Woudl This Be Possible?

danny8826

We have book the Silhouette that departs from San Antonio (Santiago), Chile and end in Buenos Aires.  The ship gets into Buenos Aires at 5:00 AM on Jan 2nd and will stay overnight in Buenos Aires prior to disembarkation.

https://www.icruise.com/itineraries/14-night-chile-argentina-and-uruguay-holiday-cruise_celebrity-silhouette_12-20-2020.html?refPage=src

We are hoping to do a day trip to Iguazu Falls that day.  For a day trip with no luggage checked, would a 10:00 AM flight be feasible or it is too close?

Thank you for your help.

We have done this cruise before (in the same direction) but we didn't do Iguaza Falls.  Which airport are you flying out of?  AEP is very close to the pier while EZE is not as close.

10 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We have done this cruise before (in the same direction) but we didn't do Iguaza Falls.  Which airport are you flying out of?  AEP is very close to the pier while EZE is not as close.

I can do both.  You are right.  AEP is closer, but more expensive.

I guess I can do

AEP to IGR

IGR to EZE or AEP

I guess it wouldn't matter too much on the way back since the ship is staying overnight.

Our Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise was aboard Infinity back in Dec 2016-Jan 2017.  So it was a smaller ship and a few years ago.  Infinity was scheduled to arrive Buenos Aires at 5am like your sailing.  We did not get up early that morning to get off the ship early so I cannot tell you for sure, but I think passengers could get off by 6am or so.  If true, you should be able to make it to either airport although I very much like the idea of flying out of AEP and returning via EZE.

Here is the Celebrity Today that was issued for our sailing for the first day at Buenos Aires in case it is of any help.

21 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Our Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise was aboard Infinity back in Dec 2016-Jan 2017.  So it was a smaller ship and a few years ago.  Infinity was scheduled to arrive Buenos Aires at 5am like your sailing.  We did not get up early that morning to get off the ship early so I cannot tell you for sure, but I think passengers could get off by 6am or so.  If true, you should be able to make it to either airport although I very much like the idea of flying out of AEP and returning via EZE.

Here is the Celebrity Today that was issued for our sailing for the first day at Buenos Aires in case it is of any help.

Thank you for the Celebrity Today PDF.  That was very helpful.

I have a transfer set in Iguazu and I found that person on Tripadvisor with very good rating so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just afraid of what if the ship gets in late. 

That's all.  I will chance it with a 10AM flight.

13 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you for the Celebrity Today PDF.  That was very helpful.

I have a transfer set in Iguazu and I found that person on Tripadvisor with very good rating so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just afraid of what if the ship gets in late. 

That's all.  I will chance it with a 10AM flight.

I haven't looked at your specific sailing's itinerary, but if it is like our cruise, we sailed to Buenos Aires from Montevideo which is only 100 miles away.  The ship could practically drift to Buenos Aires during the 12 hours or so that it has to get there.

Btw, here is the link to my entire review of our cruise which includes links to all the Celebrity Today's issued during our 15 night cruise.

9 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I haven't looked at your specific sailing's itinerary, but if it is like our cruise, we sailed to Buenos Aires from Montevideo which is only 100 miles away.  The ship could practically drift to Buenos Aires during the 12 hours or so that it has to get there.

Btw, here is the link to my entire review of our cruise which includes links to all the Celebrity Today's issued during our 15 night cruise.

Thank you for sharing the Celebrity Today.  It's the same as yours itinerary.  The port before Buenos Aires is Montevideo.

My travel companion is quite active.  I hope he won't get bored with Celebrity.  I'm hoping they would have some games and dance classes to keep him busy.  It doesn't have to be all in a row.  Just a game or 2 or a dance or 2 would be good with him.

I, on the other hand, like to relaxed and enjoy the scenery.

We have sailed out of Buenos Aires twice -- the first time on the Infinity in 2015 and the second time last March on the Eclipse.  Both times the ship overnighted in BA and the next port of call was Montevideo.

While we didn't to it, at least in 2015, Celebrity offered a 12 hour shore excursion to Iguazu.  We had dinner one night with Capt. Frantz, and a pair of the other guests had taken it.  

32 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have sailed out of Buenos Aires twice -- the first time on the Infinity in 2015 and the second time last March on the Eclipse.  Both times the ship overnighted in BA and the next port of call was Montevideo.

While we didn't to it, at least in 2015, Celebrity offered a 12 hour shore excursion to Iguazu.  We had dinner one night with Capt. Frantz, and a pair of the other guests had taken it.  

Thank you for the info.

I know that Celebrity charge a lot for this, $800+ per person.  I don't know why it's so much though.

I look at airfare and a round-trip is about $150-$175.  I contacted a company that does transfer to/from the airport to the Iguazu Falls and it's about $30 for the round-trip.  The person also said admissions is about $15 and you also can get a tour on the spot for $35.  For a 1 day trip, I'm looking at close to $300 per person vs what other places charge.  I just don't understand why $800+ per person. 

Doing it yourself is very smart because doing thru the ship is very expensive.

And as I was implying in my previous, the short distance from Montevideo to BA makes it more likely that you will get there on time.

11 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Doing it yourself is very smart because doing thru the ship is very expensive.

And as I was implying in my previous, the short distance from Montevideo to BA makes it more likely that you will get there on time.

Very, very true for both of your statements.

41 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Thank you for the info.

I know that Celebrity charge a lot for this, $800+ per person.  I don't know why it's so much though.

I look at airfare and a round-trip is about $150-$175.  I contacted a company that does transfer to/from the airport to the Iguazu Falls and it's about $30 for the round-trip.  The person also said admissions is about $15 and you also can get a tour on the spot for $35.  For a 1 day trip, I'm looking at close to $300 per person vs what other places charge.  I just don't understand why $800+ per person. 

While having dinner with the captain the pair of guests who had taken the Celebrity excursion were two ladies "of a certain age."  I have no idea how much they paid for the trip in 2015, but they were complementing the captain about how smoothly the shore excursions staff had organized the trip.  I doubt that they were budget travelers, and given their ages, most likely felt more comfortable on a Celebrity organized trip.

Have you given any thought to going to the falls before boarding the ship.  Most people I have met who have gone to the falls flew out (from the domestic airport -- not the international one) and spent the night there.  

15 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

While having dinner with the captain the pair of guests who had taken the Celebrity excursion were two ladies "of a certain age."  I have no idea how much they paid for the trip in 2015, but they were complementing the captain about how smoothly the shore excursions staff had organized the trip.  I doubt that they were budget travelers, and given their ages, most likely felt more comfortable on a Celebrity organized trip.

Have you given any thought to going to the falls before boarding the ship.  Most people I have met who have gone to the falls flew out (from the domestic airport -- not the international one) and spent the night there.  

I thought about it, but our ship starts in San Antonio, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires.  I wish it starts in Buenos Aires and that would make it easier.

I think it might be possible if you go out of AEP.    I would really be cautious of doing it out of EZE.   The trip to EZE is about an 35 minutes away but with the traffic situation  could be over an hour.   Not sure of the immigration check points but when flying out of EZE to the U.S. last time it took us over 2 hours to clear passport control.  

Maybe others can speak to the passport control issues at AEP and EZE. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think it might be possible if you go out of AEP.    I would really be cautious of doing it out of EZE.   The trip to EZE is about an 35 minutes away but with the traffic situation  could be over an hour.   Not sure of the immigration check points but when flying out of EZE to the U.S. last time it took us over 2 hours to clear passport control.  

Maybe others can speak to the passport control issues at AEP and EZE. 

Thank you.  That's good to k now.

Hi Celebrity excursion are pricey but I will tell of our experience.

We did Machu Picchu with A shore excursion off the ship 3 days 2 night back in 2014. Our return flight from Cusco had engine problems so no flight. The tour people & X went into overdrive as if we didn't get back to Infinity in Manta, Equador we would have to join the ship at Panama. We were taken to an airport hotel provided with refreshments (lunch) while a plane was found and the passengers paid to take later flights.

We arrived at the port several hours later (flight and 3 hours on buses) and Infinity had sailed due to tides therefore we were tendered to the ship through the Manta Yacht Club.

An experience we will not forget

Liz

Why not stay in Iguazu Falls for at least one night? My biggest issue with cruises is that you rarely have the opportunity to "experience" a port of call.  It takes a while to walk the falls on BOTH sides, but it is well worth it. 

10 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Celebrity excursion are pricey but I will tell of our experience.

We did Machu Picchu with A shore excursion off the ship 3 days 2 night back in 2014. Our return flight from Cusco had engine problems so no flight. The tour people & X went into overdrive as if we didn't get back to Infinity in Manta, Equador we would have to join the ship at Panama. We were taken to an airport hotel provided with refreshments (lunch) while a plane was found and the passengers paid to take later flights.

We arrived at the port several hours later (flight and 3 hours on buses) and Infinity had sailed due to tides therefore we were tendered to the ship through the Manta Yacht Club.

An experience we will not forget

Liz

Thank you for sharing.

4 hours ago, KEN31VA said:

Why not stay in Iguazu Falls for at least one night? My biggest issue with cruises is that you rarely have the opportunity to "experience" a port of call.  It takes a while to walk the falls on BOTH sides, but it is well worth it. 

We thought about doing this tour before boarding the ship in San Antonio, but the flight from Buenos Aires to Santiago is expensive for 1 way. 

We can't really stay overnight because the ship stay overnight and all passengers needs to get off the ship the next day before 9 AM or so.  There's no way we can make it back on time to grab our luggage to leave the ship.  That would be too hectic.  That's why we choose a full day trip.

We might not see both side, but seeing one side is better than nothing.  We are not sure when we will be back again.