First Transatlantic & Flight Home

This fall we will be taking our first Transatlantic from Rome to Miami arriving at 5:00 am.  My question concerns booking our flight back to Canada.  We could get one departing Miami airport at 12:15 pm or go to Fort Lauderdale airport for a 2:50 pm flight.  I’m wondering which option would be best considering getting through immigration off the ship, finding a taxi or shuttle and the distance to either airport or should we be looking for an even later flight.  We would do luggage self-assist off the ship.  Thank you for any advice.

1 hour ago, Ginlyn said:

This fall we will be taking our first Transatlantic from Rome to Miami arriving at 5:00 am.  My question concerns booking our flight back to Canada.  We could get one departing Miami airport at 12:15 pm or go to Fort Lauderdale airport for a 2:50 pm flight.  I’m wondering which option would be best considering getting through immigration off the ship, finding a taxi or shuttle and the distance to either airport or should we be looking for an even later flight.  We would do luggage self-assist off the ship.  Thank you for any advice.

Doing self assist you would have plenty of time for either airport.  A Uber/ Lyft to Hollywood airport would run about $50.00, do not take the cruise line shuttle. Only thing to consider would be the savings of air fare.  happy cruising

Traffic is stupid in that Miami-Fort Lauderdale corridor at the best of times and keep in mind that you will be contending with morning rush hour traffic as you leave the ship.  Your transportation will head out of Miami on the I-95 and it is not a fast trip in heavy traffic.

Are you connecting to YYG through YYZ or YUL? Depending on airfare and connections, I also would pick the later flight at FLL, although the transfer is more of a hassle. Seats on a later flight can be a big problem if you miss your flight.

US CBP at MIA and FLL is obviously irrelevant. Debarkation Port of Miami is unlikely to be 0500. If you end up not doing self-assist, bag delivery might not start til 0800, Canadians may be consigned to the “Foreign” line even though we don't do the biometric thing. I have NEXUS but it doesn't do me any good at POM/PEV. So best to plan for delays and be happy if you get to the airport early.