Coronavirus

Trend

11 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

A UK member of the roll-call for the Feb 8th Journey Auckland - Sydney cruise has just reported that Azamara has told them they will not be allowed to board as their flight was via Hong Kong. They have been advised to get a flight home but are finding it difficult to find one.

Wow,  long way to go to get rejected. Also means everyone who has had any interaction with that person needs to go through "extra screening" - if they're even aware they came via HK !!  And are Azamara even in a position to detect the virus at the earliest stages ? What a mess.

• Like 1

Just doing a little "wondering" how long these rules may remain in place, thinking ahead to the next month. I know from the roll call there are a number of other Aussies on both 17 and 28 March cruises out of Dubai.

It may happen and if it does huge sighs of relief will be heard all over the world, but it is unlikely coronavirus will magically disappear within the next few weeks.

We are o.k. as we fly direct from Sydney to Dubai, but in days gone by often flew from "down under" to European destinations via Hong Kong, Bangkok  or Singapore. Had we booked that route for our 17 March cruise from Dubai, we would be looking to change our flights to the direct route.

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Just doing a little "wondering" how long these rules may remain in place, thinking ahead to the next month. I know from the roll call there are a number of other Aussies on both 17 and 28 March cruises out of Dubai.

It may happen and if it does huge sighs of relief will be heard all over the world, but it is unlikely coronavirus will magically disappear within the next few weeks.

We are o.k. as we fly direct from Sydney to Dubai, but in days gone by often flew from "down under" to European destinations via Hong Kong, Bangkok  or Singapore. Had we booked that route for our 17 March cruise from Dubai, we would be looking to change our flights to the direct route.

I think Providing you’re not travelling through China and Hong Kong, you should be ok. I don’t think there are any cases in Dubai as yet. Fingers crossed🤞🏻
We are cruising with Azamara in April but flying through the Middle East. We too quite often go through Hong Kong. 
certainly buying P2 N25 masks for the plane journey!

1 hour ago, DRJVH said:

I think Providing you’re not travelling through China and Hong Kong, you should be ok. I don’t think there are any cases in Dubai as yet. Fingers crossed🤞🏻
We are cruising with Azamara in April but flying through the Middle East. We too quite often go through Hong Kong. 
certainly buying P2 N25 masks for the plane journey!

Five cases have been confirmed in UAE, all came from Wuhan Province.

• Like 1

February 7, 2020

Dear Azamara Guest,

We hope this email finds you well and looking forward to your upcoming cruise departing this month. We recently shared our new travel protocols in place and with the fluidity of travel restrictions, we have an update to share.

We continue to closely monitor global developments regarding the coronavirus, and we are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew. Our ultimate goal is to provide a great vacation experience while we maintain your health, safety and comfort. We continue to consult with medical experts and public health authorities. Now, in alignment with new, stricter CDC protocols, plus changes in various countries’ requirements and regulations – we are implementing the following changes.

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Family of brands will adopt these health screening protocols:
1.    Regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships.
2.    Any guests holding a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport, regardless of residency or when they were there last, will not be allowed to board our ships.
3.    Any guest or crewmember that has been in contact (which the CDC defines as 6 feet or 2 meters) with someone that has traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau less than 15 days prior to their sailing, will also be unable to board any of our ships.
4.    Additionally, the following travelers will be required to complete mandatory specialized health screenings and depending on results, may also be denied boarding:
a.    Guests who are unsure if they have been in contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 15 days;
b.    Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms;
c.    Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

We know that these steps are conservative, and we apologize that they will inconvenience some of our guests. We regret to have to do this, but it is our responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.

It is imperative that all guests check their air travel itinerary closely to ensure they do not transit through any gateway in China, Hong Kong, or Macau. Guests who have air travel booked through Azamara in any of these gateways will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel. We’re pleased to offer you up to $500 reimbursement to cover airfare change fees so that you can still enjoy your upcoming vacation with us. 

In the event that you arrive at the pier and do not pass the required health screening, you will receive a 100% refund for your cruise, and any prepaid items such as land packages or shore excursions, purchased via Azamara. If your air travel is booked through Azamara, your alternative air arrangements will be handled by our team. 

If you or someone in your stateroom holds a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport, or has traveled or been in close contact with someone that has traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-855-AZAMARA or visit https://www.azamara.com/contact-usfor your local Azamara office phone number.

Onboard our ships, we continue to take numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards. This includes:
•    Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,
•    Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,
•    Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for guests & crew experiencing flu-like symptoms 
•    Plus, the Captain will make daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.  

And remember, if you’re experiencing flu-like symptoms while you’re onboard, it’s imperative that you immediately visit our medical facility for a complimentary checkup.  Our onboard doctors and nurses are always ready to assist. Your safety and well-being are always our top priorities, but we also want you to have an amazing time. Stay clean, stay healthy, stay happy and remember to always use the Azamara Fist Bump when greeting others onboard!

Lastly, should we have to make any changes to our newly implemented travel regulation, we will let you and your Travel Advisor know immediately. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Sincerely,
AZAMARA®  

Coronavirus_Guest_Feb 7th_Advisory.pdf

On 2/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, uktog said:

Don’t worry they won’t have even got into New Zealand 

Up until yesterday anyway, NZ was letting people in who had been in Hong Kong recently.  I know someone who came off NCL Jade’s cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in the morning and flew to NZ last night.  No issues at immigration in NZ.  I spect that might change though.

I don't see anyone talking about cruise insurance, flight insurance, medivac insurance.  I have 3 insurance policies plus  Master Card insurance on my June air from Lax to Stockholm and cruise from Stockholm to St Petersburg, plus 10 days in London.  I have some pre exisiting health issues, and the the policy from Azamara waives the pre exisitng exclusions. 

Does anybody NOT buy cruise insurance?

6 hours ago, earn said:

Up until yesterday anyway, NZ was letting people in who had been in Hong Kong recently.  I know someone who came off NCL Jade’s cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in the morning and flew to NZ last night.  No issues at immigration in NZ.  I spect that might change though.

That was not their published policy. 

Boarding the Jounrey in Auckland today, we had to fill out a CV screening (no issues when we arrived via the airlines three days ago).   We had to get secondary screening because the last question asks about handling birds (we have a pet parrot, who frankly hasn't been out of the house for years).    Woman in a bunny suit, mask, and face shield took our temperature twice and oxygen sats brefore we were allowed to board.

One of the positives of  all this is it may make some  people on board consider  improving  their own personal hygiene. How many of us have seen people avoiding hand wash stations  before dining, when these same people walk out of public toilets without washing?  Hopefully this will be a wake up call for these people to improve safety for us all not just now but in the future. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

One of the positives of  all this is it may make some  people on board consider  improving  their own personal hygiene. How many of us have seen people avoiding hand wash stations  before dining, when these same people walk out of public toilets without washing?  Hopefully this will be a wake up call for these people to improve safety for us all not just now but in the future. 

I certainly hope so. Many a time I have seen people walk past the sanitising station, and these will be the first to complain when they get sick.

Edited by DRJVH
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DRJVH said:

I certainly hope so. Many a time I have seen people walk past the sanitising station, and these will be the first to complain when they get sick.

Remember some walk past for good reason. I’m fed up being chastised it’s putting me of cruising (it’s not unique to Azamara though I’ve noticed a much more childish approach to handling the issue in the last two years.). Funny they can remember your drinks preferences no problem but not that you use your own sanitizer in accordance with its usage instructions 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Remember some walk past for good reason. I’m fed up being chastised it’s putting me of cruising (it’s not unique to Azamara though I’ve noticed a much more childish approach to handling the issue in the last two years.). Funny they can remember your drinks preferences no problem but not that you use your own sanitizer in accordance with its usage instructions 

But I’m sure your not one of those who fail to wash after using the bathroom also? I have seen and called out these people on many occasions both on-board a cruise and in supermarkets too.  It’s basic hygiene practise to wash after using a rest room and I fail to understood people  who find this simple concept alien. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 4

How the h*** can you assume that the person walking past the hand sanitizer does not wash their hands very well and often - as recommended - geesh!

Currently onboard, and definitely see the evidence of people being very careful with hygiene. No one gives me the ‘stinky’ eye when I do walk past the sanitizer, which I do not use.

• Like 1

I am a dedicated hand washer.  I wash well and often, and use the towel to turn the water off, open the door, etc.  I also use the hand sanitiser gel because people approve when I do, not because I think it kills any viruses.  It doesn’t irritate my skin, so I’m not causing myself a problem, but I can see where other people might have trouble with it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, snowglobe said:

How the h*** can you assume that the person walking past the hand sanitizer does not wash their hands very well and often - as recommended - geesh!

Currently onboard, and definitely see the evidence of people being very careful with hygiene. No one gives me the ‘stinky’ eye when I do walk past the sanitizer, which I do not use.

I’m not talking about people not using the hand sanitizer, I’m talking about people coming out of a toilet stall and walking out without hand washing, and I certainly do more than ‘stinky eye’, I comment that the soap and water is free to use and make no apologies for doing so. I have to use the same serving spoons and plates   in the buffet that these dirty individuals use with goodness knows what bacteria on their hands. Hopefully this virus may make people wash a little more. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

How many of us have seen people avoiding hand wash stations  before dining, when these same people walk out of public toilets without washing? 

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I’m not talking about people not using the hand sanitizer

You practically did.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:37 AM, BBMacLaird said:

Guests will soon be notified in writing.

Bonnie, I assume this being monitored on a daily/weekly basis.  Things can change so quickly. We are due to sail on 23 April out of Athens, haven’t heard anything from Azamara yet. 

5 hours ago, DRJVH said:

Bonnie, I assume this being monitored on a daily/weekly basis.  Things can change so quickly. We are due to sail on 23 April out of Athens, haven’t heard anything from Azamara yet. 

Hi DRJVH, Yes the situation is being closely monitored. 

The only letters to date have been for February sailings. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snowglobe said:

You practically did.

I think you are being a little pedantic here. The sentence you quoted is incomplete. 

You will see I used the subordinating conjunction ‘when’ and then continued the sentence to make one clause sub dependant on the other to make the sentence complete. To only use one clause of the sentence changes it’s meaning entirely.  
The point still stands, people who refuse to wash after leaving the bathroom really need to be shamed into doing so. They put  everyone else at risk, especially of norovirus, which is not killed by hand sanitizer. We are also told the best way to reduce the risk of novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is by effective hand washing. So I am not really sure of the point you are making? 

• Like 3

I have witnessed many men not washing their hands in toilets on the ships on many cruises. Personal hygiene especially on ships is essential in preventing the spread of Norovirus. It is reckless for some individuals to harm other passengers and spoil expensive cruises just because they will not  wash their hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi DRJVH, Yes the situation is being closely monitored. 

The only letters to date have been for February sailings. 

I think things must have moved on. I saw a tweet today from someone on the 24 March Journey Sydney to Singapore who said they’d been told they couldn’t fly via Hong Kong.

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I think things must have moved on. I saw a tweet today from someone on the 24 March Journey Sydney to Singapore who said they’d been told they couldn’t fly via Hong Kong.

Part of Bonnie's post from 7 February states :

Regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships.

Similar information was included in her link posted on 3 February :

• Regardless of nationality, we will deny boarding to :
  • Any guest who has travelled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong or Macau in the past 15 days