Kids Sail Free

Jazul

Does anyone know when this promotion will be discontinued by RCCL?  And why is there no Adults Only cruise weeks for those of us who don't find the little ones so cute as they run wild all over the ships???

• Like 1

You can book Virgin Voyages if you want adults only.

Current KSF promo ends on January 31, and there are several black out dates where it doesn't apply. You will also typically find fewer children on longer cruises, especially those during the school year.

This promo is actually showing up the whole year, and my budget does not support the cost of Virgin Cruise Line.  I actually enjoy Royal Caribbean ships minus the hundreds of kids that have NO adult supervision.  We have tried cruising the week after kids go back to school from holidays but apparently everyone is home schooled these days because it doesn't matter when we go.  We were never pulled out of school when we were young.  I was just making comment that it would be nice to have one or two weeks a year for the adults.  This promo has lasted way too long already.  RCCL complains about some of their ships not making any money yet parents would pay for the kids to sail no matter what, so seems pointless from a business perspective.  And the weeks when it is not offered is holiday weeks when they don't need to offer it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jannese said:

This promo is actually showing up the whole year, and my budget does not support the cost of Virgin Cruise Line.  I actually enjoy Royal Caribbean ships minus the hundreds of kids that have NO adult supervision.  

Understand, mid school year (Feb,April October) and 9+ days is your best bet for minimal kids 

So cruise transatlantic or itineraries greater than 10 days.  Those will have the least amount of kids on board.  Or sail on the lines that have little to no infrastructure for kids.  

believe it or not, Disney does a better than excellent job keeping their adult only areas exact that.  As in the staff do not have a problem curtailing free roaming packs and kicking them out of the AO pool area

22 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Understand, mid school year (Feb,April October) and 9+ days is your best bet for minimal kids 

Funny - that’s exactly when our school vacations are!! 

OP - try celebrity ...there will be fewer kids...or maybe a larger ship that has more spaces to go? 

While I have always traveled as a kid or with them on cruises - I don’t tolerate the crazy kids happily.    I found that our Symphony cruise had less of that nonsense - I assume because there was just sooooo much actual fun to have that they didn’t need to make fun being stupid. Might be something to consider.

If you aren’t happy having kids on board,  and it ruins your experience it may be worth it to save up for an adults only CruiseLine.  Or sail something Holland American on a 20+ day cruise.  Booking a floating amusement is certainly going to attract kids regardless of the season.

RCI reserving a week for only adults would almost assuredly go against the “family friendly” image they are trying to convey.

Also, Complaining about a sale that is very beneficial to a large number of people because it does not serve you and creates a situation that is undesirable to you is also rather selfish and self serving.

• Like 2

I took my kids on ships when they were younger and not free. Even on Holland America where there were not many children. Never been on a cruise where children ‘run wild’. Hope I never get cranky and wish to be isolated from the real world. I hope my children force me in a nursing home if I ever get to the point where I despise children as much as you.

Edited by coaster

We have, unfortunately, been on a few cruises where the kids were a bit out of control.  It seems a lot of parents let the kids go off on their own.  We have brought our grandchildren with us quite often and let them know to have fun but don’t get too rambunctious!!! Sometimes kids need a little discipline, won’t kill them.

• Like 1

rimmit & Coaster, you must be part of the problem taking wild kids on these cruises since my simple question seemed to hit a nerve and you felt the need to attack me.  I am not "selfish", "self serving", "cranky" or "despise children", but rather despise the parents or guardians who do not discipline their children.  jptoz, I know who RCCL caters to.  I have sailed with them 35 times, and I had no issue until this promotion began a couple years ago, except for the Thanksgiving cruise with 1,200 children onboard and now I don't cruise during holiday weeks.  We now book our cruises immediately after a holiday week when we know the children should be back in school after a break, but since this promo began, this rule of thumb is not holding true to the theory of less children.  But thank you to all other responders who answered the original question appropriately.  spookwife, I understand Disney is an excellent line but, unfortunately, they are out of my budget along with Virgin.  But it is interesting to know that their staff can keep the kids in line, unlike RCCL.  Cel-cruise, you hit the nail on the head with your comment "make fun being stupid".  I happen to have just gotten off one of RCCL's oldest ship, Majesty out of New Orleans, which doesn't have much to offer kids compared to the newer ships, but apparently the low price + promo brought out all the crazies.  For the poster who said they've never experienced a crazy kid cruise, consider yourself lucky.  Part of the problem is that there is no adult only solarium on Majesty, which I didn't realize before I booked it, and I won't be sailing it again no matter how cheap it is.  Since I live in Louisiana, our choices are limited to pretty much Carnival and RCCL, so although I love Princess' newer ships, and would like to sail Celebrity, and/or longer than 7 nights, this would entail a road trip or flight to Florida.  Again, I appreciate those who stayed on point to my question and will refrain from posting on Cruise Critic in the future since there are some people who cannot help but always post negative replies.  I only asked about the duration of the promo because it always amazes me how much knowledge the Cruise Critic Community possesses and I thought someone was bound to know if this was a campaign that had an expiration date after hooking new cruisers.  I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!  But before I leave, can someone please tell me how I get my postings to show up in Bold like everyone else???  Just in case I have a future question that is sure not to be controversial.......

Edited by Jannese
  • Like 1

Totally understand where you are coming from and I am a mom!  Some parents lets their kids run wild and don't even watch them in the pool!  Of course staff doesn't say anything because their hands are probably tied.  Don't book any holidays or between March-August.....  If you have already read your post it will not be bold anymore....

Edited by RCLcruiser2012
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jannese said:

But before I leave, can someone please tell me how I get my postings to show up in Bold like everyone else???  Just in case I have a future question that is sure not to be controversial.......

Top Left B when you start a topic or respond to thread. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, Jannese said:

This promo has lasted way too long already.  RCCL complains about some of their ships not making any money yet parents would pay for the kids to sail no matter what, so seems pointless from a business perspective.

Not trying to beat you down about this, and I hope you do not find it as such...

But Royal does not lose out on money with the KSF. They use Royal Math which as many people here will tell you, is just plain impossible to understand.

Think of it like the drink package that they do by one get one half off...

The Average price of the UDP is $60, but when you get on board, they up the price to $80 but include the aforementioned deal. That means it would be $80 for one person and $40 for the other person... which means it would cost $120 for both (or $60/person) otherwise known as the original price that they offered, just packaged in a pretty bow.

I know the KSF (because I have taken advantage of this) is not really a full deal, because on those cruises, we as the parents are paying more.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cozzette3 said:

Ok, I have a question about the promo.

Are kids only free if they are the 3rd person in a cabin or does it apply if they are say, Grandma, grandaughter in a cabin ?

They must be the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin.

If you don't have your heart set on the vast ocean spaces, a river cruise can be fantastic.  We took one on the Danube a few years ago.  Minimum permitted age was eight, but the cruise line strongly discouraged even older children (warning in materials that there are no special menus or schedules or facilities for children).  It was a great, grown-up time.  I recommend it!

P.S. I adore my child, and there are other kids whose company I enjoy, but I totally understand the desire to experience a child-free environment, on vacation or not.  I'm not sure why some of my fellow breeders are taking the question so personally.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:13 PM, Jazul said:

Does anyone know when this promotion will be discontinued by RCCL?  And why is there no Adults Only cruise weeks for those of us who don't find the little ones so cute as they run wild all over the ships???

Seeing as Royal sees itself as the family cruise line they'll probably never have an adults only cruise. I've also seen many a kids run wild all over the ships but the biggest "tantrums" I have ever seen were committed by 2 very senior cruisers on 2 different cruises.