worth the paper they don’t print it on. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Yes Ann, that’s a good point. I have currently returned to work temporarily giving out Covid-19 medical advice to our patients from a video link and phone at home. Our GP practice is just totally overwhelmed. 
Some of the queries today have been about “I am over 70 but healthy, so can I still go on my cruise in August or should I cancel” or “I am only 50 but I have asthma so should I cancel my cruise”?” Several more in a similar vein. 

The medical advice we are giving out on this difficult Friday 13th is NOT to travel if you are over 70 ....or if you have any pre existing medical condition that has required medication, clinical investigation,  surgery,  ongoing treatment or has caused a significant deterioration in your general health. I guess this covers the vast majority of the cruising demographic anyway. 
Such worrying and sad days for us all. 

Thanks tor this update.

I was wondering if you would heed the government's call to return to service after your retirement. No doubt a difficult decision but the advisory service you provide to the practice and the patients will be invaluable.

• Like 2

Nordski plans in the U.K. are being drawn up for recently retired doctors, nurses and paramedics to be recalled to clinical practice if the NHS is unable to cope. I don’t think this event is far away. We have all been told that we may be required to work in areas outside of our medical experience. 
Personally I’m hoping for Obstetrics! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1