Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cruiselvr04

Minimal OBC from TA. Shop elsewhere?

I rarely use a TA.  We’ve done 40 cruises and less then 5 have I used a TA.  Then we booked a river cruise thru my usual but seldom used TA.  I did shop around for that one and she gave us by far the most credit back,  so I’m thinking maybe I’m losing out.  I started to turn over a couple of recently booked cruises to her and was offered $50 for a 4 night balcony and $75 for a 7 night balcony. Several years ago we got at least double that.  Is this really the best I can expect?  Who’s making the money here?  Have TA’s slice gotten smaller? I’ve read on these boards some get 5% back but is this just for suites?

Are the profit margins as low with higher end cruise lines like Oceania and Viking?  

She has told me that they use a computer program that tells her when a price drops so am I assured of catching those if they happen?

This is the main reason I don’t like to give up control.  Plus final payment is always due at least a week sooner. And I have to go thru her to pre pay tips right?

6 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

And I have to go thru her to pre pay tips right?

If you want to pre pay them, yes, but you don't need to pre pay them.

My final payment is always the same with my TA as it is with cruise line direct. 

It does seem like the benefit you are receiving from this agent is a little “lite”

Regarding “loss of control” I e never experienced this at all, actually just the opposite; if I have a need, I email my agent and it is handled, no waiting on endless hold with an offshore call center, I get an email back saying “it is done” 

17 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’ve read on these boards some get 5% back but is this just for suites?

Comission from RCI is up to 16% of the commisionable fare (which can be much less than you actually paid). The generous TAs reported here seem to be in the 10% range.

I’m assuming commissionable to be prior to taxes and fees which still puts me at about 4%.

Having a TA automatically monitor for price drops is a valuable service.  This means that I don't have to continually check the prices myself.

I have learned over the years that if a travel agent is offering  no or little per centage of the cost of the cruise back,  it is best to switch to another agent.  Take the time to search online, call different agencies and ask fellow passengers on your next cruise who they prefer to use.  We are not allowed to recommend agencies on this site.

28 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m assuming commissionable to be prior to taxes and fees which still puts me at about 4%.

Sometimes the commissionable portion is even smaller than that - once you get down to about $50pppd, you might not get anything.

5 minutes ago, rose6 said:

I have learned over the years that if a travel agent is offering  no or little per centage of the cost of the cruise back,  it is best to switch to another agent.  Take the time to search online, call different agencies and ask fellow passengers on your next cruise who they prefer to use.  We are not allowed to recommend agencies on this site.

I am aware of the rules of this board.  I’m only trying to get opinions if there is money back that I’m missing out on or if this is the new norm.

After all the cruises I’ve taken there are still some areas I don’t feel expert in.  This is one of them.  

If you are not taking too many cruises per year, why not bargain for the best deal from three or four agencies.

you probably already know this but there is a website that will "compete" for your business and show you offers from several agencies for your ship and date

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

you probably already know this but there is a website that will "compete" for your business and show you offers from several agencies for your ship and date

I did just go search that and submitted my request .  Thank you!  I’ll see how it goes.

1 minute ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I did just go search that and submitted my request .  Thank you!  I’ll see how it goes.

I have had EXCELLENT luck on that site