This came today...

riandei

Given that people have routinely lied at boarding time about coughs, sneezes, fevers, etc., perhaps at least that measure should have been implemented long ago.  I don't know that it would help prevent Noro but it could avoid transmission of flu or plain colds ... or so I would think.  Hopefully anyone banned does have travel insurance.

Also, given the situation in China I can certainly understand banning travelers who have been there recently.  At least THEY get their money back!

A friend on another message board has a nephew who just arrived in China last week to work as an engineer.  He's near Beijing, sort of, but not really near the seriously affected areas.  He seemed intent on staying for the duration, but he informed my friend today that he's coming home on Monday.  I'm guessing his company is sending him home as a precaution ... but that's no more than a guess.

Mura

WE received this letter as well yesterday via email from our TA since we are on a cruise in two weeks.  

What concerns me is the sentence “This is in addition to the non-touch temperature screenings already announced detailed below.”

Did anyone receive any prior announcement of the non-touch temperature screening?

This is the first notification we have received.

Terri

• Like 1

A little different than the one we got today  --  guess it is full steam to China....

or someone forgot to tell the VISA department..... or next week they will email that the stops in Xiamen, Beijing, Shanghai and Dalian are cancelled....

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING
CHINA VISA REQUIREMENT

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors:

We would like to remind you that all United States and Canadian passport holders are required to have a valid China multiple-entry tourist visa for the above-mentioned cruise.  As an optional service to our guests, this visa may be arranged through Oceania Cruises.

Visa Requirements (United States and Canadian Citizens)

ü  China – Multiple entry Tourist Visa*

Guests who arrive at the ship without the required China multiple-entry tourist visa will not be able to board.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CANADIAN PASSPORT HOLDERS:
Effective Tuesday, January 1, 2019, all Canadian passport holders, who are over 14 and under 70 years old, applying for a China visa will need to provide fingerprints in person at their nearest Visa Application Center. Centers are located in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver. An appointment is required to appear for fingerprinting. Kindly contact your local Chinese Consulate or preferred third-party visa vendor for additional information.

If the visa has not yet been obtained, we strongly recommend for it to be acquired at this time - as delays in visa processing may occur, especially in certain jurisdictions.  Those guests who have purchased the China Visa package through Oceania Cruises will receive the visa application kit with instructions approximately 120 to 90 days prior to sailing.

*Kindly note that the number of entries ultimately granted is decided upon by the Chinese consulate.
Oceania Cruises does not have control over the Chinese Consulate’s decision. 

It is imperative that all guests obtain the necessary travel documents prior to your vacation departure. Failure to produce the correct visa and valid passport at embarkation will result in denial of boarding.  Please ensure your passport is valid at least 6 months after your cruise return date.   Passport Cards or copies of passports are not accepted.

We thank you for your attention to this matter, and should you have any questions please contact our Call Center.     

Please disregard this notice if you have already procured the required China multiple-entry tourist Visa.

Warmest Regards,
Oceania Cruises

11 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Very poor that there's no refund if they deny boarding. 

Who knows how well-calibrated these machines are?

+ 1

We're onboard Riviera now and continuing for the next 2 cruises. 

17 minutes ago, dfb said:

+ 1

We're onboard Riviera now and continuing for the next 2 cruises. 

Can you let us know how things are going on board? Has the Captain sent out notices about the concerns or how Oceania will take care of everyone! So they have the non-touch thermometers ? 
Just asking.

will be on her doing 2 cruises on 3/29.

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Can you let us know how things are going on board? Has the Captain sent out notices about the concerns or how Oceania will take care of everyone! So they have the non-touch thermometers ? 
Just asking.

Denise😊

You're not going to Asia, are you?

11 minutes ago, clo said:

You're not going to Asia, are you?

Hi Cath! Oh no!! Just asking. Have friends on HAL right now on the Westerdam and seems like a lot of mixed information going on. China ports are being missed but I think they are going to Japan? Not to sure right now. A lot of stuff on the boards with HAL. I appreciate Oceania at least putting a letter out for everyone in regards to situations. We are on Rotterdam 3/11 going to FLL (Panama Canal) 3/29 TA and doing Monte Carlo to Barcelona 

Hope your doing well my friend!!!

Denise😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Barcelona

I'm jealous. We MUST get back there. 

We're leaving late March for a bunch of places, starting with a Norwegian coastal cruise. Well, I guess not starting actually 🙂 Two days in Oslo, then the glorious train to Bergen. THEN the cruise and then to Paris for five days! Life is good. Stay well.

Cath

• Like 1

I received a memo from my travel agent today, with a slightly modified version of the above statement.

The difference is below:

This new policy is in addition to non-touch temperature screenings for all guests. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not automatically be denied boarding yet may be subject to further screening by the ship’s and/or local medical professionals. If a guest is deemed to be medically at risk, they may be denied boarding. These guests will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Just asking.

Denise😊

There has been nothing announced onboard about coronavirus. We got the same notice above from our TA regarding the 2 following cruises. They have no thermometers onboard that we've seen. I assume there are some in the medical office. I took the Oceania public announcement to mean that they'd be adding temperature taking to the health screen at the embarkation port that they already have in place. We answered a questionnaire in Miami on 1/26 that included noro and corona virus queries. It was just a short set of questions that we checked boxes and dated and signed on 1/26.

Edited by dfb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

I received a memo from my travel agent today, with a slightly modified version of the above statement.

The difference is below:

This new policy is in addition to non-touch temperature screenings for all guests. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not automatically be denied boarding yet may be subject to further screening by the ship’s and/or local medical professionals. If a guest is deemed to be medically at risk, they may be denied boarding. These guests will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider. 

This is much more reasonable and fairer. I wish we'd gotten this one from our TA!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dfb said:

There has been nothing announced onboard about coronavirus. We got the same notice above from our TA regarding the 2 following cruises. They have no thermometers onboard that we've seen. I assume there are some in the medical office. I took the Oceania public announcement to mean that they'd be adding temperature taking to the health screen at the embarkation port that they already have in place. We answered a questionnaire in Miami on 1/26 that included noro and corona virus queries. It was just a short set of questions that we checked boxes and dated and signed on 1/26.

Thank you so much for your reply’

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

Denise😊

• Like 1

These are not thermometers -- but thermal scanners.  Most ports and airports already have these devices and are used to screen incoming passengers.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:31 AM, Paulchili said:

I have heard that some lines go beyond this. For example a Crystal cruise that was to disembark in Hong Kong will now end in Taiwan.

I wonder if Oceania will make any visits to Chinese ports in the near future.

That is the $64 question, I would hope that Oceania makes plans accordingly for Nautica (March) and Insignia (May).  This virus will not disappear overnight.  I was happy to see a ban on China travelers (and not just Wuhan).

Edited by PaulMCO