Ocean view deck 4 or 6?

Werangels

3 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Firstly if you suffer from sea sickness (or worry that you might) then the lower down the better, so 4 would be better.

We really like being on 4 towards the aft, because it’s near Guest Relations, near to Mosaic coffee bar and near Discoveries bar & Restaurant.

Thank you, good call.  Seasickness has never bothered us (fingers crossed!)....

We have stayed in oceanviews on both 4 and 6. ( 6 being an obstructed oceanview) . Both decks are extremely convenient for Mosaic, Theatre, Discoveries,Guest Relations and disembarking.  We did 18 nights in 4040 and found it perfect midship. We have done 6032 (forward elevator) and are in 6046 in April ( aft elevator).

We had no problem at all in an obstructed, but  others appear to. The layout is side on , there is no sofa or small table. We liked the layout especially around the wardrobe, dressing table and bathroom.

On a port intensive cruise obstructed on deck 6 is no bother. When it suits us we book Oceanviews but at other times we book a V3 balcony as we have done in June for 18 nights. 

Sometimes the price difference between Oceanview and Balcony on certain itineries can be quite high and that is one reason why we did an Oceanview and have never regretted it. 

Edited by combine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, combine said:

We have stayed in oceanviews on both 4 and 6. ( 6 being an obstructed oceanview) . Both decks are extremely convenient for Mosaic, Theatre, Discoveries,Guest Relations and disembarking.  We did 18 nights in 4040 and found it perfect midship. We have done 6032 (forward elevator) and are in 6046 in April ( aft elevator).

We had no problem at all in an obstructed, but  others appear to. The layout is side on , there is no sofa or small table. We liked the layout especially around the wardrobe, dressing table and bathroom.

On a port intensive cruise obstructed on deck 6 is no bother. When it suits us we book Oceanviews but at other times we book a V3 balcony as we have done in June for 18 nights. 

Sometimes the price difference between Oceanview and Balcony on certain itineries can be quite high and that is one reason why we did an Oceanview and have never regretted it. 

Thank you.  I was looking at Phil’s photos of 6046 and didn’t notice that there is no seating.  Is there no where to sit at all if you ordered breakfast for instance? We have only cruised once and had a balcony but for this cruise, it is considerable chunk more as you say.  

Correct Werangles ,there is no where to sit other than the bed or at the dressing table for  breakfast in your cabin in an obstruccted view on deck 6. You are however one deck down to Discoveries where breakfast is waiter service, or  Mosaic cafe for a light patisserie breakfast and coffee. Otherwise its  Windows on deck 9.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Agree with others ....much prefer deck 4 and cabins in the higher numbers too. Anything above 4030/431 in fact my preferred OV cabin is 4054. Quiet and very convenient location. 

Oh, excellent.....just booked 4054 for our Norway cruise in July 😀.

• Like 2

I have 4003 for a cruise. What is wrong with these low number cabins?  I figured they would be isolated from noise other than when anchor dropped, but that's not a big deal.  Also, how much bigger are the picture windows compared to portholes?  Is there a big difference?  Oh, we had a suite on our first Azamara cruise, but prices on this one prevent me from even booking a veranda.  Hoping to bid on an upgrade, but who knows if that will even be available.

• Like 1

The picture windows are pretty big. The other good thing about them is the ‘sill’ underneath them which gives you a great space to put things out of the way. We put all the large advertising books they leave on your dressing table there, also I store all my ‘Insider’ copies there too, and sunhats etc.

F2BC4594-67E8-4F70-BF77-98E4B538B2EF.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I have 4003 for a cruise. What is wrong with these low number cabins?  I figured they would be isolated from noise other than when anchor dropped, but that's not a big deal.  Also, how much bigger are the picture windows compared to portholes?  Is there a big difference?  Oh, we had a suite on our first Azamara cruise, but prices on this one prevent me from even booking a veranda.  Hoping to bid on an upgrade, but who knows if that will even be available.

I find all the far forward cabins very noisy in the early morning. Not only the anchor chain descending but also the bow thrusters at about 5am in the morning! 
It can seem like they are in the cabin with you the noise is so bad and for me, the far forward cabins on deck 4 are the worst. I would never book them again but that’s just me. You may not be as sensitive to noise as I am and might sleep through it! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I find all the far forward cabins very noisy in the early morning. Not only the anchor chain descending but also the bow thrusters at about 5am in the morning! 
It can seem like they are in the cabin with you the noise is so bad and for me, the far forward cabins on deck 4 are the worst. I would never book them again but that’s just me. You may not be as sensitive to noise as I am and might sleep through it! 

Thank you for this post.  It will cost me $160 more, but I requested my TA to move me from 4003 to 4053.  

Also, thank you to others for the photos of the picture windows.  Those portholes seem like little circles.  With inside cabins being larger than ocean views, I want a good reason to book the ocean views.  The main purpose is natural light, which I kind of need in the daytime.  

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

Thank you for this post.  It will cost me $160 more, but I requested my TA to move me from 4003 to 4053.  

Also, thank you to others for the photos of the picture windows.  Those portholes seem like little circles.  With inside cabins being larger than ocean views, I want a good reason to book the ocean views.  The main purpose is natural light, which I kind of need in the daytime.  

Personally I think I would pay $160 more for 4053. It will be much quieter in the early mornings. Great location for the MDR and all the facilities as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

My balcony cravings overrode my sensible head in the end.....  Oh dear 🙂

Thank you all especially for the photos, very helpful.

👍👍 it happens to us all!!

Just keep in mind that there may be a time in the future that an Oceanview (either regular or obstructed )  may fit the bill. Port  intensive cruises lean us towards the Oceanview and those with more sea days to a Balcony. Even then we are sometimes surprised  how little we use them. Friends have said that breakfast room service is nice on the Balcony, something we have never done yet.

58 minutes ago, combine said:

👍👍 it happens to us all!!

Just keep in mind that there may be a time in the future that an Oceanview (either regular or obstructed )  may fit the bill. Port  intensive cruises lean us towards the Oceanview and those with more sea days to a Balcony. Even then we are sometimes surprised  how little we use them. Friends have said that breakfast room service is nice on the Balcony, something we have never done yet.

A good point!  DH didn’t use it much but I did.  I particularly enjoyed breakfast out there or morning coffee and juice whilst looking at the new scenery.  I do grimace at the price though!  I just wish fellow ‘balcony’ers’ were a little more conscious of how loud their voices are or how it is possible to see a naked body through the gaps!  That was a shock one morning!

3 hours ago, Werangels said:

My balcony cravings overrode my sensible head in the end.....  Oh dear 🙂

Thank you all especially for the photos, very helpful.

Thank you for the thread anyway. It is a great topic.  

The balcony on the Japan cruise is $5,000 more than the inside.  $333 per day to have a balcony?  Nope, but I would try upgrade bid for $600 for the cruise.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Thank you for the thread anyway. It is a great topic.  

The balcony on the Japan cruise is $5,000 more than the inside.  $333 per day to have a balcony?  Nope, but I would try upgrade bid for $600 for the cruise.  

Wow!  I feel a little churlish now debating over my far smaller amount!