Port facilities wifi available - Aqaba

mef_57

I can't seem to find any details on what exactly is available at the port facilities in Aqaba for wifi access.  What I have read is that there is free wifi at a couple of restaurants, but that Jordan practices 'siesta' closures so many things close at 3pm or before.

I was hoping to get a quick email check and send after Petra (private tour) and before departure time which means most likely during 'siesta'.  

Anyone know whether there is wifi readily accessible near ship?

Thanks.

Aqaba is a secure port - in & out only by pre-arranged transport, or (for most ships) by shuttlebus to the town .

I  can't be sure but I don't think there are cafes etc in the port, though googlemaps shows several on the shoreline adjacent

There's a clutch of cafes, restaurants & hotels near the entrance in Petra.

Or hotels in Aqaba surely don't shut their doors, and doubtless non-residents can buy a beer or a coffee & tap away at their tablets. 

Your driver is likely to know the where and the when

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Aqaba is a secure port - in & out only by pre-arranged transport, or (for most ships) by shuttlebus to the town .

I  can't be sure but I don't think there are cafes etc in the port, though googlemaps shows several on the shoreline adjacent

There's a clutch of cafes, restaurants & hotels near the entrance in Petra.

Or hotels in Aqaba surely don't shut their doors, and doubtless non-residents can buy a beer or a coffee & tap away at their tablets. 

Your driver is likely to know the where and the when

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion of Petra.  Didn't think about that option, but that might be the best bet.  It does seem that the McDonalds 'downtown' Aqaba is open with free wifi.  Originally I was thinking about the port facilities itself, as sometimes they have TI offices close at hand.  Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

For any port, if in doubt, follow the off duty crew...they know where the free wifi is!

Simon

You know, I have found it harder to pick out the crew on some of my cruises 🙂  If I was just going into town, I would figure it out, but with wanting to spend most of the time in Petra, I was feeling short of time.  JB's suggestion of doing this at Petra is most likely the most efficient. Thanks.

Sometimes the excursion buses to Petra have wifi on board (ours did), but yes, check with your tour company. 

John Bull or anyone else - do you know if there is a charge for the shuttle bus into town and if so how much?  Or can we walk into town from the port gates?

2 hours ago, Curlyjo said:

Sometimes the excursion buses to Petra have wifi on board (ours did), but yes, check with your tour company. 

John Bull or anyone else - do you know if there is a charge for the shuttle bus into town and if so how much?  Or can we walk into town from the port gates?

Taxi to Petra. No tour bus for me. But maybe that's an option the day before on a cruise tour to Jerusalem. There will be a lot of bus hours that day.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, mef_57 said:

Thanks for the suggestion of Petra.  Didn't think about that option, but that might be the best bet.  It does seem that the McDonalds 'downtown' Aqaba is open with free wifi.  Originally I was thinking about the port facilities itself, as sometimes they have TI offices close at hand.  Thanks again.

There is a Movenpick hotel right by the entrance to the Petra Visitor Centre which has free wifi

8 minutes ago, Bobal said:

There is a Movenpick hotel right by the entrance to the Petra Visitor Centre which has free wifi

Excellent. Sounds like the perfect break stop before the taxi back to port. Thanks.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:53 PM, Curlyjo said:

Shuttlebus was free for our ship. But Aqaba has little to offer and most who went to town were back on the next shuttlebus. We caught the shuttlebus back after a tour that dropped us in town  - almost all its passengers were crew members

JB 🙂