Catching a flight out of Sydney

55 minutes ago, MikeyA53 said:

Ovation of the Sea arriving at 6:30 am on Friday, December 11, 2020. Do we have enough time to disembark , go through customs, get to the airport for an international flight leaving  at 1:15 pm. 

With the number of passengers on Ovation of the Seas, disembarkation takes longer than from other ships. The ship has two gangways, but it has been reported that the delay is caused by the Australian Immigration (Border Force) where they don't have enough staff working.  

If the ship arrives on time (they usually do) and you disembark fairly early, you should make it. Consider doing self-disembarkation where you carry your own luggage off the ship. This group usually leaves the ship first, but you might not be able to physically manage your own luggage.

The fastest way to the airport would be in a taxi. When you walk out of the cruise terminal, look for a man in a fluoro vest, the 'taxi marshall'. In the past, I have asked him where I can get a taxi, and he has signalled for one that has pulled up in front of us in a couple of minutes. You will have the disadvantage of trying to get to the airport in peak hour on a working day. Ask the taxi driver to take the toll-roads. He probably would anyway. It is a slight extra cost, but quite a saving in time.

I suggest you check with your airline on the latest check-in time. It is usually two hours prior to departure, but if you are booked in a Business Class seat, you might have an extra 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, MikeyA53 said:

Ovation of the Sea arriving at 6:30 am on Friday, December 11, 2020. Do we have enough time to disembark , go through customs, get to the airport for an international flight leaving  at 1:15 pm. 

Most likely not a problem. Just note that most ships will not arrange airport transfers for any flight before 2pm.

Perhaps do a walk off to ensure you are able to be one of the first off.

3 hours ago, MikeyA53 said:

I don't think so.  If you are flying economy, recommended check in is from 10.15 am.  If the ship is late arriving in Sydney, it would be a nerve wracking end to your cruise.  Suggest you stay overnight in Sydney near OPT and enjoy a relaxing last day.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't think so.  If you are flying economy, recommended check in is from 10.15 am.  If the ship is late arriving in Sydney, it would be a nerve wracking end to your cruise.  Suggest you stay overnight in Sydney near OPT and enjoy a relaxing last day.

The recommended check in time (or the time the check-in desk actually opens) is three hours before a flight. However, the deadline for check in is usually two hours, and in some cases 90 minutes. 🙂

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The recommended check in time (or the time the check-in desk actually opens) is three hours before a flight. However, the deadline for check in is usually two hours, and in some cases 90 minutes. 🙂

However, the risk is all yours, if you book a flight earlier than the recommended earliest flight time for departure overseas. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

However, the risk is all yours, if you book a flight earlier than the recommended earliest flight time for departure overseas. 

I'm not sure that's the case.

There is no extra risk about "earliest flight time" with your flight ticket - it's just whether you make it by check in closing time or not.

If you're referring to travel insurance, we don't know whether the traveller is covered and then even if they are, it comes down to what their policy says which may or may not be consistent with the above statement. So really they need to check their policy to see what their actual policy wording requires.

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

I'm not sure that's the case.

There is no extra risk about "earliest flight time" with your flight ticket - it's just whether you make it by check in closing time or not.

If you're referring to travel insurance, we don't know whether the traveller is covered and then even if they are, it comes down to what their policy says which may or may not be consistent with the above statement. So really they need to check their policy to see what their actual policy wording requires.

I  meant you can't blame anyone else if you miss your flight, because you cut it fine!

9 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the number of passengers on Ovation of the Seas, disembarkation takes longer than from other ships. The ship has two gangways, but it has been reported that the delay is caused by the Australian Immigration (Border Force) where they don't have enough staff working.  

If the ship arrives on time (they usually do) and you disembark fairly early, you should make it. Consider doing self-disembarkation where you carry your own luggage off the ship. This group usually leaves the ship first, but you might not be able to physically manage your own luggage.

The fastest way to the airport would be in a taxi. When you walk out of the cruise terminal, look for a man in a fluoro vest, the 'taxi marshall'. In the past, I have asked him where I can get a taxi, and he has signalled for one that has pulled up in front of us in a couple of minutes. You will have the disadvantage of trying to get to the airport in peak hour on a working day. Ask the taxi driver to take the toll-roads. He probably would anyway. It is a slight extra cost, but quite a saving in time.

I suggest you check with your airline on the latest check-in time. It is usually two hours prior to departure, but if you are booked in a Business Class seat, you might have an extra 30 minutes.

Just a couple of minor corrections ((being a bit picky ..sorry)  

The Ovation only uses one gangway.There are two available but no real need for the second one.

ABF  have enough staff but there is not the space for them to have an extra line to process pax.

The fastest and most reliable traffic wise,  way To the airport, providing the pax are able, is by train.

10 hours ago, MikeyA53 said:

No guarantees of course, but all things being equal, if you nominate the earliest debark time from the ship, usually around 7:15am ( even better if you can take your own luggage off the ship.. preferred option)  the ABF lines should also be shorter if at all and you would be away from the terminal by 8am easily.  You then have two hours before your earliest check in for the flight remembering that  is when check in opens and not everyone will check in at that time You also have the option then of  either booking a transfer thru the ship and there are also transfers for sale outside the terminal.  Taxis can sometimes be a lottery depending on the weather or if there is another ship in at White Bay, ( the other terminal) I think the most reliable  option, time and traffic wise, is the train. The station is an easy five minute walk from the terminal,  providing you are able to handle all your luggage  and the train trip is only around twenty minutes. As I said, all things being equal but no guarantees. Hope this helps.

So we recently had the same question except it was the Ruby Princess and an 11.50 international flight.  We only had the one flight choice or spend the night in Sydney (and an extra days leave which I couldn't really afford to do).  To ease our concern I booked the flight through EzAir (Princess's air booking service) + transfers.  My thoughts were that if the ship was late it was on them to sort out.  

The 11.50 flight was within their flight booking window (from memory 5 hours after the 6pm docking) so they were able to get the flight I wanted.  Everything worked fine - we were off the ship at 7 and at the airport by 8.  

One of the things that likely worked in our favour was Sydney was not our first port of call in Aussie so we did not have to clear customs or immigration as disembarkation.  

In one regard it was stressful (what if the ship was late / what if there was road works etc) but I tried to mitigate that risk by putting some of the onus back on the cruise line.  I would be happy to catch the same flight again in the future... even with a later in the day flight issues could happen.

1 hour ago, sweetp12 said:

So we recently had the same question except it was the Ruby Princess and an 11.50 international flight.  We only had the one flight choice or spend the night in Sydney (and an extra days leave which I couldn't really afford to do).  To ease our concern I booked the flight through EzAir (Princess's air booking service) + transfers.  My thoughts were that if the ship was late it was on them to sort out.  

The 11.50 flight was within their flight booking window (from memory 5 hours after the 6pm docking) so they were able to get the flight I wanted.  Everything worked fine - we were off the ship at 7 and at the airport by 8.  

One of the things that likely worked in our favour was Sydney was not our first port of call in Aussie so we did not have to clear customs or immigration as disembarkation.  

In one regard it was stressful (what if the ship was late / what if there was road works etc) but I tried to mitigate that risk by putting some of the onus back on the cruise line.  I would be happy to catch the same flight again in the future... even with a later in the day flight issues could happen.

Glad it worked well for you.

Thanks everyone, We usually leave late at night or the next day, however this flight is ideal for several reasons. We are not familiar with Sydney and that’s why I was asking. I’ll take everyone suggestions in making a decision. 

14 hours ago, sweetp12 said:

Hi sweetp12

Glad you made it!   Did you get put in a maxi-taxi?   

We went to our allotted spot 15 mins early and before we knew it we were off with assistance, put in the taxi and gone by just after 9am.   Couldn't check in until 10.30, so had a coffee and relaxed.   Checked in at 10.30 once processed through to Koru lounge and waited for our 5.40pm flight.....  The most amazing thing was when we checked in there was noboby (zip) people around and when we went through to Immigration, the same thing!!!  Usually the place is jammed packed with people, and it is horrible.   The time flew - even caught up with some other cruisers in the lounge.    

I have lost your email address.   Drop a line to me at    alfasrest at gmail dot com sometime.

I'll add to one of the other replies in that the best way to get to the airport, particularly as it is at peak traffic time, would be the train.

Get the train right there at circular quay directly to the airport. I think it is about $18 each one way train ticket.

14 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

I'll add to one of the other replies in that the best way to get to the airport, particularly as it is at peak traffic time, would be the train.

Get the train right there at circular quay directly to the airport. I think it is about $18 each one way train ticket.

Closer to $20 now for trip to airport. We usually use the train when at Sydney airport.

Leigh

19 hours ago, DT1304 said:

Would it be a problem to bring a medium and carry suitcase each on the train?

4 minutes ago, MikeyA53 said:

Would it be a problem to bring a medium and carry suitcase each on the train?

No, I'm a senior who regularly travels on the train, with luggage.  There is a small space at the end of each carriage where people with luggage sit, when seats are available.  Otherwise people just stand with their luggage.  There are lifts available at Circular Quay to the platform and at the airport.

Edited by MMDown Under

The train might only take 20 minutes (or 21 minutes according to the NSW Rail website), but the time taken to get on the train has to be factored in. A passenger has to walk to the station and then to the correct platform, dragging their luggage. Trains run every ten minutes so there would be some waiting time.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The train might only take 20 minutes (or 21 minutes according to the NSW Rail website), but the time taken to get on the train has to be factored in. A passenger has to walk to the station and then to the correct platform, dragging their luggage. Trains run every ten minutes so there would be some waiting time.

Of course, but then the same can be said for any form of transport, the taxi and waiting in the queue, or for a shuttle and waiting for the departure time.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It's only a few minutes walk from OPT to Circular Quay Station. We've evidently been fortunate and never had to wait more than a few minutes for a train to the airport. We usually have a largish suitcase each and a backpack and never had a problem. 

Leigh

On 1/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, gbenjo said:

No guarantees of course, but all things being equal, if you nominate the earliest debark time from the ship, usually around 7:15am ( even better if you can take your own luggage off the ship.. preferred option)  the ABF lines should also be shorter if at all and you would be away from the terminal by 8am easily.  You then have two hours before your earliest check in for the flight remembering that  is when check in opens and not everyone will check in at that time You also have the option then of  either booking a transfer thru the ship and there are also transfers for sale outside the terminal.  Taxis can sometimes be a lottery depending on the weather or if there is another ship in at White Bay, ( the other terminal) I think the most reliable  option, time and traffic wise, is the train. The station is an easy five minute walk from the terminal,  providing you are able to handle all your luggage  and the train trip is only around twenty minutes. As I said, all things being equal but no guarantees. Hope this helps.

just checking my list … they have Royal will have a Transfer debarking at 7.15 for a 7.45 departure to the international airport.  This transfer is geared for flights between 12noon and 3pm.... but like Gbenjo says as long as she is on time.....