Best beach Boatyard, Pirates Cove or Ricos?

volk904

We will be in Barbados mid Feb. looking for a good beach. 4 ships in port that day. 
last trip we did spend some time after an excursion at Pirates Cove. The free Snorkel at the Boatyard sounds like a perk 

just wanted some thoughts.  

The beach quality is the same between Boatyard, Pirate's Cove, Lobster Alive, Harbour Lights, etc.as they are all lined up along Carlisle bay - the difference is in their facilites.  If you want water toys, etc. then choose Boatyard. If all you want are chairs, a shared umbrella and a bar for food and drinks then he a bit farther to Lobster Alive or Harbor Lights..

I am not familiar with Ricos and cannot compare it to other spots.

15 hours ago, volk904 said:

We will be in Barbados mid Feb. looking for a good beach. 4 ships in port that day. 
last trip we did spend some time after an excursion at Pirates Cove. The free Snorkel at the Boatyard sounds like a perk 

just wanted some thoughts.  

Personal thoughts:

Lobster Alive = T'erds

Harbour Lights = T'erds

Pirates Cove = T'erds

Boatyard = T'erds

Rico's = NO T'erds

17 hours ago, volk904 said:

Does Lobster Alive and Harbor light offer the snorkeling for an extra charge?

There will  be people on the beach trying to sell you a ride out to the turtles.  Don't know if they are affiliated with the other beach bars or not.  You can also swim out to the turtles.  Just walk South on the beach till the chair rentals stop and that's about where you can swim out from.

19 hours ago, volk904 said:

Does Lobster Alive and Harbor light offer the snorkeling for an extra charge?

Harbor Lite will NOT charge you upfront.

You pay for what you use with discount for package.

Use of beach - free 

Chair and shared umbrella 10 USD

Turtle tour with free snorkling equipment 15 USD

Packge of Turtle tour, chair and shared umbrella 20 USD

Harbor Light does take reservations (which means services sold will be delivered)

Unlike Boatyard which takes money upfront and then it is unable to deliver on services sold on crowded days with no refunds.

There are plenty folks here on CC who had good experience at Boatyard in the past (especialy when there were only couple ships in the port)

Currently, Barbados Tourism office is working with Boatyard manager to end its practice of keep taking money even when they are full and then refusing refunds. (Amex and Citibank have already taken action against Boatyard)

You may want to check few other threads and decide among the establishments you may want to use.

As JohninDC pointed out the beach is same. So are the beutiful turquoise water and the turtle/snorkling area.

Edited by hal2008

• 3 weeks later...

We choose the Boat yard and we’re happy with the choice.   For $50 we got 2 drinks , 2 chairs, a umbrella, a shirt snorkel excursion and a ride back to the ship.  2 bigger ships and 2 small ships in port that day.  No issues or than the food and beer is a bit on the high side.    Next time we might try another place.  

We chose Boatyard again last week.  Same deal although we didn't do the snorkel part (but we still had to pay for it).  One thing I noticed is that, except for Lobster Alive, Boatyard had the least packed together loungers.  On this day, at both Copacabana and Harbor Lights, the chairs were so close that the unbrellas were touching.  You couldn't walk between the umbrellas except every 10 chairs or so they left an aisle.  Chairs and umbrellas were much further apart at the Boatyard.  That was nice.

I am trying to understand...

Package of Turtle tour, chair and shared umbrella 20 USD

is it by Harbor Light?

Can 2 people book 1? One will be going to see turtles and another will use a chair?

(I do not need a chair, my husband won't snorkel)

Or should we do $10 for chair and $15 for turtles?

Not a big deal, but just asking.

Also do we need to book beforehand or can we just pay at the beach?

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I am trying to understand...

Package of Turtle tour, chair and shared umbrella 20 USD

is it by Harbor Light?

Can 2 people book 1? One will be going to see turtles and another will use a chair?

(I do not need a chair, my husband won't snorkel)

Or should we do $10 for chair and $15 for turtles?

Not a big deal, but just asking.

Also do we need to book beforehand or can we just pay at the beach?

You pay there for Boatyard, no reservations. Other clubs may allow reservations. You both need to rent chairs and share an umbrella - that's part of your admission fee. No discount if you don't go on the snorkel trip.

• Like 1