Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
JB333

Transferring to TA group rate after booking onboard?

Recommended Posts

Hi there, were boarding a cruise in a few days and had a few questions.

 

Were looking to book another cruise to Alaska 2021 while on board, but are getting conflicting info from the 2 travel agents we are talking to. The one said we can't book on board then transfer to group booking as it has to be one or the other(this one has also mentioned that they do not have any groups available to join anyway), while the other says you can as long as you pay the full deposit price. 

 

The latter has also said you need to book 3 perks as that is the deal they have right now, although it seems to make more sense to get 1 perk and pay gratuities separate based on Celebrities website. They have mentioned that we would have to fill out their booking forms before leaving (tomorrow) to secure the deal, so they can transfer and charge full deposit while we are still on board before Feb 5th, as that is when the deal ends.

 

Feel rushed and not sure which is true and who to go with. Fairly new to cruising and want the best deal without getting ripped off.

 

Thanks for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should call the agency with the group booking and inquire.   You may not be able to transfer your on board booking to an Agent's Group booking and retain your perks.   Most Group bookings have their own perks and pricing.   JMHO

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can transfer a reservation within 60 days of booking unless when you book the sailing is less 60 out.  In that case you have until final payment to transfer. 
 

when you book on board be sure to tell the Future Cruise person that you want the reservation to remain with Celebrity.  Then when you get home you can check various TA to see who has the best deal.  If you don’t do this your new booking will be transferred to the TA you are currently booked with.  
 

When we have transferred a on- board booking to a TA with group rates we have had to pay the full deposit.  In our cases we kept our perks and gain a bit of OBC.
 

our TAs complete  transfer paperwork for us but not all do.  
 

I would be reluctant to transfer a booking to any TA that pressures you to sign paperwork before you leave.  When I promotion ends another is right around the corner.  The promotion before the current one was better for us than tge one running now. 

Edited by jelayne
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jelayne said:

When we have transferred a on- board booking to a TA with group rates we have had to pay the full deposit.  In our cases we kept our perks and gain a bit of OBC.
 

our TAs complete  transfer paperwork for us but not all do.

Out of curiousity, do you use actual travel agents?  Or the electronic ones where it is mainly a website, and if you call in, you get a different person every time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always had to pay the full deposit when transferring an onboard booking to a TA. I’ve always kept my existing perks and got anything additional the TA was offering, but we usually book with all 4 perks anyway. I don’t think they should necessarily take anything anyway from what you’ve already booked - such as remove a perk. You can also transfer it to one of the rates that are not within the group rating if that would benefit somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mpk said:

Out of curiousity, do you use actual travel agents?  Or the electronic ones where it is mainly a website, and if you call in, you get a different person every time?

 

My TA is associated with one of the large on-line ones but I have his personal business contact information and contact him directly.  If he's not available and it's time sensitive then I can call the 800 number and one of the agents will help me and copy my agent.  Mine doesn't charge any fees.

 

Unfortunately can't recommend TA's on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mpk said:

Out of curiousity, do you use actual travel agents?  Or the electronic ones where it is mainly a website, and if you call in, you get a different person every time?

 

Not sure what you mean by actual travel agent.  The TA I use I contact by phone to book and make changes, they have a website as do most travel agencies and a very efficient customer service group.  I just transferred a booking to them 2 weeks ago.  I didn't know they had group rates on that sailing when I called.  My TA advised me that she could put me in the group and the per person fare dropped by $560.  We kept the same cabin and perks and got  additional refundable OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jelayne said:

 

Not sure what you mean by actual travel agent.  The TA I use I contact by phone to book and make changes, they have a website as do most travel agencies and a very efficient customer service group.  I just transferred a booking to them 2 weeks ago.  I didn't know they had group rates on that sailing when I called.  My TA advised me that she could put me in the group and the per person fare dropped by $560.  We kept the same cabin and perks and got  additional refundable OBC.

Thanks --- really explains it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can book on-board and the book on-board confirmation will go to the agent that booked the sailing you’re presently on. If the agency holds group space on the new sailing booked - they can move you into that space - your book on-board offers will carry over and are usually combineable with group amenities as well. You will have to increase to full deposit to get into the group allocation. It’s a win-win !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Karen Lynn said:

You can book on-board and the book on-board confirmation will go to the agent that booked the sailing you’re presently on. If the agency holds group space on the new sailing booked - they can move you into that space - your book on-board offers will carry over and are usually combineable with group amenities as well. You will have to increase to full deposit to get into the group allocation. It’s a win-win !


You are correct that if you book on board any booking you do on the ship will automatically be assigned to the TA who has the booking for the cruise you are on;  precluding you from shopping around and transferring.  
However, you can request that the booking remain with Celebrity and sign a form to that effect.  Then you have 60days from the date of the booking to shop around for group rates, OBC added perks or whatever is the best deal for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jelayne said:


You are correct that if you book on board any booking you do on the ship will automatically be assigned to the TA who has the booking for the cruise you are on;  precluding you from shopping around and transferring.  
However, you can request that the booking remain with Celebrity and sign a form to that effect.  Then you have 60days from the date of the booking to shop around for group rates, OBC added perks or whatever is the best deal for you. 

 

Yes, of course 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have also been able to transfer an onboard booking to a group rate with our TA, but we have had to pay the full deposit to do so (for example, the onboard booking came with a $200 deposit and we have had to pay the $700 difference in deposit amounts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity groups come with Sail plus or 2 perks, when they run the special of 3 perks you get that promo.  It really shouldn't matter if you book 3 perks on board since they will convert your pricing to a group price (hence 3 perks).  But remember there are only certain categories that get group pricing, not every cabin category will be offered.  They can always move your current reservation into a group ant your current rate and perks to get the extra $50 obc.

 

eclipse.thumb.jpg.7bb7827b94f0fe269900fb7d5b472119.jpg

Here is a good example of group pricing, 15 night South American Cruise.  

 

You can see only a C3 is offered in the Concierge categories with group pricing.  Look at that price difference,  the group price comes with 3 perks, the 1st column is the 1 perk promo NRD.  CRAZY!!

 

So in this example if you had a c1 booked and wanted to keep it, you keep your current pricing and perks but you can get the extra $50 obc.

 

Not all group pricing is this good, this is a really good rate.

 

Hope that helps

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 1:13 AM, whitshel said:

Celebrity groups come with Sail plus or 2 perks, when they run the special of 3 perks you get that promo.  It really shouldn't matter if you book 3 perks on board since they will convert your pricing to a group price (hence 3 perks).  But remember there are only certain categories that get group pricing, not every cabin category will be offered.  They can always move your current reservation into a group ant your current rate and perks to get the extra $50 obc.

 

eclipse.thumb.jpg.7bb7827b94f0fe269900fb7d5b472119.jpg

Here is a good example of group pricing, 15 night South American Cruise.  

 

You can see only a C3 is offered in the Concierge categories with group pricing.  Look at that price difference,  the group price comes with 3 perks, the 1st column is the 1 perk promo NRD.  CRAZY!!

 

So in this example if you had a c1 booked and wanted to keep it, you keep your current pricing and perks but you can get the extra $50 obc.

 

Not all group pricing is this good, this is a really good rate.

 

Hope that helps

 

Where would I find information like your screen print? I would love to be in a 'group' booking for my cruises, but never seem to get one. I do my own research as to which ship, what itinerary, what cabin and then call my TA but I never seem to get any additional OBC, or lower 'group' price....they always seem to have some excuse. And I don't care for any perks like WIFi, gratuities, drink package, etc. OBC and lower price for my cabin is all I am looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...