Beaches between Port Everglades and Hollywood , FL? Or should I go farther north to Ft Lauderdale/ Las Olas beaches?

backforty

What is the best beach between Port Everglades and Hollywood , FL?

Or is it worth going farther north for Ft Lauderdale/ Las Olas beaches? 

My idea of a great beach is NOT crowded. I don't need bars/drinks, or chairs/umbrellas. Prefer being able to enjoy picturesque, photo-worthy beaches and the natural beauty of the area. 

But of course it needs to be safe, and clean. 

What time of year?  All South Florida beaches are crowded this time of year and with South Americans through August.

Basically John Lloyd (or whatever the new name is) state park, the park in North Hollywood Beach.  You can SUP Whiskey Creek in the state park.

10 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

...Basically John Lloyd (or whatever the new name is) state park, the park in North Hollywood Beach. 

the park is now called Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park.

To access the park from Port Everglades (by road) go to US1/Federal Highway.

Go east on Dania Beach Boulevard.

Go north on Ocean Drive.

You are there. 

it’ll take about 20 minutes if you go out the Eller Drive gate to Port Everglades and about 30 minutes if you exit on Eisenhower.

I heartily recommend going an extra block and half south on Federal Highway and visiting Jaxson’s Ice Cream Parlor. It’s a very happy experience.

Basically John Lloyd (or whatever the new name is) state park, the park in North Hollywood Beach.  You can SUP Whiskey Creek in the state park.

It will always be John Lloyd to me 😆...So many found memories of Whiskey Creek as a child in the 80’s. 

Edited by chynnabow

It'll always be John Lloyd to the locals.  Anyways, I don't think John Lloyd beach is ever really that crowded and probably the obvious choice for OP.  It's a large stretch and easy to find a quiet area.

OP, just an FYI.  There is no beach between Port Everglades and Hollywood.  The port is partly IN Hollywood.  However, Dania Beach sits in the middle and is also a good choice.  I'd probably check Dania and if it's busy, continue in to John Lloyd park.

Edited by BNBR

So anywhere the sun trolley drops off at a beach will likely be crowded? 

Is there ample free public parking at Dania and at Dr. Von D. Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park/John Lloyd? 

Are there always people at the state park on weekends? (I just don't want to be by ourselves in some secluded area). I assume FL state park beaches are much different than our NE state park beaches, which are often secluded and empty. 

BNBR, why would you prefer/recommend Dania over John Lloyd? 

On a holiday weekend and during early summer, parking can be challenging in the park. As long as the weather is good, the park should have a fair number of people there any given weekend. There is no free parking at any public beach- your parking is included in park admission or there are fees for lots (either an entrance fee or metered spaces).

While there is a park concessionaire, I suggest visiting Quarterdeck at the Dania pier (south end of the park). It’s a local bar/grill, with a good, diverse, and reasonable menu (and it’s all pretty good- the burgers are a stand-out).

Dania and John Lloyd are essentially the same stretch of beach.  Dania is just quicker, I guess.  Parking is right next to the sand.  If it's not busy, no reason to go to John Lloyd, but Lloyd will be less crowded if it's a busy day.  We are really just talking a difference of parking and which stretch is more or less crowded.  It's the same beach.

Really, what I would do is park at Dania if there is parking (never had an issue finding a spot) and go enjoy the beach.  It's not going to be THAT busy and it's a large beach.  If it's a tad busier than you want, go north of the pier and walk until it's not busy. You can be absolutely secluded if you want to.

Edited by BNBR

Thanks! So are the beaches like Ft lauderdale beach/Ft lauderdale beach park and las olas beach (or crystal beach) over crowded? I'm just going off of google maps (never been there) so apologies if the names are not specific enough. 

Also, are the areas that the sun trolley drops people off good beaches, or is it worth driving farther for a better beach? 

12 hours ago, backforty said:

Thanks! So are the beaches like Ft lauderdale beach/Ft lauderdale beach park and las olas beach (or crystal beach) over crowded? I'm just going off of google maps (never been there) so apologies if the names are not specific enough. 

Also, are the areas that the sun trolley drops people off good beaches, or is it worth driving farther for a better beach? 

We live here and go to Hollywood and Dania.  I'm not a fan of the Fort Lauderdale beaches.  They are not very wide, and right on a main road if you are trying to go around the Las Olas area.  Though Fort Lauderdale Beach Park isn't a bad idea.

I personally wouldn't worry much about crowds.  The beaches just don't get that busy, even on a busy day.