Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Sign in to follow this  
volk904

Water Island, Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbor from Crown?

We will be in St Thomas in 2 weeks. Been to Meagans Beach, Coki Beach and 3 times to St John’s.  Looking to try something new this year. 
seems like people suggest Water Island, Sapphire Beach and Secret Harbor. Water Island sounds interesting but with the ship arriving at 8 it would seem the 9 or 10am Ferry is the earliest we can go but my concern is the return trip. Would we have trouble getting on the 3:15 Ferry?

love to here some feedback on all 3 beaches?

Water Island is closest to Crown, but I have read that it gets very busy when there are ships in port. We've never been there, so I can't help you with the ferry questions.

Sapphire is my favorite beach -- it is beautiful and a must see/do, IMO.  Secret Harbor is nice as well.  Both have a bar with food options and the natural shade is coming back.   

Hull Bay may be another option for you.  It would be about the same distance from Crown as Megan's.  Nice, uncrowded beach with a bar/restaurant--locals beach.  You would probably want to set up a time with your cab driver to come back for you as cabs there are not plentiful. 

Not many taxis want to go to Hull Bay unless you have a group. Taxi drivers don't like to go to "local" beaches because locals have their own transportation to beaches so taxi drivers can't get a fare back.

If you want to go to local beaches, best to rent a vehicle unless you have a group.

I learned long ago to never ask a taxi driver where the "Best" of anything is. It will always be the furthest from where you are so they can earn a higher fare. The "Best" will never be a few blocks away.😊

4 hours ago, 2PinaColadas said:

Water Island is closest to Crown, but I have read that it gets very busy when there are ships in port. We've never been there, so I can't help you with the ferry questions.

Sapphire is my favorite beach -- it is beautiful and a must see/do, IMO.  Secret Harbor is nice as well.  Both have a bar with food options and the natural shade is coming back.   

Hull Bay may be another option for you.  It would be about the same distance from Crown as Megan's.  Nice, uncrowded beach with a bar/restaurant--locals beach.  You would probably want to set up a time with your cab driver to come back for you as cabs there are not plentiful. 

How are the prices at Sapphire?

On 1/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, volk904 said:

How are the prices at Sapphire?

We were at Sapphire a couple of years ago. I thought the prices were reasonable. Maybe $10-15 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. Drinks weren’t bad either, $3 for a beer. The bar makes an outstanding Painkiller too.  Nice view of St. John.

The chairs are now $9 each. They may not have umbrellas now because of the natural shade.

There are umbrellas at Sapphire now.

Yes a specific return ferry from Water Island can indeed be tough. We’ve seen people waiting for the ferry (two in a row once) only to miss it because more aggressive folks pushed ahead of them. Honeymoon also gets crazy with the excursions stopping in, and more so with a ship docked at Crown.

Secret Harbor can also make you think “sardines” on busier days, and day visitors to the resort are usually confined to one section when renting lounges.

Sapphire would be our choice of the 3 - Gorgeous beach and water and a little more room to find a nice spot. 

If you are worried about the ferry to water island, there is a tour called ConTiki that leaves from the cruise ship docks, goes over to the island and gives you a couple hours of beach time.

Water island is AMAZING, and honeymoon beach is about as picturesque as you can get for a Caribbean beach.   Bonus: there are nearly always sea turtles inside the swim area.

I stayed on the island for a week (twice) and even with 2 or 3 party boats on big ship days, it never feels "crowded"

Pro Tip:  Heidi's Grill (left side of the beach facing land) has KILLER fish tacos!

We’ve felt like sardines on HB with just 1 ship in Crown and 1 in Havensight. The excursions that stop in add to that crowded vibe, and the excursion operators don’t do a good job of keeping their boats out of the swimming area which is in front of Dinghy’s.

So just another perspective. WI and HB were once a great option, but like other spots HB has become very popular with the bigger day visiting crowds of today...