Recomendations for Travel Folding Rollator with Seat

I would like a rollator that easilyand quickly folds both directions and can be placed in the backseat of a car,  works well on moving sidewalks and plane gangway at an  airport and on a cruise ship.  It must also have a seat.  Does anyone have rollator they find works well for this use?  Thank you for your help. 

Before he got to the point where he had to start using a scooter on the ship, my husband used this one (which he still uses today around the house).     It is a great rollator, works well on rough terraine and even has a comfy seat.   We bought his on Amazon.  

https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/products/mobility/rollator-walkers/4-wheel-rollators/nitro-aluminum-rollator-10-casters/p/48-1

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the Upwaker Lite which allows you to stand erect.  It takes the pain off my back by using the arms to maneuver the Upwalker at shoulder level.  You can get it at Amazon.  It’s pricey at $550 but my back loves it.  It has a seat with back rest, a storage tote and beverage holder.

Edited by Carole2313

• 2 years later...

My husband uses the Drive Nitro as well, but we're hoping to get the Upwalker for the reason Carole2313 menioned - it allows you to stand erect. My husband is tall and doesn't always use the best posture with his rollator. But he loves being able to stop and sit when he tires out. He also has a foldable power wheelchair that we may take on our next cruise.

• Like 1

We both plan to take our Drive Medical Nitro Rollators on our upcoming plane flight and cruise. This will be our first time traveling with a walker so not sure what to expect at security checks.

Are there special security lines at the airport and the cruise terminal?  Do they hand check the Rollators — I doubt the regular belts are big enough.

23 hours ago, candydane said:

We both plan to take our Drive Medical Nitro Rollators on our upcoming plane flight and cruise. This will be our first time traveling with a walker so not sure what to expect at security checks.

Are there special security lines at the airport and the cruise terminal?  Do they hand check the Rollators — I doubt the regular belts are big enough.

I suggest you do not check your rollators at the airport but take them with you to the door of the plane.  At that point, you get on the plane and the airport people will stow the rollators below, along with wheelchairs, strollers, etc.   If you have a connecting flight, they will bring the rollators to you at the door to the plane at your connecting airport where you would do the same thing (use your rollators and take them to the door of the plane for your connecting flight).   You need to tell the agent at your gate that you have rollators that need to be gate checked; they will give you a tag to put on your rollators.

You can get in the early boarding lane for your flight, along with the wheelchairs.   

Going through security they will scan and/or hand check your rollators.  

Will you be able to walk (using the rollators) to your gate?   If it's a long way, you could request wheelchair service and hold the rollators on your laps or the wheelchair pusher may be able to carry them on the back of the wheelchairs.  The wheelchair pushers are masters at getting through security and to your gate.  

The cruise terminal has security lines similar to airport security lines.  But there should be a special line for special needs passengers.  The employees at the terminal can direct you to the correct line.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:50 PM, kokopelli-az said:

I suggest you do not check your rollators at the airport but take them with you to the door of the plane.  At that point, you get on the plane and the airport people will stow the rollators below, along with wheelchairs, strollers, etc.   If you have a connecting flight, they will bring the rollators to you at the door to the plane at your connecting airport where you would do the same thing (use your rollators and take them to the door of the plane for your connecting flight).   You need to tell the agent at your gate that you have rollators that need to be gate checked; they will give you a tag to put on your rollators.

You can get in the early boarding lane for your flight, along with the wheelchairs.   

Going through security they will scan and/or hand check your rollators.  

Will you be able to walk (using the rollators) to your gate?   If it's a long way, you could request wheelchair service and hold the rollators on your laps or the wheelchair pusher may be able to carry them on the back of the wheelchairs.  The wheelchair pushers are masters at getting through security and to your gate.  

The cruise terminal has security lines similar to airport security lines.  But there should be a special line for special needs passengers.  The employees at the terminal can direct you to the correct line.

We have requested Wheelchair service and am having trouble visualizing us managing a Rollator (Carex brand), 2 carry-on roller bags for medical essentials and CPAP, and 2 larger check-in bags once we get to customs at London Heathrow. Anyone done this? Thanks --the need for a Rollator is a new experience for us. 

On 1/28/2020 at 3:06 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Before he got to the point where he had to start using a scooter on the ship, my husband used this one (which he still uses today around the house).     It is a great rollator, works well on rough terraine and even has a comfy seat.   We bought his on Amazon.  

https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/products/mobility/rollator-walkers/4-wheel-rollators/nitro-aluminum-rollator-10-casters/p/48-1

I agree 100% with this suggested rollator.  I have one like it, have had it for over a year and it is truly great--any time you need to get through a narrow passage, just pull up (very easy) on the between-seat handle (red in the picture) and it collapses sideways, still on all four wheels and easy to maneuver.  Then you just pop it out afterward, with slight movement of the handles sideways.

• Like 1

Actually mine is slightly different--I liked the champagne color that was available and bought this.  Note that the seat comes UP when you pull the handle, in contrast with the red rollator shown above.  Also, the brackets holding the front wheels are a substantial bracket instead of the wire-like support in the picture.  All else is the same.  BTW, I epoxied a name/address plate on the center handle support, visible when you pull it up.  Love it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZYD9JJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71jS0Rz+V-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61y8UG1FhnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg