Long Beach Cruise Terminal and LAX Airport

msshawn

I think you will be fine if you carry your bags off of the ship  yourself. When I cruised, I was out of the terminal at 7:45, took the shuttle bus, and was in front of my gate at 9:45.

Traffic was fine. The airport was congested. Lines to check baggage were long. Security lines were really long. We have pre check and there was even a line for pre check. However the pre check line only had about ten people.

Then we had to take a shuttle to our terminal. It was an ordeal and took us longer than any other airport returning from a cruise. But still, we were in front of our gate at 9:45.

i think it all depends on whether or not you carry off your bags and have precheck. The later flight will be less stressful.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

TNcruisingO2, were you on Panorama?  It is not scheduled to dock until 9:00am, but I'm hoping it normally docks earlier!  We will be cruising on Panorama 2/8-15, and our flight leaves LAX at 12:20pm.  We will do early departure and carry our bags off the ship, but I'm a little concerned about making our flight!  

11 hours ago, msshawn said:

We will arrive back from our cruise on 11-21 20, Do you think it would be safe for us to book a flight for 11:25?

My next option would be 12:40

Assuming you are on the Panorama, I'd book the later flight and be more relaxed.

If you'd said the next flight was 3PM or 4PM, I'd say push for the 11:25, but for an hour fifteen sooner, do you need the stress after a nice vcation?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, metromover said:

How far is it from LAX to Long Beach port?   Also on Panorama, but planned to Uber.  Too far?

"How far" is never a question you ask in So Cal. It is "how long". How long depends on day of the week, time of day and time of year.

No it isn't too far for Uber, but we have no idea what disembarkation polices may be in place; if TSA will have new policies and inspections at the airport or what new obstacles may be in place.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, msshawn said:

We will arrive back from our cruise on 11-21 20, Do you think it would be safe for us to book a flight for 11:25?

Be safe, go for the 12:40 flight.

Assuming you're on the Panorama?

From past experience the latest Saturday debarkation has started around 8:15, though Mom had one several hours later because the gangway was having issues.

Problem with the Carnival shuttle is that you have to wait for the shuttle (read Big Bus) to fill up.  Might even have to stop at several LAX terminals.  

For an 11:25 flight you'll need to be at the airport a good two hours ahead of your flight, so that means leaving Long Beach no later than 8:45.  Never know what traffic will be like on the freeways or inside the LAX Horseshoe. 

CBP moves quickly but you'll still have to wait.  The quickest debarkation has been 20 minutes, ship to car, with Diamond Self Assist on a Friday.

A good alternative to the shuttle (no idea what will happen to Uber and Lyft in the future) is simply taking a taxi.  $60 flat + tip to LAX.

11 hours ago, SadieN said:

For an 11:25 flight you'll need to be at the airport a good two hours ahead of your flight, so that means leaving Long Beach no later than 8:45.  Never know what traffic will be like on the freeways or inside the LAX Horseshoe. 

Hi Sadie,

We never get to the airport two hours early for any flight.  We both have TSA pre-check plus "Clear".  We usually get through security in less than 5 minutes and the longest was 10 minutes.  We also don't stress if we were to miss a flight.  We just get a hotel for the night and enjoy a good dinner somewhere and fly out the next day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, msshawn said:

Everybody has different experiences. Ours has told us to be safe book out of LAX no earlier than 130pm. Last two times out of Long Beach and one from  San Pedro were different from each other. Never trust LA traffic. Take the 1240pm flight.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, scottca075 said:

"How far" is never a question you ask in So Cal. It is "how long". How long depends on day of the week, time of day and time of year.

No it isn't too far for Uber, but we have no idea what disembarkation polices may be in place; if TSA will have new policies and inspections at the airport or what new obstacles may be in place.

We sailed out of Long Beach on the Splendor to Hawaii. The bus ride from LAX to the port was about 45 minutes in weekend traffic.