After the Grand Princess changes home port which Princess ship will take its place in San Francisco

brisalta

It is my understanding that the Grand Princess is going to have its home port changed to Singapore for about a year and then after that it will move to Southampton.

Which Princess ship will be home ported in San Francisco after the Grand Princess leaves for Singapore?

Edited by brisalta

Ruby Princess arrives Oct 24th 2020 and will remain in SFO year round.  Currently her schedule goes through September 8th 2021.  When the remaining Fall/Winter/Spring 2021-2022 itineraries are published later this year I would expect her to remain until at least April 2022 or beyond :)

16 hours ago, brisalta said:

It is my understanding that the Grand Princess is going to have its home port changed to Singapore for about a year and then after that it will move to Southampton.

Which Princess ship will be home ported in San Francisco after the Grand Princess leaves for Singapore?

Is it being transferred off (sold to) PO Cruises? 

31 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The Grand's whereabouts after November 22nd 2021 are currently uncertain.  She was scheduled for a Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale 14nt transatlantic on 11/8/21, but that has subsequently been replaced with 2 additional 7 night voyages ex Southampton on 11/8/21 and 11/15/21.  No announcement has been made by Princess that she is to leave the fleet.

The only ships scheduled to leave the fleet at this point are Golden and Star, both going to P&O Australia - Golden at the end of her 2020 Alaska season and Star at the end of her 2021 Alaska season.  Princess announced these quite a bit in advance, so if Grand was leaving one would assume the same.  If she were being transferred to P&O UK the homeporting in Southampton and subsequent cancellation of her planned transatlantic cruise at the end of the 2021 Europe season would support that notion.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well LA is getting Discovery Princess in 2022 and it does some coastal. Perhaps after a year it will move up and sail Alaska.

I think her sailing to Alaska is almost a certainty.  There could potentially be 3, or even 4, Royal Class ships sailing Alaska in 2022.  Royal looks to be headed to SE Asia or Aus/NZ as is Enchanted, and Regal looks poised to remain on the West Coast possibly taking over the Hawaii and longer mexico runs from LA alongside Discovery when she arrives.

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

From the published schedule it is going to be plying the Southampton cruises for Princess.  I have read that the next dry dock will then be in France.

I almost can't wait until we get a new ship here in San Francisco.  I am booked this summer on the Star and then on the Ruby in fall and again, next spring.  Of note, Carnival is putting one of her ships here in SF this year as well.... the Miracle.  We do tend to be the dumping grounds for some of the oldest ships they can find in their fleets.  

My wish, though ... give us one of the Royal class ships here in SF ....  PLEEEEEEEASE!  

I guess I can always fly to LA ... they are putting the new Discovery Princess down there in 2022.  And yep ... I booked that one, too!!  

18 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

"In the Year 2525 . . ." (queue the music.)

But Zager & Evans do have a record - they are they only artists to have a song that went to # 1 on both the US Billboard chart and the UK top 100 and never had another song to reach either chart.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, Ombud said:

Ruby & Star both have Skywalkers.  Thinking about another Star cruise before it transfers off to PO Australia in early 2022

Sorry to hear the Star will be leaving the US fleet!  We've been on her several times (Alaska, Caribbean) and we really like the ship and her sisters.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, Cruise Raider said:

My wish, though ... give us one of the Royal class ships here in SF ....  PLEEEEEEEASE! 

Royal Class does not have a promenade.

Another problem is because of the dimensions, ships of this class have problems getting in to some harbours and using some passages.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I almost can't wait until we get a new ship here in San Francisco.  I am booked this summer on the Star and then on the Ruby in fall and again, next spring.  Of note, Carnival is putting one of her ships here in SF this year as well.... the Miracle.  We do tend to be the dumping grounds for some of the oldest ships they can find in their fleets.  

I guess I can always fly to LA ... they are putting the new Discovery Princess down there in 2022.  And yep ... I booked that one, too!!  

I am looking forward to other lines finally coming to SanFran after the 5 year exclusive contract with Princess.  It's going to drop the fares considerably and we'll finally have some shorter round trips cruises available.  

Nice thing about being a couple hours driving distance of a decent cruise port!

I'm seeing Carnival and another line (starts with *N*, tired) that will regularly be offering the closed loops.  

I will miss the grand though, the star ehhhh and ruby another ehhh.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, justafem said:

I am looking forward to other lines finally coming to SanFran after the 5 year exclusive contract with Princess.  It's going to drop the fares considerably and we'll finally have some shorter round trips cruises available.  

Nice thing about being a couple hours driving distance of a decent cruise port!

I'm seeing Carnival and another line (starts with *N*, tired) that will regularly be offering the closed loops.  

I will miss the grand though, the star ehhhh and ruby another ehhh.  

Norwegian??  I don't see anybody but Carnival and Princess doing closed looped sailings out of SF.  Hmmmm??  

What will you miss about the Grand, may I ask??  She does have a great staff, pretty consistently, and she does have window suites, but other than that?  Just curious what you are going to miss.  

Also, I might share your sentiments about the Star ... well, maybe??  But, why do you feel that way about the Ruby?  I've never sailed on her so asking for your honest opinion.  I'm still booked on both the Star and the Ruby for a few cruises over the next couple years.  

I'm hesitant to book on Carnival, though ... maybe I will find a short one that will fit the bill.  It's just when I called down there to make a booking, it didn't seem like anyone knew what they were doing.  We haven't sailed on that line in quite some time  ... Princess has gotten 80% of our business over the last decade and it's nice knowing their policies, pros and cons, etc.  

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

Royal Class does not have a promenade.

Another problem is because of the dimensions, ships of this class have problems getting in to some harbours and using some passages.

I know the promenade is a big deal for some ... me?  I don't care one way or another. 

And, the Royal does come into the port of SF, so that isn't an issue.  Still would love to see one of these newer ships home ported here in the future.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justafem said:

That's quite a good rumor that NCL is looking into home porting a ship in SF.

• Like 2