Plastic Straws vs Paper Straws

GeriatricNurse

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Please spare me.....

We are sailing on a gas guzzling carbon spewing floating environmental hazard but at least we are drinking from a paper straw......Let me sip and feel good about myself.

Obviously, you don't appreciate the finer points of virtue signalling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Please spare me.....

We are sailing on a gas guzzling carbon spewing floating environmental hazard but at least we are drinking from a paper straw......Let me sip and feel good about myself.

I agree.

• Like 3

We were given fairly sturdy paper straws for all fruit bedecked tall tropical straw requiring drinks and also milk shakes earlier this month on NA, without needing to ask for one. We don't drink soda so maybe with those you need to ask if you want one. The straws in the milk shakes didn't hold up quite as well but we survived.

Also, no more sugar packets but large sugar shakers, no more dead tree abridged newspaper leaflet in every mailbox, and in general less mail box waste junk mail (something I fully support regardless of the motivation). 

• Like 2

We were recently on the Nieuw Statendam where if you needed a straw, you could request one and they would provide a paper straw for you.  It didn't bother me, as I always carry a couple of silicone straws  - they wash easily in the bathroom sink and are very portable.  We also noticed much less paper in our mailbox throughout the cruise - something we greatly appreciated.  Single use items such as ketchup, mustard, sugar, etc., are now being served in bottles and sugar shakers.  At the Lido you can get single serve butter pats, but they are preformed, cut,  and on a chilled tray for you; no more foil wrapping.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Smooth Sailing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It has nothing to do with feeling good about yourself but it is the right thing to do for the environment.  I hope I never get to the point where my attitude is more self-centered than self-less.

Removing plastic straws from cruise ships will produce minimal improvements in the environment.  It's like most other environmental issues,  if  you want to make significant progress, get China to change.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Removing plastic straws from cruise ships will produce minimal improvements in the environment.  It's like most other environmental issues,  if  you want to make significant progress, get China to change.

I just read that China plans to bring up 50 (FIFTY!) NEW coal fired power plants this year......yet no-one gets upset at that....but let me ask for a plastic straw that actually works and let the judging begin!!!!!  

Sorry...I've continued to venture off topic......let's return to a real topic.....paper vs plastic straws....Seriously?

Smooth sailing everyone.....and laugh it off...it is hilarious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I am pleased to hear that the barrage of junk mail is declining!

We didn't experience a decline in junk mail during our recent cruise (January 8-15). Numerous pieces of needless advertising showed up at our door multiple times each day.

3 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We didn't experience a decline in junk mail during our recent cruise (January 8-15). Numerous pieces of needless advertising showed up at our door multiple times each day.

It's such a waste of paper. I keep threatening to take it all home and mail it to Mr Ashford in protest. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I agree.  I'm on the Eurodam today and, while it may not be quite as much as previously, there's still a good number of paper ads in my mailbox each day that go directly to the recycle bin immediately.  Paper straws are available on request.

The Environmental Officer hosted our dinner table the day before yesterday.  Paper straws are in and will continue to be.  Packets of artificial sweetener are being eliminated although he was not sure what the head office was going to do about replacing them.

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The paper straws are a waster of paper.

I agree.

You can help save the environment/planet/world even more by just saying "NO" to a straw.   I don't ever use a straw of any kind and I feel like I am doing a better job for the world than those that use straws.  Join me in keeping the world from ending in 12 years.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I am not waiting for others to make a change.  It starts with each of us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Credit needs to be given where it's due though.  Thank the U.S. government for all recent environmental measures taken by Carnival Corp ships because its their court ordered probation that's making HAL do it.  HAL doesn't give a crap about straws but they also get to win in this because they can claim to the world they are Earth savers, even though they've been just the opposite lately.    I guess it doesn't matter though.  As long as non-recyclable single-use plastics are being eliminated, it's still a good thing.  

• Like 1