Anyone concern about the Coronavirus and cruising

mouche

I bought rcl and ccl both maybe 15 years ago. Rcl stock has done quite well, ccl not so much. Luckily I've gotten a lot of onboard credit from carnival. I paid about the same for both stocks. I generally cruise fall or winter, used to be both. So no worries, not currently booked, but I can see the reason to worry. I think I originally bought 500 of one and 300 of the other, so more than required, bought as investment too. Rcl far outperformed. 

I just hold so no effect, but agree, the shorts hit it big today on ccl.

I try not to cruise with all the kids spring break or summer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I bought rcl and ccl both maybe 15 years ago. Rcl stock has done quite well, ccl not so much. Luckily I've gotten a lot of onboard credit from carnival. I paid about the same for both stocks. I generally cruise fall or winter, used to be both. So no worries, not currently booked, but I can see the reason to worry. I think I originally bought 500 of one and 300 of the other, so more than required, bought as investment too. Rcl far outperformed. 

I just hold so no effect, but agree, the shorts hit it big today on ccl.

I try not to cruise with all the kids spring break or summer.

Have not seen you post in like forever, welcome back

• Like 1

You want to know what keeps Cruise Executives up at night? A virus like this one.  People will not want to cruise knowing that a ship is now being quarantined.  The entire leisure industry is very concerned about this.  I would not be surprised that future bookings for Spring Break vacations becoming soft.

Edited by CruiseHealing

Not one bit.    Our cruise is on the Breeze in April and this will be our 11th.

Just like any other illness that goes around, I am not going to worry about this.

(knock on wood), I have never gotten sick from a cruise, or airline or any other mass vacation, and I never get sick in my every day encounters.   I am 52, DD is 14 and Mom is 78.   I have to say, we have really strong immune systems (and we aren't germaphobes who use disinfectant sprays or wipes or preventive meds for vitamins either).

Her test came back for flu, not coronavirus.

Honestly, flu and noro are bigger risks, and if this situation validates anything, it's that and not anything to do with your risk of coronavirus and the number of Chinese cruisers.

• Like 2

I have a weekend cruise out of California in April and an Alaskan on Princess in May. My grandmother is already asking if I'm going to cancel them, but I currently have no plans to. 

I don't have a weakended immune system though and we're in our late 20s. If my husband or I did or if we were elderly then I might consider cancelling since those are the only deaths happening from the virus. 

My grandmother had a cruise booked during when either SARS or Bird Flu was a big thing (can't remember which one). They were booked into an inside cabin and got $100/upgrade offered to a suite because there were so many cancellations out of fear. She said the ship was pretty empty too. So we might see that again for the next couple months.

So people will to go about every day life and not worry about the flu, which kills thousands every year? Do you ever think when you get on a plane or a ship, how many people have been exposed to the flu and not showing symptoms yet? Yup, the media grabs hold of a new virus (there are millions), and now the sky is falling.

• Like 4

Back in 2002 we sailed the Disney Wonder and the Norovirus was going around. I remember the entire ship smelled of bleach all the time- the crew was constantly cleaning and disinfecting. They also served you at the buffet- there was no self service. A dear friend who cruised with me and my then two littles ended up getting very sick and had to be quarantined. The rest of us remained healthy. I don’t remember there being a lot of sick people on the ship- but obviously some were affected. The Disney Magic however had to be docked as I think they had a couple very sick sailings around the same time (it was a November cruise- just before Christmas). 

I agree with others. Be a bit more conservative with your self-care, and enjoy your vacation. I always pack a really good first aid kit too- I bring everything I could ever possibly need (and never use). 

On 1/29/2020 at 3:12 PM, ray98 said:

Nope....nothing about a cruise makes it any more risky than any other group of people.

While I don't think a cruise from the US is any great risk, I'm not sure about its being no greater risk than any other group of people. A cruise brings together thousands of people from widely disparate areas. That's a lot more people coming from a lot more places than one contacts in their normal workday life.

(I guess a large university might have that many people traveling from many places, like a cruise. But those people have likely been in place since the beginning of the semester, unlike cruisers who probably just traveled to the cruise.)

Still, that only increases your risk from minute to slightly less minute.

Leaving on the Legend on Sunday out of Tampa and got a text from Carnival this morning saying, if you have been to China in the last 14 days you will not be allowed to get on the ship. Please call customer service for assistance. 

Glad I haven't been in China. 😰

• Like 1

How are they checking to see if someone has traveled to China?  Hopefully checking passports? Otherwise they could just not disclose.   We cruise in less than 30 days.  I contacted our travel insurance company yesterday and was told our "cancel for any reason" policy has a exclusion for epidemics so no coverage should we want to cancel for Coronavirus (unless one of us has it or is quarantined).   Anyone know what cleaning products, wipes are best to take along?  Thanks!  

I cruise in 2 weeks so I am somewhat concerned but I will still cruise unless the cruise line cancels. I won't do anything special. I have a cold right now so hopefully that will boost my immune system once I am over it.

Laura

Thank you!  We've been looking forward to this trip so we are not anxious to cancel!  We are traveling with our young daughter so that likely heightens my concerns.  When I called our insurance company I just wanted to clarify our options should things worsen - actually I think the fear of the virus may be worse than the virus itself - meaning panic and holding entire cruises quarantined due to a fever for uncertain lengths of time sounds terrible.  Hopefully the panic will dissipate over the next few weeks and we will find it is no worse than all the cases of seasonal flu we have each year in the US.  Again, thank you for your well wishes! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmackel said:

Leaving on the Legend on Sunday out of Tampa and got a text from Carnival this morning saying, if you have been to China in the last 14 days you will not be allowed to get on the ship. Please call customer service for assistance. 

Glad I haven't been in China. 😰

Glad to see that the cruiselines are taking precautions to try to limit the possibilities of it coming onboard their ships.  We have an Alaskan cruise planned for May, and some of our travelers are a little nervous of the possible future status of this virus.  I am trying to remain optimistic because this is a bucket list cruise for our entire family.  The cruise along with airfare across country does heighten our awareness though.  

15 hours ago, sfaaa said:

No plan on doing any more flying or cruising until the situation improves. 

That's unfortunate since this is likely to go on for a year or more. The peak in China alone won't be until April or May, estimates say and that's not including wherever else this spreads. 

Will I go to China? No. But I won't let it stop me from traveling altogether and will just take proper precautions wherever I decide to go.

• Like 1

No,  I'm flying this Friday to Florida and cruising on Saturday.  I will be home the following Saturday and the incubation period is 14 days so if the worst thing happens I will be home when I get ill.  

I might feel differently a month from now, but so far I haven't heard anything that would keep me home.

Edited by mek

On 1/31/2020 at 7:24 AM, Debate said:

How are they checking to see if someone has traveled to China?  Hopefully checking passports? Otherwise they could just not disclose.   We cruise in less than 30 days.  I contacted our travel insurance company yesterday and was told our "cancel for any reason" policy has a exclusion for epidemics so no coverage should we want to cancel for Coronavirus (unless one of us has it or is quarantined).   Anyone know what cleaning products, wipes are best to take along?  Thanks!  

Yes, I wonder too how they are checking - couldn't people just say no even if they have been there?

Best wipes I ever found are these hospital grade Clorox wipes.  They are one of the very few that actually kill norovirus.  I got them on Amazon, individually wrapped so you can take them in pocket or purse on shore or around the ship.   50 in a box for about $20 or so.   

20200205_151010.thumb.jpg.b085ddfa821a4e37c902272d159f555c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Saw on the local Los Angeles news this morning (for the Carnival Long Beach port):

The only precautions that are in place today is  you will not be able to board if you have been to China in the last 14 days.

• Like 1

Last week on the Horizon, a few days in, they called quite a few Asian names over the intercom to come to guest services. I was assuming they were checking them or at least inquiring where they had traveled from. If that wasn't the reason, it was a helluva coincidence.  

I don't worry about it or anything else really too much. Whatever will be will be. 

I’m no more concerned about the cruise than I am going to Disney World or the mall or out to eat. My husband just flew through Germany and I guess it is a major connecting airport for China, and he was screened and questioned there. They asked him if he had been through China (which was a no), then took his temperature, and sent him on his way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikaika99 said:

This is a interesting link to follow.  A US passenger on the Princess cruise that is quarantined, is giving a day by day look into his experience on the ship while being quarantined. 

I’m a US citizen aboard the Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Yokohama, Japan. AMA

Wow! What an interesting read! Thanks for posting.