Cruise Critic Community
CarelessAndConfused

Am I breaching any food/buffet etiquette if I decide to take items back to my cabin?

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Was this on Princess?  I have never had a room service staffer or cabin steward instruct us to leave dirty plates, glassware and cutlery in the hall.  I seem to remember reading (at least at some point in the past) a note in the room service listing to call room service when done.  I don't know if it is still in that verbiage or not.

Yes, this was on the Royal.  I specifically asked whether I could leave them out so they may have just wanted to be polite.

10 minutes ago, perditax said:

I really don’t want to see anyone’s leftover meals/food waste on the carpet in a hotel OR cruise ship. 

There's tons of things I don't want to see in a hotel or a cruise ship but I don't let it get to me unless it directly hinges on my right to enjoy my time how I see fit.  For the record, I would not leave it out in the hallway or the doorway as it would cause an entirely different unwanted problem.  Bottom line, I don't even order room service.  I thought I would just about every day but my experience the first night was plenty enough to never/rarely ever decide to that again.

32 minutes ago, jpsykes said:

we go to Dollar Tree here in the states and get 10 shower caps for $1. They work great for covering food and other uses as well.

Great idea!  My wife often sends me to the IC to get her a sandwich, and on our next cruise, it will be covered with a shower caps, thanks to this!

44 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

No plate covers ... but a napkin works ....

Cover the plate with another plate!

I've used plates to cover, love the idea about shower caps, but on my last cruise I took a box of foil sheets. Kept the plates hot while walking the hallways to my cabin. They come pre-cut so you just whip one out and cover the plate.

Edited by Bollycats

39 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Most hotels have much wider hallways than a ship.  Passengers using scooters, walkers, or even canes can have difficulty maneuvering around dirty plates and glasses. Those difficulties are magnified in rough seas.

Exactly!! 

We were next door to this couple that left their tray of dirty dishes right in front of our door in the little cut out entry way.  I went flying across the hallway one day as I was carrying stuff and didn't see it to step over it.  Someone may have had to shove it into this little area because they needed to use the hallway with their scooter / walker or maybe even the room steward cart was on the other side and there was no room to walk through the hallway.  It's just dangerous, not to mention, unsightly.  If disabled passengers needed to get out in a hurry and the hallway was lined with dirty dishes, it could endanger their lives.  If passengers that like to eat in their room and don't like the dirty dishes in their room, either call room service or take them up to a dining area. 

I read here that someone was leaving their kid's dirty diapers in the hallway, too.  Ugh!!  

Now, I would think that any room steward that told passengers that this is ok would be directed to an inservice very quickly.  

48 minutes ago, jpsykes said:

we go to Dollar Tree here in the states and get 10 shower caps for $1. They work great for covering food and other uses as well.

OMG that is a great idea...I always bring extras with me anyway as I never know when the hotel or ship will provide one...been hit and miss...DH once said why cant we just bring an extra zip loc baggie and put the cookies in there.....I said I thought that would look to odd shoving cookies into a zip loc bag at the buffet... 😆

Thank you jpsykes for your ingenious idea about the shower caps.  We often get on an elevator and see someone with a full plate of food and I wonder what if someone sneezed etc.  Yech.

As for leaving dirty dishes in the hall, what if everyone did that?  It looks so awful.  If we ever bring food back to the cabin, we take the dirty dishes back up to the buffet area.  I think the cabin steward has enough to do without clearing away our dirty dishes.

We do all of the time; especially a cheese and munchie plate in the late afternoon to enjoy

with a glass of wine before dinner. Also, cookies from the IC for  late night snack.

I have never seen dirty dishes outside a hotel room.  I have seen it on Princess.  It is disgusting.  They sit there on the floor for hours on end.  I asked our room steward once and was told they were not supposed to leave the dishes there on the floor.

1 minute ago, dickinson said:

I have never seen dirty dishes outside a hotel room.  I have seen it on Princess.  It is disgusting.  They sit there on the floor for hours on end.  I asked our room steward once and was told they were not supposed to leave the dishes there on the floor.

I can only imagine you either don’t stay in enough room service hotels or aren’t paying close attention as it is quite normal protocol based on what I’ve seen staying dozens of nights every year in room service hotels. I’m not sure if you folks understand that you’re not suppose to just leave “dirty dishes” lying out there but are suppose to put the plate container back on and place on tray so that no food is exposed.  Some folks won’t care or don’t know but that is how it is usually done.

7 minutes ago, nini said:

We do all of the time; especially a cheese and munchie plate in the late afternoon to enjoy

with a glass of wine before dinner. Also, cookies from the IC for  late night snack.

I like the cheese idea.A LOT.

2 hours ago, ams1130 said:

Are there any sort of plate covers available, or do people usually use a napkin?

Just invert another plate/bowl over top of the item containing food. No great knowledge of engineering required.

I strongly disagree with the people that think it is OK to leave dishes (clean or otherwise) out in the hallways of cruise ships. IMHO it is dangerous & unsightly. Dangerous because it restricts the movement in case of emergency and also makes life difficult for people with mobility issues. This also goes for the sevice carts the stewards are using.

Unsightly is a given. How much trouble is it to contact roomservice to get it cleared up.

BTW, we are talking on these boards about cruise ships mainly. Hotels might have a different policy.

Theo 

Edited by Renmar

Just now, Renmar said:

I strongly disagree with the people that think it is OK to leave dishes (clean or otherwise) out in the hallways of cruise ships. IMHO it is dangerous & unsightly. Dangerous because it restricts the movement in case of emergency and also makes life difficult for people with mobility issues. This also goes for the sevice carts the stewards are using.

Unsightly is a given. How much trouble is it to contact roomservice to get it cleared up.

Theo 

I don't think anyone, unless I missed something, said that's okay.

so, the cabin stewards need to do what ? - pull the carts into the cabins ? or make numerous trips for each cabin back to wherever it is they can 'park' the carts out of the hallways?

so, are the hallways at least 2 times as wide as the doorways to cabins ?

Edited by voljeep

2 hours ago, jpsykes said:

👍 great idea 

15 minutes ago, Renmar said:

BTW, we are talking on these boards about cruise ships mainly. Hotels might have a different policy.

Theo 

Fair enough but I think one of the reasons why some people see cruisers doing it is because those cruisers are not use to cruising and this is VERY MUCH what happens in land based hotels as NORMAL PROTOCOL so without even thinking about it, that's what they do.  Then there is the knucklehead crowd who just don't care and want to do whatever want to do.  Can't defend those idiots.

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

just cover the food when taking it back to your cabin or other ship location

I have read that some people choose to take shower caps to cover plates to take to cabin to avoid spillage and/ or others coughing over them.

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I can only imagine you either don’t stay in enough room service hotels or aren’t paying close attention as it is quite normal protocol based on what I’ve seen staying dozens of nights every year in room service hotels. I’m not sure if you folks understand that you’re not suppose to just leave “dirty dishes” lying out there but are suppose to put the plate container back on and place on tray so that no food is exposed.  Some folks won’t care or don’t know but that is how it is usually done.

You are right.  I don't stay at room service type hotels.  Mainly Hampton Inns.  Only a couple of times a year.  I still think that it is not the right thing to do.  

I always bring a few small baggies and a few plate covers (look like shower caps) for the occasional crackers/cheese or cookies I would like to bring back to the room.  Sometimes after a long port day we are just too weary to get dressed up to go to MDR or even to sit in the crowded buffet.  That being said, we never leave plates in the hall....it is a tripping hazard and usually distasteful to walk pass.

I bring a whole bunch of gallon size zip lock bags. Great for all kinds of food👍🏻

I often bring iced tea or hot tea back to the room to read or watch movies. I sit them on the table, chest, or sink, and room steward does the rest. Never a peep. 

I once had to pass someone in a tight hallway, and stepped on a plate/glass. Result: face down with wet shoe and sock. Not tragic, but I do not think it wise to put them in the hallways on ships. 

2 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Perhaps you're the ignorant one.  What makes you think the hotel doesn't want it that way?  You think the chambermaids want to deal with cleaning up all of the room service remnants or have to call room service to pick up every time.  It's probably more efficient for the hotel to have someone patrol the halls once in a while to see if there is anything to pick up.

I live in hotels about 3 months out of the year  (Hiltons, Marriotts and Hyatts) and am always told by Room Service to put trays in hallways and they will be picked up.  Also, we have been told this several times on Princess by room stewards too.  I have never seen it written anywhere in Princess literature that this is a problem.....the ewwwwww crowd just needs to get a grip and mind their own business!!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

5 hours ago, ams1130 said:

Are there any sort of plate covers available, or do people usually use a napkin?

I usually use a napkin or plate over plate, but I’ve read that shower caps fit perfectly, haven’t tried it yet.