Questions about cabins on Zuiderdam

AtleeH

Question #1 - Is there a place on HAL website where I can see what cabins are already booked?

Question #2 -After booking and paying in full for my cruise at the VF guarantee level, is it possible to contact HAL and request a particular cabin, albeit paying whatever the up charge would be?

Question #3 - We are traveling with my wife's sister and have been linked since we both booked.  However, they booked a Neptune suite while we booked a VF guarantee.  I know we will not that close to them, but is there any chance we will be as close to them as possible knowing of course that we will be limited to a verandah stateroom?

2 hours ago, AtleeH said:

Question #1 - Is there a place on HAL website where I can see what cabins are already booked?

If you go to the HAL site and do a “dummy booking” (pretend you are going to book), you can see what cabins have been booked.  You have to select each category to see the booked cabins, though.

Keep in mind that those are only the cabins that have been selected.  No one knows how many guarantees are on each cruise that have to be assigned.

Question #2 -After booking and paying in full for my cruise at the VF guarantee level, is it possible to contact HAL and request a particular cabin, albeit paying whatever the up charge would be?

If have not reached final payment yet, why not check pricing to select your stateroom, decide which one you want and call your TA/PCC/HAL (depending on who you booked with)  rather than wait until after final.  

If you are past final payment you can contact who you booked with and ask if it can be done.  I believe people have reported doing it here.  We have not so can’t comment based on personal experience.

Question #3 - We are traveling with my wife's sister and have been linked since we both booked.  However, they booked a Neptune suite while we booked a VF guarantee.  I know we will not that close to them, but is there any chance we will be as close to them as possible knowing of course that we will be limited to a verandah stateroom?

Linking works for dining so you are together at dinner but it has little to do with cabin allocation.  It depends on which category of Neptune Suite your wife’s sister chose, but generally speaking for the SA category, there aren’t verandah’s close by on the same deck.  

4 hours ago, AtleeH said:

You don’t have to wait for final payment.  Hopefully you have booked through a PCC so this step will be easy.  Do as Kazu says and start a dummy booking.  When you get to the page where you can choose by deck and location (following the “You Select Your Stateroom” page) click on Edit Stateroom Number.  From there you will see what’s “included” on that deck and section.  Don’t forget to hit “next step” if you want to change deck or section.  Anything that’s “included” for a guarantee is available to book at no additional cost.  You will see a price change if you’ve clicked on something that’s an upgrade.  Once you have your preferences (don’t forget to choose a backup) call your PCC and ask them to assign you that room.

To add to Kazu and Miss G's posts, the booking website doesn't show more than 10 cabins for any search. But other cabins may be available. So if there's an area you would like to be in, look for the place (at the bottom of the "edit" choices) to enter a specific cabin number to see if it's available. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You don’t have to wait for final payment.  Hopefully you have booked through a PCC so this step will be easy.  Do as Kazu says and start a dummy booking.  When you get to the page where you can choose by deck and location (following the “You Select Your Stateroom” page) click on Edit Stateroom Number.  From there you will see what’s “included” on that deck and section.  Don’t forget to hit “next step” if you want to change deck or section.  Anything that’s “included” for a guarantee is available to book at no additional cost.  You will see a price change if you’ve clicked on something that’s an upgrade.  Once you have your preferences (don’t forget to choose a backup) call your PCC and ask them to assign you that room.

Final payment was made at time of booking.  

On 1/28/2020 at 4:40 AM, AtleeH said:

The wait is over for us.   Got an email from HAL today.  Our Guarantee VF Verandah was changed to VB 4178, on the fantail.  When we booked, we linked with my wife's sister.  She booked a Neptune suite.  She is in Suite 4180 which is on the corner on the fantail next door to us.  Before, we've always been amidship, either in an inside cabin or in a balcony stateroom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Well that’s fantastic!  Congratulations!  You can ask your steward to open up the balcony divider if you like.  Enjoy your cruise!

That would be great.  Looking at the deck layout, opening the balcony divider would open up a lot of "real estate".  Across the back, and up the side of the ship.

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm in a Neptune, so it should have been done there, too. Had it on K'dam last winter and thought it was the smartest thing HAL has done in a while.

Absolutely.  Also, dim light in bathroom so I don't have to wake spouse.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, AtleeH said:

The wait is over for us.   Got an email from HAL today.  Our Guarantee VF Verandah was changed to VB 4178, on the fantail.  When we booked, we linked with my wife's sister.  She booked a Neptune suite.  She is in Suite 4180 which is on the corner on the fantail next door to us.  Before, we've always been amidship, either in an inside cabin or in a balcony stateroom.

I think you will love the aft facing cabin. It is our favorite location. And you are lucky enough to be traveling with someone who paid extra for the wrap around suite! That will be great! Kudos for HAL for not putting you in another location.

12 hours ago, Tom O. said:

I think you will love the aft facing cabin. It is our favorite location. And you are lucky enough to be traveling with someone who paid extra for the wrap around suite! That will be great! Kudos for HAL for not putting you in another location.

It's definitely a plus that my SIL & BIL are traveling with us, and that HAL put us in cabins that are next door to each other.  And with the metal partition between our cabin and their suite open, we'll have a lot of "real estate" between us.  Should get a lot of good views .  Going through the locks will require some time out of the cabins when we go forward to the bow to see what's going on up there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AtleeH said:

It's definitely a plus that my SIL & BIL are traveling with us, and that HAL put us in cabins that are next door to each other.  And with the metal partition between our cabin and their suite open, we'll have a lot of "real estate" between us.  Should get a lot of good views .  Going through the locks will require some time out of the cabins when we go forward to the bow to see what's going on up there.

Yes, see one lock from the front and then the others from the back. If you want to see the entry into the canal, you have to be up VERY early. We did that, then went back to our aft wrap balcony to watch the rest of the action while we had room service breakfast. The table on the NS balcony sits four, a bit crowded with lots of plates, but you should be able to all have breakfast together. 

Don't miss the Panama buns!