Coronavirus

Senior48

Currently on Westerdam bound for Hong Kong. No exposure as ship has not visited China. Hong Kong stop shortened but most disembarking. Those continuing to Shanghai have had itinerary and disembarkation changed. HAL giving a whopping $50 (yes Fifty) dollar shipboard credit for “inconvenience”. No cancellations announced and no refunds offered. We will see what screening is in place on HK ARRIVAL. 

46 minutes ago, ski ww said:

I'm surprised that they would still stop in Shanghai. I've heard other cruise lines have cancelled that stop. 

They are not, OP indicates "Those continuing to Shanghai have had itinerary and disembarkation changed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Senior48 said:

Currently on Westerdam bound for Hong Kong. No exposure as ship has not visited China. Hong Kong stop shortened but most disembarking. Those continuing to Shanghai have had itinerary and disembarkation changed. HAL giving a whopping $50 (yes Fifty) dollar shipboard credit for “inconvenience”. No cancellations announced and no refunds offered. We will see what screening is in place on HK ARRIVAL. 

Welcome to the Cruise Critic forum, Senior48. The HAL blog post (below) outlining the company’s response was posted yesterday and may be of interest.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/asia-pacific/update-on-westerdams-asia-cruises/?fbclid=IwAR00i4eAyutgHtO8KqPRP1el04ICKbEwrovzZYDzeL2Y3uph_ppTV5w2VyM

If you are disembarking in Hong Kong, has anything changed for you?  Are your return flights or other post-cruise plans affected? If so, I wish you well in making alternate plans. If you were booked to stay on for Shanghai, by now you may realize that airlines are starting to cancel all flights to mainland China (so no one would have been able to fly home from Shanghai). HAL had to re-route (not at all a simple process) and did so.

I’m sympathetic to all those whose trips were disrupted. I’m sure most of us have our own stories of catastrophic or minor events that caused inconvenience and disappointment, but it’s an almost routine fact of traveling in a complex world. I wonder if people read travel contracts - cruise lines reserve the right to change any itinerary. I also wonder why people don’t buy travel insurance.

You seemed disappointed to be given $50. I’m not sure what people expected HAL to do beyond what they have already done.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Welcome to the Cruise Critic forum, Senior48. The HAL blog post (below) outlining the company’s response was posted yesterday and may be of interest.

If you are disembarking in Hong Kong, has anything changed for you?  Are your return flights or other post-cruise plans affected? If so, I wish you well in making alternate plans. If you were booked to stay on for Shanghai, by now you may realize that airlines are starting to cancel all flights to mainland China (so no one would have been able to fly home from Shanghai). HAL had to re-route (nit at all a simple process) and did so.

I’m sympathetic to all those whose trips were disrupted. I’m sure most of us have our own stories of catastrophic or minor events that caused inconvenience and disappointment, but it’s an almost routine fact of traveling in a complex world. I wonder if people read travel contracts - cruise lines reserve the right to change any itinerary. I also wonder why people don’t buy travel insurance.

You seemed disappointed to be given $50. I’m not sure what people expected HAL to do beyond what they have already done.

What part of this is the blog?